"Electric eyes' help law officers in Memphis area

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Tennessee tags

FYI , sorry not really radio stuff (not sure,maybe) but I couldn't find the "ORWELLIAN" forum.

"MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Electronic readers are getting positive reviews by law enforcement agencies in Memphis and Shelby County."

Dnj - "Electric eyes' help law officers in Memphis area

I'm curious how many different style of tags you have in TN? Here in Michigan, there are four different styles of license plates, with different styles of lettering, and I'm wondering if these types of readers can differenciate between them. (I have no idea if I spelled differenciate right).

A quick Google search says 'The State of Tennessee offers more than 90 specialty license plates for Tennessee motorists to display on their registered motor vehicles'.....

rasputen246

Speaking of google , mr too cheap here (speaking) uses it to "differentiate" from MY spelling and the REST OF THE WORLDs' spelling!!!

Oh, on the tags, I think they just kinda OCR the alphas & numerics and dump it as asci into a LEO search engine. It seems this is done real fast. I guess they load all the tag types from tn and who knows? Memphis is bordered by Mississippi and Arkansas, plus it right on I 40 so potentially(had to google the potential spelling) all state tags may be read. Who really knows about the decode rate.

I wonder if these cameras are hard wired or radio/wifi connected. Probally hard wired to prevent hacking is my guess.

Last edited:

Squad10

$25K per car, nice ALPRS sale. For that price the car should have a minimum of two cameras. If it runs plates "live", the state plate registration database is going to get hit faster than any human being could type. Last I heard, Illinois LEADS does not allow "live" ALPRS plate registration checks.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
Several of the THP cars here in Rutherford County have this system. It is kind of goofy looking really. 4 big box things with huge magnets on the trunk. Two facing front and two facing rear. They also have a pretty decent sized cable from each one running into the trunk. I asked one of the Troopers a few weeks ago how it works, and he says it works great.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
That answers my question about the THP cruisers. Went by one at dusk and it looked like he had stereo speakers on the trunk.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
That answers my question about the THP cruisers. Went by one at dusk and it looked like he had stereo speakers on the trunk.

Hey when there are so many miles of highway to cover you have to get your beat on!

rasputen246

I actually thought all those cameras all over the THP cars were mobile "red light" type cams for speeders. Thanks for the Info.

I was in the Army in the mid 70's and the German Polizi would sit on the side ov the road in VW vans with an early speed camera rig and mail tickets to speeders. This was 1973. So it has been around for at least that long. That was just photographic , no decoding but still, thats a while back.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
I have seen two varieties of the THP cars. They are either mounted on the roof, or on the trunk.

rasputen246

I have seen one with cams on the hood and trunk (aimed forw&rev) with serious triangulation(? my guess) and photo flash strobes. The cams are aimed at a 45 or so degree axis from the car.
Is that what you are talking about, or is that something else?

Thanks for your info.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
Yup that sounds like them. i will try to get a pic and get on here as soon as I catch one parked long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.