El Paso County Colorado (Sheriff) Issue

tcarro15

TV News Manager & Firefighter
Premium Subscriber
For several weeks now, I've notice that I am not picking up EPSO N Dispatch (TG 4710 on DTRS) and I know they're using N dispatch. It's not an encryption issue or anything like that. I'm using both whistler 1065 and a bcd325p2 and neither are picking it up. I've had both locked on it for nearly an hour here on the newsdesk and nada. Is there anyone in the area that can confirm this? Maybe a move to a different TG ID and it's just not updated in RR Database yet? I'd love to resolve this issue, we missed comms on an OIS today and I'd really not like to have that happen again.

Thanks

tcarro15

Premium Subscriber
Well, there ya go. That worked. Strange that I could hear them on the cheyenne mountain site just fine up until a few weeks ago, then it just stopped. I can hear them on COS simulcast just fine though. Same with county FD it seems, I'll have to put them in there on COS simulcast as well, I feel like something got shifted around, but who knows. I've been doing scanners for most of my 38 years of life, and heavily my entire adult life as a news photojournalist and now assignment manager. I'm also a ham, so I'm not new to any of it. We all have our moments though lol.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I suggest programming El Paso County Zone (RFSS) 4 as its own separate system from the rest of DTRS if the scanner does not support scanning multiple sites.

El Paso County operates its own subsystem (Zone 4) that is usually kept separate from the rest of DTRS. As a result, El Paso County talkgroups will often be denied from the main system, and El Paso County will deny most talkgroups for the rest of the state on their subsystem. There are sometimes rare exceptions, but those can change as you have experienced. It is pretty silly because it forces both sides to have to put up sites to provide redundant coverage.

radio

Premium Subscriber
I just checked. El Paso SO North 4710 and El Paso SO South 4712 are transmitting just fine on DTRS 4-28 Colorado Springs Simulcast with my SDS 100.

Occasionally El Paso SO North 4710 and El Paso Red 4770 and C channels are on DTRS 4-25 Douglas Co Swank and DTRS 1-14 Douglas South Simulcast.

El Paso SO South 4712 and El Paso Red 4770 and C channels occasionally uses DTRS 6-48 Cheyenne Mt during heavy traffic during major incidences.

tcarro15

Premium Subscriber
This is venturing out into the ' I'm confused ' territory. I will have to take a look when I'm at home, I'm sitting on the newsdesk right now and can't fiddle with it too much. I am planning on getting an SDS-100 or 200 as soon as I can, but it may be a couple months.
As of right now, my 325P2 is picking up all of EPSO N 4710, EPCO RED, and all the other EPSO/EPCO FD channels, on just the Colorado Springs simulcast site. I will have to do some more digging into programming specific sites in separate banks.

Tim

tcarro15

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that's the plan, to get one of each (to start) but it'll probably have to be closer to fall before I can swing it in my own personal budget. I may need someone to educate me on the best way to program them though lol. I definitely want an SDS100 asap though, to use at home and carry to work on the news desk.

radio

Premium Subscriber
Check Ebay. Sometimes you can find used SDS 100s and 200s including some already having one or more of the premium upgrades of ProVoice, DMR/MotoTRBO and NXDM. I found a 100 with all 3 upgrades that sold for over $200 less than regular $649 plus $75 for each upgrade.

As for programming software, I use ProScan because it will program all my scanners even the old 780 and 246. Sentinel is needed to update the scanner firmware and the RR database. And I use Sentinel to customize my Display Options.

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
Check Ebay. Sometimes you can find used SDS 100s and 200s including some already having one or more of the premium upgrades of ProVoice, DMR/MotoTRBO and NXDM. I found a 100 with all 3 upgrades that sold for over $200 less than regular $649 plus $75 for each upgrade.

As for programming software, I use ProScan because it will program all my scanners even the old 780 and 246. Sentinel is needed to update the scanner firmware and the RR database. And I use Sentinel to customize my Display Options.
If you have some new talkgroups why don't you submit them?

MountainMoose

Yeah, that's the plan, to get one of each (to start) but it'll probably have to be closer to fall before I can swing it in my own personal budget. I may need someone to educate me on the best way to program them though lol. I definitely want an SDS100 asap though, to use at home and carry to work on the news desk.
Station won't foot that bill for them? or reimbursement?

scanner_nut

I have a Uniden SDS100 that I program using Sentinel programming software. I solved the problem of trying to guess what agency radios are programmed to use RFSS group 4, 6 or both by combining the control channel frequencies from the 2 RFSS groups (4 and 6) into one site called "combined". I have favorite lists that contain the agency talk groups that use the "combined" site. The scanner will monitor for the talk group(s) that I want to listen to by monitoring the control channels of both RFSS groups. Here are the links that I reference: The Colorado DTRS sorted by county - State of Colorado DTRS Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State. There are 2 separate RFSS groups that provide coverage in El Paso County. RFSS group 4 supports Colorado Springs using simulcast - State of Colorado DTRS Site: Colorado Springs Simulcast. RFSS group 6 Cheyenne Mountain site State of Colorado DTRS Site: Cheyenne Mountain. RFSS group 6 Quail Lake site State of Colorado DTRS Site: Quail Loop.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
I have homepatrol 2, I also have APX 900 with nationwide talkgroups, I'm also a firefighter
Understood. I'm sure you can see from the RR database that we have a Simulcast system here. Hopefully, your radios will be able to monitor enough to keep you occupied :) In my personal experience, the only units that gave me great monitoring capabilities for my area were the Uniden SDS series and Unication pagers. Your mileage may vary. I hope you have an enjoyable visit.