Eldora Mountain Resort now MOTOTRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundchaser

I've been wondering why I haven't heard any Eldora Ski traffic on my scanner, despite today being opening day. Looks like WNEB937 was modified over the summer to include 7K60FXE emission designators (2-slot DMR (Motorola MOTOTRBO) TDMA voice). When I tuned into one of the freqs with an SDR, I could hear digital modulation.

I guess now is a good time to learn how to design a radio using GNU Radio Companion on Linux. :/

soundchaser

In the past I've heard Ned Fire, RMR, and county deputies on the Ski Patrol frequency during certain events for mutual aid. I don't know if these responders had ski patrol frequencies programmed into their radios, or if they had separate radios, and how the switch to MOTOTRBO changes things for mutual aid.

soundchaser

At the moment, this is what I've got so far.

MOTOTRBO Capacity Plus trunking system.

451.3500 MHz, LCN: 1(?), Color Code: 4
461.1500 MHz, LCN: 2(?), Color Code: 4

TGID Description
1 Snowmaking / Grooming
2 Tac
3 Ski Patrol / Medical Emergencies
4 Tac
5 (No hits)
6 Lift Operations
7 Tac
8 Parking/Base Operations
9 Tac
10 (No hits)
11 Administration
22 Broadcast/Announcements

If someone has the ability to confirm the LCNs (e.g. DSD+), that would be great.
One problem with scanning this system is that there is another agency on 451.3500 which causes the scanner to stop and try and decode the weaker signal. I haven't checked the location of the competing agency, but if you're near it, it may make monitoring this system difficult.

I've labeled some channels as Tactical. They are basically used for people who move their conversations off the main channels. But given that it's early in the season these IDs might actually be dedicated for things like ski school and racing events but are not in use yet.

The users often refer to channel numbers, analogous to the previous analog system, and most of the time they match the TGID, but sometimes they don't.

If you're not familiar with Capacity Plus, 2 voice/data slots fit on each frequency and the control channel roams the slots, as do the voice conversations. Although their FCC license is for 5 repeater frequencies, they are currently using only these two. I'm mostly using a BCD996P2 with DMR upgrade to monitor this system.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If you're not familiar with Capacity Plus, 2 voice/data slots fit on each frequency and the control channel roams the slots, as do the voice conversations.

Capacity Plus does not have a control channel. It is much like LTR trunking.

The system will have a a rest channel that beacons ever 1.92s to let subscribers know the system is there and to facilitate roaming in multisite systems.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I've labeled some channels as Tactical. They are basically used for people who move their conversations off the main channels.

Yea "Talk Around Channels"

I am sure there aren't much "Tactical" operations blowing snow, collecting tickets, and organizing the ski rides

DanRollman

Database Admin
Yea "Talk Around Channels"

I am sure there aren't much "Tactical" operations blowing snow, collecting tickets, and organizing the ski rides

Broadly speaking, tactical relates to detailed planning.

It is a common misconception that the term 'tactical' is somehow limited only to SWAT or undercover type activities. Tactical, or Tac, is an entirely appropriate designator for radio channels where users customarily go to talk in more detail about whatever they are doing or need someone else to do, whether or not they have guns or badges. Of course, such 'tactical' communications can often take place on a primary radio channel, but secondary radio channels are also often set aside for these 'tactical' communications that frequently take more time to complete than the usual messages that are carried over primary radio channels. One 'tactic' for how to blow snow is surely better than another, and no doubt they occasionally need to talk about which tactic will be preferred. Ticket takers may want to communicate to develop a tactic for how best to address an unusually long line. These are all tactical communications. Telling someone to 'go to tac' is an instruction to go to a radio channel reserved for such detailed communications, not an instruction to don fatigues. Of course, "talk around" is a fine description too. As is "alternate" or "secondary". All the same, in this context.

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

jgeiger

Wondering if Loveland Ski Area also went DMR? Nothing heard this season on the usual Patrol & Ops channels from years past.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Try the new license for Loveland Basin Ski Area. It’s licensed for DMR.

FCC Callsign WRDN669 (CLEAR CREEK SKIING CORP.) D/b/a Loveland Basin Ski area.
06/12/2019 License Issued
451.1250 - 7K60FXE (DMR) - FB2 (repeater)
451.2500 - 7K60FXE (DMR) - FB2 (repeater)
452.3250 - 7K60FXE (DMR) - FB2 (repeater)

FCC Callsigns within 4 Miles of N 39.680109 W -105.897067 (Loveland Ski area)

The older Loveland Basin Ski stuff is on this FRN.
FCC Licenses for FRN: 0020368312 (Clear Creek Ski Corporation)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.