Eglin F-35's

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast77

I live in the Pace area about 15-20 miles from Eglin. Has anyone else in the Panhandle area been hearing a rumbling sound. I have been hearing it all day and night for the past 2 days. I am assuming that it is coming from the F-35's which I believe were recently cleared for flight? I haven't been listening to the mil-air freqs yet. I haven't had the time. I just turned it on to see what I can hear. Anyone hear anything yet? Have any Freqs? If the rumbling I am hearing is from the F-35's then those things are loud. I have never heard this much noise unless they were doing bombing runs and even that was not this bad.

Tom

Last edited:

ki4wbn

Ah, yes. The first F-35 took off from Eglin on Tuesday morning around 10am.

It flew for 10 minutes before another aircraft flying with it noticed a large vapor trail coming from the aircraft, and then the pilot declared an inflight emergency for a fuel malfunction. I do think though that they are now flying.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
There's also been a massive exercise over the gulf the last week involving various units including Minot, ND B-52's, call sign: FEAR 6x. That exercise could factor in to some of your rumblings. And I second the notion of the F-35 being loud. Being a single engine fighter it's bound to have a powerful power plant. Can't wait to get to see one.

actionj24

Premium Subscriber
Actually you are hearing F/A - 18 hornets and Super hornets doing their night time carrier quals out on OLF Choctaw. They are staying on NAS Pensacola and flying out in the evening. They had to move training down here from VA do to construction there.

Status
Not open for further replies.