El paso help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adarosesmommy

Just got trunk scanner and not sure im using it correctly. i have the radioshack mobile/base radio triple trunking scanner. trying to get pd. but not sure what it the most used frequency to hear most of what is going on. Can someone help a newbie out please?

Just got trunk scanner and not sure im using it correctly. i have the radioshack mobile/base radio triple trunking scanner. trying to get pd. but not sure what it the most used frequency to hear most of what is going on. Can someone help a newbie out please?

What model RS scanner did you get? There is software that can make life easy for you in the programming area. Did the Radio Shack clerk/manager offer to help you program the scanner? At least in the past they offered to program the local stuff right in the store.

If you get software, you will need a pc/scanner cable to transfer data.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
El Paso, as was discussed in this thread earlier today, is on a digital EDACS ProVoice with ESK trunked radio system.

EDACS ProVoice analog can be trunk tracked, but looking at the database page here, it looks like all the known talkgroups are digital which means no scanner can track this system. It could be done with gratuitous amounts of money, and some professional EDACS ProVoice radios... but is typically considered not worth the task.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
adarosesmommy,

If you'd like assistance programming anything from El Paso County, we'd need to know a few things:

1. The model of scanner you have.

2. Now that you know the digital EDACS ProVoice w/ ESK can't be tracked, what would you like to be able to listen to? Anything on this page with a "D" for the mode (digital) is a no-go. However, depending on the scanner it can still be programmed in and you can try to identify any analog talkgroups (if there are any).

Lastly, welcome to RR.

adarosesmommy,

If your scanner is a PRO-97 or PRO-2055, Starrsoft's WIN97 programming software, and the appropriate pc/scanner interface cable, you can load the El Paso Motorola trunk system 3802 as given in radioreference.com into your scanner and you then can listen to the city police, fire, ems, buses, and more. I know that the PRO-163 and PRO-164 also use WIN97, but use a different data cable than the 97 and 2055 do. I do not have the 163 or 164.

Or as I suggested, go or call one or more of your Radio Shack stores in El Paso and ask if they can program your scanner for you (at least one is likely to help you program you scanner for free with the El Paso City trunk system).

I know for a fact that you can listen to the El Paso police here and now, as I am doing as I write this. It is not EDACs. It is Motorola, analog and unencrypted voice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I thought our information looked spotty.

If a DBA reads this, we should get El Paso County checked out. It has no area at the top discussing the trunking systems that the public safety is on, like the other counties.

soncorn

It looks like the EDACS system is licensed to an Indian Reservation.

WPQA229

ULS License - Public Safety Ntl Plan, 821-824/866-869 MHz, Trunked License - WPQA229 - YSLETA DEL SUR PUEBLO

The Motorola system (3802) is licensed to the city of El Paso.

WPDI992

ULS License - Public Safety/Spec Emerg, 806-821/851-866 MHz, Trunked License - WPDI992 - EL PASO, CITY OF

I think there is probably room for improvement in the database entries, but it will take people in the area to make it successful and accurate.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I think there is probably room for improvement in the database entries, but it will take people in the area to make it successful and accurate.

Agreed, I think it could use a "Featured Radio Systems in El Paso County" similar to most other county pages.

Once, ada gets back on we'll be able to inform him a little better about what it's going to take to hear anything. Then we can gets these El Pasoans to start submitting some current info...

So is the EDACS system still active?

If so what is it being used for?

I don't know. I never intended to program it as long as I was getting the Motorola system okay, and because I would not be able to decode ProVoice anyway.

Note this statement in this URL:

Latest News Update Posted on 2008-05-29 08:30:35
It is reported that ESK is no longer active as of 05/30/2008

El Paso City and County Trunking System, El Paso, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

And click on the "Click Here to Display All Past News Updates (6 Total)"

The Sun Metro bus service is heard on the Motorola system

soncorn

The critical portion of the news updates from the database entry is this one:

The City of El Paso has decided to drop public safety communications from this system due to unforeseen problems with coverage. The system will stay implemented for city services such as Sun Metro, the Airport, Convention Center and the Public Works Department. Some talkgroups will be digital and others will be analog. For now, the airport talkgroups, and convention center talkgroups are active.

CapSS92

ADA send me a message on how to contact you and I can help you program your scanner. I'm in El Paso. As for the info on talkgroups and such the database is pretty much dead on. There's not a whole lot missing or inaccurate on that list. What needs to be removed is any reference to the EDACS system. It will never happen and there are no plans for it to happen. What will be happening is a switch to digital in the near future. But even that is still a few years away from being fully implemented. The ground work for the digital system is being put into place already. As for coverage an additional two repeaters are being added to the five that are currently being used so that should help a lot. El Paso has a mountain that runs right thru the whole town so coverage sucks no matter what system you use. The only ones with good coverage are the SO which use VHF. Hope this answers any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.