EFJohnson VHF 5100 portable & 5300 mobile for monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

elyps

Not sure how many folks use EF Johnson VHF P25 gear with smartnet/smartzone around Southern Ontario for monitoring--I've noted elsewhere that they're amazing radios that when set up properly will never bother any controller, never affiliate, never get inhibited, and never respond to any radio ID query, dynamic regroup, OTAR nor radio check. I've heard of folks using the Motorola XTS series with caution due to (understandably) a given system administrator(s) sending inhibit commands that render the Motorola gear "bricked" until someone with proper expertise can unbrick it. These radios don't drop control channels like the Uniden/Bearcat type scanners and are actually submersible & usable as 2-meter, business, or public safety, etc. radios as a particular end-user may be authorized and licenced. I see the tow truck guys with Motorola gear but seldom with EFJ gear...I'm guessing the volume of Motorola surplus far exceeds EF Johnson and/or its a familiarity issue?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I think the reason is availability. If EFJ was as widely available as Motorola, you'd see a mix and match. However, the reality is that Motorola is FAR more common, and therefore, available much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.