Electroline FM Amplifier Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Just picked up my second Electroline FM Amplifier. Good from 1.5mhz to 2.0 Ghz. It's a 2 way. A lot cheaper than the Stridsberg.
It is rated at +11db Amplification on each output.
My question, What is the signal loss "receiving only" scanner use, using 30 feet of RG6 from a UHF Antenna with Ground Plane in the attic to the amplifier at my scanner feed PC. The scanners are both BC125ATs. The line loss calculators online only do transmit loss.

900mhz

Just picked up my second Electroline FM Amplifier. Good from 1.5mhz to 2.0 Ghz. It's a 2 way. A lot cheaper than the Stridsberg.
It is rated at +11db Amplification on each output.
My question, What is the signal loss "receiving only" scanner use, using 30 feet of RG6 from a UHF Antenna with Ground Plane in the attic to the amplifier at my scanner feed PC. The scanners are both BC125ATs. The line loss calculators online only do transmit loss.
cable loss is the same whether it be transmit or receive, assuming you reference the same frequency.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
+11db wow that's pretty high for the front end of a BC125AT! I use the electroline 8 ports and they are only +4db enough to make up for the 1 to 8 split. 30 feet of RG-6 is almost no loss for a scanner. If you find you aren't hearing much try the FM trap or bandpass filters. I've tried that 1 to 2 electroline, in fact sitting here in my drawer, way too hot for my area. Fort Lauderdale probably just as busy with cell towers radio stations etc' etc'. Good luck let us know how it works.

phask

Premium Subscriber
FWIW - I've been using this one for a year now with no issues.

Feeding 4 scanners and compared to single feed it shows s improvement. Feeding 4 is better than an unamplified signal to 1 so I call it a win.

I went with that brand as I had a single output amp the Spectrum pulled from my Internet feed. It worked well and figure if the brand is good enough for them...

Ubbe

In 99% of the cases an amplifier will improve reception. Even those high noise tv amplifiers will most often also work. That 8dB amp has a 3dB noise figure. Imagine what will happen if you use a low noise 0,5dB amplifier that will improve reception by more than 2dB compared to the 8dB amp without doing anything else than having it connected to your scanner. But if you then move it up to the antenna you will also add those dB's that are lost in the antenna coax to the total gain in sensitivity. Just be sure to not overload the scanners frontend and attenuate enough between amp and scanner to not loose sensitivity be desensing the frontend from a too high signal level.

/Ubbe

JimD56

Feed Provider
My 2 Output Electroline FM Amplifier is working great. Using it on my Broadcastify feed, I'm in Fort Lauderdale and it is pulling in the furthest UHF repeater in south Miami pretty clear. Go to my feed and listen for your self. (y) Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, the ((Stereo Feed)) on Broadcastify.
Thanks

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
I'm running an Electroline EDA 2800 8 port (4dB gain per port) amp from a DPD OmniX antenna at about 60' elevation (12' mast on a 4 story building with an attic + ~50' LMR400) in North NJ and it's pulling in strong! I have it split to 4 Moto radios, a DS200 and 3 SDR sticks) and I'm receiving public safety systems 70 miles south (Jersey shore) and Coast Guard Sector South New England. I just repositioned the antenna last week so I'm still testing it's limits.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The problem I've seen with these type amps is they don't really work for low band VHF.
These cable tv amps all have a lower cutoff at 42 MHz for reception. They will pass 42 MHz and below back out to the cable company but will generally block it incoming. This is because today's cable tv systems are two way sytems with the frequencies below 42 MHz used for the return signal back to the cable plant.

If you don't monitor low band below 42 MHz, then they can help depending on the overall RF levels in your area not being super strong to just introduce overload and odd mixing products from the amp.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use an Electroline 4 port amp with 0 dB gain on one of my antennas. I monitor local military rotor aircraft on 40 MHz and it works about as well as one would guess with a ST2 (scantenna). While that does work, I often use my HF radio and an OCF antenna for improved reception when there is more activity.

I may have some 8 port with gain in a box. I will try them and see. One must experiment.

JimD56

Feed Provider
I run the 8 Port 2800 (+4db each) for my Scanner Rack from a Tram Discone and a Yagi 800-900mhz into a Comet duplexer, with one RG-6 cable about 20 ft run into the 8 Port 2800 Electroline and then the 2 Port (+11db each) for the Broadcasify Feed UHF 450-460mhz from a 2nd dedicated Discone Antenna just for that feed. All 3 antennas are in the attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.