El Paso - Digital voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Las Cruces and can monitor many services coming from El Paso (~50-60 road milels).

I was watching News Channel 9 this morning, and they had a short clip where a reporter was interviewing an animal control officer in the latter's vehicle. There was a transmission over the ACO's radio, and it sounded pure and crisp, like digital voice, like the transmissions you hear on the present National Geograohic channel series of "Border Wars" .

I know the ACO in El Paso are not on the City's Motorola's trunk system which is all analog voice (no P25).

1. Anybody know of digital voice in the El Paso area, other than CBP and Texas DPS?
2. Does Radio Shack in El Paso sell digital voice scanners? I never bothered to check on this.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
soncorn you beat me.

Like he said though, they sound similar, though if you listen to them enough they do have distinct sounds. Very different sounding than analog and my best guess would be that they are PV Digital. Which sucks- because it costs a lot of money and know how to listen to them...

CapSS92

Wrong wrong wrong and wrong again. Animal control guys ARE on the city's system. They are dispatched by EPPD dispatchers and use the callsigns of ANI***, ANI 601, ANI 902, etc. There is no EDACS anywhere in the city system and there never will be. They have spent tons of money on Motorola and are not about to drop it all anytime soon. Also the Sheriff's Dept started their own animal control for the county areas and they are dispatched off the regular VHF SO channels so it's possible you may have heard them and they are a BUNCH louder than the EP system. HTH.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Wrong wrong wrong and wrong again.

So why would you not submit this information to the database? If we are wrong, than we are all wrong because of the information we've been given, which if it truly is misinformation should be changed. We're simply trying to help.

If you would be so kind to submit your database changes we could all provide quality information.

Submitting what you know would be extremely helpful.

CapSS92

I already did. A lot of what is there I submitted a long time ago. The animal control guys only came on board less than a year ago and there is no dedicated channel for them. They are in the mix with regular patrol units. And I did submit and post before that there will be no EDACS. Removal of that info is beyond my control. And let's face it, it is a big database so I can see a delay from admin to update everything for everyone. As for the talkgroups that are listed for El Paso, the majority is accurate for listening. What has changed has been mainly minor talkgroups that rarely,if ever, get used. HTH.

BaLa

According to the database:
El Paso City and County Trunking System, El Paso, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

It looks like El Paso uses an EDACS trunking system with ProVoice digital voice. So that is probably what you heard.

It can be tracked and listened to but it is pretty expensive to get a set up going. There is nothing straight off the shelf that will do it.

They are no longer using this system, Unless they are using it AGAIN.
This is the System they were using last time I was down there.

El Paso (3802) Trunking System, El Paso, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

In the News Updates for the other systems, it mentions they are still using it but not for PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.