• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EFJ/Kenwood and SmartConnect

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the Viking line up will work with Motorola SmartConnect? We have a huge issue with coverage in hospitals and at our out bases. I was thinking this may be a good option for coverage, however we use Kenwood portables. Can anyone share experiences with me? Thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No. Kenwood/EFJ subscribers lack LTE capability, so there is no equivalent to MSI's SmartConnect. Even if they had LTE capability, they wouldn't be compatible SmartConnect.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
No. Kenwood/EFJ subscribers lack LTE capability, so there is no equivalent to MSI's SmartConnect. Even if they had LTE capability, they wouldn't be compatible SmartConnect.
I was under the impression this worked via wifi. Moto APX radios other than the Next do not have LTE.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is no standardization in this part of the industry, and they are not compatible, either WiFi or LTE.
I'm not even sure Kenwood has a WiFi solution yet. They are kind of behind the curve on this.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
There is no standardization in this part of the industry, and they are not compatible, either WiFi or LTE.
I'm not even sure Kenwood has a WiFi solution yet. They are kind of behind the curve on this.
I’ve said it before, that’s one of the problems with the P25 standard. They don’t specify how to implement certain features. So Kenwood, MSI, Harris and whoever do it their own way.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I was under the impression this worked via wifi. Moto APX radios other than the Next do not have LTE.
Right, the NEXT connects via LTE, while the 6000BN and 8000 can connect via WiFi.

Still doesn't change the fact that Kenwood/EFJ and SmartConnect are incompatible.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’ve said it before, that’s one of the problems with the P25 standard. They don’t specify how to implement certain features. So Kenwood, MSI, Harris and whoever do it their own way.

I sat in on a session at IWCE where DHS/CISA and a few others were discussing this exact thing. There are suitable standards in 3GPP, and they are working towards that.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Wifi is a feature that allows you to program your radio radios over internet (or OTIP) connection.. you will be able to connect your radio to an access point, and as long as your computer is connected to the same access point, you can write codeplug changes, or update firmware on your radios as if you were directly connected to the radio.

wsp44

Premium Subscriber
This is one area where JVC Kenwood doesn't currently have a path forward with ATLAS that Harris does with BeON. Broadband integration.
Behind the eight ball, the VP8000 would be a game changer if they had broadband integrated into it, and a road map to integrate broadband into ATLAS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The problem is no real standard for broadband integration adopted as part of the TIA P25 standard...yet. It's 1993 all over again: instead of SmartNet it's SmartConnect, EDACS=Beon, and LTR Multi-net=nothing?

Exactly. P25 is old enough to vote/drink/be drafted. They need to get their butts in gear on this now. They've already missed the boat. Like I said above, 3GPP has suitable standards in place.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I think the two incumbents like it the way it is: proprietary walled gardens are in style:
Apple/Samsung

They set the pace for all things tech these days. P25 system manufacturers know broadband integration keeps one coming back to the table and keeps third party subscriber "creep" into their SAS powered world to a minimum.