Electra Bearcat IV scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj4iyl

Bought an Electra Bearcat IV at The Goodwill store ( $5.00 ) no antenna, no power cord...but what the heck. I took an old AC cord...cut and soldered to terminals on back ( not safe I know) but got power and the led's lit up and when moving the squelch back counter clockwise they took off. I used the external antenna jack with a 3.5mm plug connected to about 120' of wire in my attic used for a shortwave antenna for my Radio Shack Patrolman 8. Absolutely no sound from the Bearcat...Volume up all the way, squelch moved all over the place, manual and auto scan...still nothing. I then connected a external speaker to the rca jack and went through the same procedure. Nothing! I am not a tech when it comes to fixin' electronics but I don't mind piddling with a $5.00 Goodwill purchase. Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem? Before I break out the hammer,chisel and chainsaw I thought I might ask. Any info would be appreciated. Still looks neat even if it doesn't work.

Thanks,
kj4iyl

scanchs

Got Crystals?

Bought an Electra Bearcat IV. Absolutely no sound from the Bearcat...Volume up all the way, squelch moved all over the place, manual and auto scan...still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem? Before I break out the hammer,chisel and chainsaw I thought I might ask. Any info would be appreciated. Still looks neat even if it doesn't work.

Thanks,
kj4iyl

The Electra Bearcat IV scanner uses crystals for tuning. Have you checked to see if your radio has any crystals in it? If yes, are they the correct frequencies to pick up anything in your area? If no, then that's the problem. There are various websites that sell crystals for those old scanners. Just type "Bearcat crystals" into Google and go for it... :)

ScanCHS

kj4iyl

missing one crystal

The Electra Bearcat IV scanner uses crystals for tuning. Have you checked to see if your radio has any crystals in it? If yes, are they the correct frequencies to pick up anything in your area? If no, then that's the problem. There are various websites that sell crystals for those old scanners. Just type "Bearcat crystals" into Google and go for it... :)

ScanCHS

It is missing one crystal. It appears that who ever had it before, has identified with a sticker on the side what each channel was for and they do appear to be for my area. Would 1 missing crystal cause the whole radio to not funtion correctly. That would be great if that is all it is. Thanks......kj4iyl

scanchs

It is missing one crystal. It appears that who ever had it before, has identified with a sticker on the side what each channel was for and they do appear to be for my area. Would 1 missing crystal cause the whole radio to not funtion correctly. That would be great if that is all it is. Thanks......kj4iyl

kj4iyl,

Sorry, one crystal missing would only affect a single channel. It sounds like there could be more wrong with the receiver. On the other hand, another possibility is that the frequencies that are in the scanner have all changed over the past 20+ years. If all of the agencies have moved to 800 MHz, for example, then you still wouldn't hear anything on the old frequencies, even if the radio is working fine. It's hard to say without some further investigation... :)

ScanCHS

kj4iyl

kj4iyl,

Sorry, one crystal missing would only affect a single channel. It sounds like there could be more wrong with the receiver. On the other hand, another possibility is that the frequencies that are in the scanner have all changed over the past 20+ years. If all of the agencies have moved to 800 MHz, for example, then you still wouldn't hear anything on the old frequencies, even if the radio is working fine. It's hard to say without some further investigation... :)

ScanCHS

Yea I kinda hate to waste much time on it. I was thinking that maybe I could program it for some surrounding counties or whatever I could find....but I get absolutely no hiss, static, hum or anything from the speaker or external jack....I am assuming I should get a reasonable amount of static adjusting the squelch. Without that I ain't buying nothing for it. It is in nice physical shape and looks cool. It will probably just go up on a shelve behind the hf transceiver and maybe I can make up some interesting story about it ( a lie ) for when people ask about the old thing. Thanks again for all the info and suggestions

jackj

You said that you aren't hearing any sound at all. With the radio scanning, turn the squelch control until it stops scanning. You should be hearing noise, like a rushing sound. If not then the problem is with the radio, most likely a bad audio amp. If you are hearing the rushing noise then maybe the radio isn't receiving or the crystals are not for frequencies in your area. Just because someone put a sticker on the side that indicates it is set up for your area doesn't mean that those crystals are for those frequencies. Check the crystals, they may be stamped with the receive frequency. If they are the right frequencies then you will have to decide if you want to put any money in it. Good luck.

kj4iyl

You said that you aren't hearing any sound at all. With the radio scanning, turn the squelch control until it stops scanning. You should be hearing noise, like a rushing sound. If not then the problem is with the radio, most likely a bad audio amp. If you are hearing the rushing noise then maybe the radio isn't receiving or the crystals are not for frequencies in your area. Just because someone put a sticker on the side that indicates it is set up for your area doesn't mean that those crystals are for those frequencies. Check the crystals, they may be stamped with the receive frequency. If they are the right frequencies then you will have to decide if you want to put any money in it. Good luck.

Yea ........there has yet to be any noise what so ever, so that has me concerned that I will be putting more money than I want to in the old thing. I only got it because it looked neat and was so cheap. I'll probably get around one day to spending $100+ for something up to date and that I know will last. I am mainly into the amateur radio thing now and shortwave radio. I do think a scanner would be nice and possibly very helpful in emergency situations. And I will say this...if I see another old scanner that looks neat in the Goodwill or at a yard sale and is cheap.....I'll probably buy it too just for the fun of it. Just had a thought.......it is sad that wifes sometimes are not more like broken scanners..........no noise at all!

Take care,
kj4iyl

jackj

Woops

snip
Just had a thought.......it is sad that wifes sometimes are not more like broken scanners..........no noise at all!

Take care,
kj4iyl

Don't let "She who must be obeyed" hear you say that or the dog will have company tonight.

sjlamb

Drill a hole thru the chassis. Then thread a 40-50' length of half inch nylon rope through the hole and tie it off with your favorite knot. Secure the other end of the line to a bow cleat. Then... using the same two-handed overhead motion used to bring a basket into play; heave her into the briny. Kick back in a deck chair with frozen rum runner and enjoy the sunset as you ponder whether to buy another one (that actually works) on eBay for $10.

n2wjr

Premium Subscriber
bearcat electra 4

i am trying to restore my fathers electra 4 scanner. i am looking for a antenna for it out the top i would like. i am also looking for some crystals if any one knows where to get some. n2wjr@nycap.rr.com thanks walt

Status
Not open for further replies.