El Segundo to Contract with South Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Well looks like the rumors and news of talks have led to an agreement for the City of El Segundo to return to South Bay Regional Public Communications Authority for Police and Fire Dispatching.

SBRPCA agreement is expected to be approved by the El Segundo City Council on April 6th.
Under the proposed 10-year agreement all current El Segundo dispatchers would also be offered employment by South Bay.
Once approved the transition is expected to take 4-6 months.

Details on the agreement can be viewed at;
http://www.rcc911.org/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/agendas_minutes_rpts/staff_0310_3e.pdf

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Full circle - almost

It definitely was looking like economics was going to force El Segundo's hand, starting when they lost Hermosa Beach back to South Bay as a dispatch customer in 2003.

As I think I mentioned here before, it's interesting that when South Bay was being cobbled together in 1974-77, the guy pretty much leading the charge was Jim Johnson, El Segundo's chief of police. It was out of operational necessity back then, rather than economics. Eight of the ten "original" South Bay PDs had to share 154.86 and 155.61 between them, which was total chaos (Culver City, Inglewood and Torrance dropped out during the formation period). The recent arrival of UHF-T (Ch 14) frequencies and computer-aided dispatching theoretically made forming the JPA a very logical and efficient idea at the time, but due to both operational and political issues, there were unforeseen problems right from the get-go, and more than half of the agencies dropped out over the years.

Of all those break-ups, it turned out that the most contentious was between founding-member El Segundo and South Bay beginning in 2001, when ES attempted to "get back" ownership of what they claimed had been their own exclusive frequencies when they joined South Bay in 1975. But they lost that battle at every turn with both the FCC and in the courts. It sounds like everyone's trying to put that behind them now and play together better. If I know anybody I know dispatchers (including I think two who were at So Bay when I was there and haven't retired yet), and they're not people who will let politics affect their work either way.

Well looks like the rumors and news of talks have led to an agreement for the City of El Segundo to return to South Bay Regional Public Communications Authority for Police and Fire Dispatching.

SBRPCA agreement is expected to be approved by the El Segundo City Council on April 6th.
Under the proposed 10-year agreement all current El Segundo dispatchers would also be offered employment by South Bay.
Once approved the transition is expected to take 4-6 months.

Details on the agreement can be viewed at;
http://www.rcc911.org/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/agendas_minutes_rpts/staff_0310_3e.pdf

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Is Redondo Beach next?
I haven't heard anything lately, but in 2005-07 there was some talk at a couple of South Bay's Board meetings about the possibility. At the time it was said that RBFD had expressed some interest in pursuing the idea, but that the police chief had no interest in it at all.

From their 1/23/2007 Board of Directors, Executive Committee and User Committee Meeting minutes (no longer online, that I can find):

"Executive Director Mailloux related the Redondo Beach Fire Department’s request to use one of the Authority’s UHF radio frequencies for interoperability purposes.

"[Manhattan Beach Fire] Chief Groat explained that, during emergencies that require mutual aid, Redondo Beach has been isolated from other South Bay cities because of the frequency on which they have been operating. He pointed out that it would be good to further populate the Authority’s Fire Tactical 2 UHF frequency and that, according to Chief Madrigal’s letter of December 7, 2006, Redondo Beach offered to pay to use it. It was Chief Groat’s feeling that, even if it means charging them, Redondo Beach Fire Department should be permitted to operate on one of the Authority’s UHF frequencies during emergencies that require mutual aid.

"Noting that he and [MB] City Manager Dolan gave the Redondo Beach City Manager a tour of the Authority’s facility a few months ago, [Hermosa Beach] City Manager Burrell pointed out that this could be an opportunity to begin discussions about the Authority providing Redondo Beach’s 9-1-1 dispatching services.

"Executive Director Mailloux stated his impression that Redondo Beach’s Police Chief has no interest in returning to the Authority.

"City Manager Dolan observed that an opportunity to provide 9-1-1 dispatching services to the Redondo Beach Police Department is probably down the road when their current Police Chief leaves. He agreed to the idea of approving the Redondo Beach Fire Department’s request with the caveat that they pay for it."​

I don't know if the players, especially the Redondo COP, are still the same or if there's been any movement since then. South Bay's original dispatch center was at RBPD - in the windowless, stuffy basement that was their old pistol range, but Redondo quit in 1983 and the "RCC" moved to a former school administration building in Hawthorne until they built their current center next door to Hawthorne PD.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
As part of the ongoing talks about the merger of Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach FD's, there has been talk luring Redondo FD over to South Bay. So its quite possible the combined department might indeed use South Bay in the coming year.

Back to El Segundo, in the long run they might be losing their own fire department in favor of LACoFD. Last December the City council authorized a request for LACoFD to do a study and proposal to cover El Segundo. Budget times are hard, and smaller cities often cant afford the luxury of providing all their own services.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Harry:

I remember those days, I lived in Redondo at the time, as I recall Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach were dispatched by South Bay on the same channel. I thought a consolidated dispatch center was an excellent idea, but you know how turf wars go.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Done deal.
The City Council this week approved the move back to South Bay Regional Public Communications Authority.

news story:
The Beach Reporter -

City Council report: (see item F10)
http://www.elsegundo.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=7563

The move is estimated to save the City an average of about $1.38mil annually over the 10-year agreement. All current police and fire dispatchers would be offered positions by the SBRCA with transition expect to occur over the next 6-months.

Status
Not open for further replies.