Egg Harbor Township PD... Monitoring Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2UYM

Hello everyone... This is my first post so I hope that I am doing this correctly for the group.

I used to be a very big scanner listener back in the 90s and 00s when I lived in Cape May County. Since moving to EHT in Atlantic County in 2010, I have not gotten into the hobby because I was told that listening to my municipality police calls was not possible because of the technology that they used. I happened to stumble along the site this morning and noticed that it states that EHT PD uses P25 Phase II, which I am seeing that scanners do exist for monitoring. However, I am also noticing that the site is saying that EHT PD calls are "encrypted", but there was no additional information given.

My question is, (before I spend a few hundred on a P25 Phase II scanner), is that if I were to purchase such a radio, would I be able to monitor Egg Harbor Township police? Is there anyone out there from this area that could point me to the right direction on if it is possible?

Thanks to everyone in advance,
-Kris

W2SJW

Database Admin
No, you cannot. They are encrypted 24/7, even though the main county system is able to be monitored by the latest scanners that support Phase-II.

PM08203

Premium Subscriber
ENC

So far I have not detected any ENC on the Atlantic County P25.....but that could change at any moment.

On the Atlantic City 800 MOT system ACPD CH 6 (Vice) is ENC.

KC2UYM

So far I have not detected any ENC on the Atlantic County P25.....but that could change at any moment.

Now for someone that has never monitored a digital band before (all of my scanner experience to date has been analog), how would I know if a signal was encrypted? Would I just never hear anything on that channel, or would it sound like any other scrambled transmission?

W2SJW

Database Admin
On newer Uniden models, they would flash ENC in the lower corner. On ENC Motorola Type-II digital systems, the scanner would block the entire transmission due to the 'status bit' used on those system.

On P25, you will hear garble (both Phase-I and Phase-II). Here are some sound bytes from my website, as encryption on FDMA (Phase-I) and TDMA (Phase-II) have noticeably different sounds:

Phase-I
Phase-II

KC2UYM

Okay, so it sounds to me that for EHT it would be a "try at your own risk" since it can go ENC at any time then... At least I'm getting closer to hearing them a little bit, and at least if I were to buy a scanner now I could listen to surrounding areas. Is there any scanner models that you would recommend/not recommend for curiosity sake?

KC2UYM

On newer Uniden models, they would flash ENC in the lower corner. On ENC Motorola Type-II digital systems, the scanner would block the entire transmission due to the 'status bit' used on those system.

On P25, you will hear garble (both Phase-I and Phase-II). Here are some sound bytes from my website, as encryption on FDMA (Phase-I) and TDMA (Phase-II) have noticeably different sounds:

Phase-I
Phase-II

Thank you so much for these clips... It sounds just like a poor DSTAR transmission on Ham. :) I appreciate the knowledge on all of this since it's been years since I had been involved in this hobby. :)

W2SJW

Database Admin
I would highly recommend the Uniden 325P2 or the 436HP (assuming you want a handheld).

Both are now fully capable of being upgraded to receive DMR as well as Phase-II capable right out of the box.

I love my 436, as the three-section display of 23 characters a section makes for awesome alpha-tags!

Sent from may Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk 6

acscan

As of today, it sounds like EHTPD went encrypted. They were clear the other day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EHT PD is currently not ENC on TG15101.

I am monitoring EHT on my BCD436HP,
Some are encrypted and some aren't,
They have the ability to switch to encryption, or switch it off,
To talk to groups that do not have encryption availability.
At least that is my assumption.

mondaro

Feed Provider
For those who give up on a agency that use encryption don't give up on it, departments like Kearny and Rutherford Police at times DO NOT have encryption activated and they can be monitored while towns like Toms River Police I have never heard them take off encryption.

coolderb

As of today, it sounds like EHTPD went encrypted. They were clear the other day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess Mayor McCullough is pissed that his son was busted for having an accident while texting. No charges were incurred so he should be happy.

Oh well, that's life in EHT......high taxes, cronyism and corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.