• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EFJ VP Series Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

morganAL

EF Johnson radios are pretty much non-existant in this area but there are plenty of dealers that sell Kenwood so in theory, they can sell EFJ too. I know at one time some of the EF Johnson radios closely resembled the Motorola XTS series. My question is: Do the EF Johnson VP series portables support Voice Mute like Motorola radios? We have a lot of volunteer fire departments with XTS radios that use this feature and since those are EOL we are exploring options.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
When you say voice mute, I assume you mean like a pager. If that is correct then yes they do.

N5XPM

Based on n7maq-1s description of Voice mute (often known as selective call in tone-voice pagers), many Kenwoods, ICOMs and other brands do as well.

morganAL

The Motorola XTL, XTS, and APX radios have a feature called Voice Mute. It mutes all audio from the radio until a call alert is received from the console. Once the call alert is received, the radio un-mutes. This is on a 700 MHz P25 system.

I have programmed and deployed over 500 Kenwood TK-5410, TK-5430, TK-5910, TK-5930, and NX-5430 and there is no such feature. They don't even have Nuisance Delete for temporarily deleting channels/TGs from the scan list.

N5XPM

on the Kenwood, you might try this for nuisance delete:
(even though this is a little outside the OP's question)

If a key is programmed with the Scan Delete function, each
channel can be locked out of the scan sequence manually.
During scan, you can temporarily remove specific channels
from the scanning sequence by selecting them and pressing
the Scan Delete key.

The channel is no longer scanned. However, when scanning is
ended and restarted, the channels will reset and the channel will
again be in the scanning sequence

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
OK, I verified that the VP900 will do P25 2-tone, I assume that it will mute I din't spend much time. The newer Kenwood NX-5400 radios will also do P25 2-tone decode. The Kenwood TK-54xx as you said did not do 2-tone, even on analog. The VHF and UHF 52xx and 53xx would. If you don't need a dual band radio I would recommend you try the NX-5000 or the EFJ version VP5000 or the VP6000 (much better for fire service) and stay away from the 900.

Jim

rowanRF

The VP/VM radios have a configurable auto unmute feature where a muted radio can be set to unmute if it receives a call alert, emergency call, individual call, or any combination of the three. I'm not sure how the Motorola feature works, but this may be what you're looking for.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I have programmed and deployed over 500 Kenwood TK-5410, TK-5430, TK-5910, TK-5930, and NX-5400 and there is no such feature. They don't even have Nuisance Delete for temporarily deleting channels/TGs from the scan list.

Sir, there is a nuisance delete, when scanning, you hit the hot key you have set for scan add/delete.
if you do not have that set to a key or button, then you are correct, you omitted it from being used.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
While that may be true, not going to argue that point, it has been a kenwood radio thing for many moons, while scanning, you want to temp
remove it from active scan, you hit the scan add/delete button or hotkey (can do it from the menu of the NX-5000 also) and it will take it out
of the current scan until you stop the scan and restart, then that channel is back to normal.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Same applies to ZONE NUISANCE DELETE, you hit the hot key for Zone Add/Delete and it will temp remove the whole zone from scanning, during an active scan. if you stop and start again, it will return to normal scanning.

morganAL

Thanks @rowanRF That sounds like the same basic feature. In the Motorola software, you can assign Voice Mute to a button and the user can lock out/silence the radio whenever they want to. I would assume it is the same in the EFJ software. I wish the TK-5430/NX-5430 did this natively. It is an OK radio for VFDs except it lacks that feature.

The VP/VM radios have a configurable auto unmute feature where a muted radio can be set to unmute if it receives a call alert, emergency call, individual call, or any combination of the three. I'm not sure how the Motorola feature works, but this may be what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.