Elad FDM S2 or sdrplay rsp2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Obviously I know that the elad costs three times as much. However, I know that doesn't always mean it's a better product. I owned an elad FDM S2 a couple years ago and loved it. Unfortunately I sold it to help offset the purchase of a new icom transceiver. The sdrplay rsp2 looks promising and Id really like to get another sdr receiver. Before I spend $500 on another Elad, I'd like to hear from someone who has used both. Thanks!

invergordon

G'Day Chad, I have owned both and really there's a world of difference between the two. For serious HF stuff I have to go for the Elad as the RSP2 is more an experimental receiver and not really designed for what I would call 'normal listening'. The RSP2 has heaps of features and extended frequency range but I found the SDR Uno software difficult to manage at times and sensitivity was quite a bit below that of the Elad. I did enjoy the Elad SW2 software and it is a fine HF receiver, very worthwhile having around. If I had to choose I'd definitely pick the Elad FDM-S2, I didn't keep the RSP2 for too long!

You know there's an S3 in the wings? May be worth waiting for.

k1xd

I own and use both SDR receivers. I like the RSP2 for VHF and UHF and the FDM-S2 for HF. It's hard to beat the FDM-S2 for features and performance on HF. The frequency coverage on the RSP2 goes to 2Ghz. I'd say get both !

Dave

p1879

I have a SDRPlay and it is a fascinating device, really a growth experience for me. Not trying to derail the two fascinating comparisons, but on a similar note the burgeoning advent of the new Airspy HF+ is said to be near. The reason I bring this other radio up is because I think it is being compared to some Elad radios in some discussions I encountered. I am very interested in learning more myself. The new radio, however, does not work above the vhf band.
p1879

invergordon

Likewise, I am waiting with bated breath for the Airspy HF+, it's performance looks very good for its ridiculous price and like Simon Brown (SDR Console) says it's likely a game changer in the world of HF SDR's.

Status
Not open for further replies.