Not open for further replies.

Shane567

State Park Freq's

151.430 F2 61 Hits
153.875 F1 1,729 Hits

Fish & Game

44.800 Dispatch 181 Hits
44.920 car to car 25 Hits

I live here.... want to know a frequency or service? ASK!

beerzkool

Scanning the Pajarito Plateau since 1995.
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I plan on being at Heron later this summer. It is good to get verified info.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
State Park Freq's

151.430 F2 61 Hits
153.875 F1 1,729 Hits

Fish & Game

44.800 Dispatch 181 Hits
44.920 car to car 25 Hits

I live here.... want to know a frequency or service? ASK!

When I lived in New Mexico and monitored NM Game and Fish (moved 39.5 years ago!) 44.800 was used by dispatch on remote base stations around the state. The mobiles called the remote base and thus dispatch by transmitting on 44.920. Car to car was on the base frequency of 44.800. This is a pretty standard configuration when remote bases are involved. For some reason, both Game and Fish as well as the NM State Police used this system, rather than set up repeaters. State police had a repeater or 2 around the state. NM DOT might have used this remote base setup, but I don't remember now. You only had 25 hits on 44.920 because to hear it a mobile unit had to be relatively close.

I lived west of Socorro, west of Magdalena at a ranger station on a dirt road. Scanners did not come with hit counters at that time. We were just pleased to not have to buy crystals. I could hear a lot of mountain tops, including Sandia Crest, Mt. Taylor, Davenport (near Datil) and Capilla Peak (near Mountainaire). I'm not entirely sure what repeaters up near Santa Fe I was hearing. In all the time I was there (6 years) I didn't always have 153.8750 in the radio, but I never received anything on it. Down in Sierra County, due to Elephant Butte State Park, you are hearing what I didn't hear. Then again, I only had 10 channels on the BC-210, the first convenient programmable scanner, so I changed frequencies quite a bit. Winter was different than my summer 10 channels.

I could hear all the state and local frequencies that had radio installations at the locations I mentioned above. I could hear most of the base side of the Albuquerque PD and could marginally copy the mobiles sometimes. They were on VHF-High then, both base and mobiles were on the same frequency and communicated simplex. I could not pick up anything around Gallup or south of there. The Magdalena and San Mateo Mountains blocked all signals from south down your way. I could hear some things down in the Rio Grande Valley area south of Albuquerque.

I could hear everything on the Cibola NF quite well, 2-3 remote bases on the Gila NF (no repeaters back in the 1970's, early 80's), a couple of repeaters on the Santa Fe, as I could hear mobiles on the Jemez Ranger District quite well and once picked up a remote base on the Carson NF, but it was due to unusual ducting that day. The Carson NF was using one of the Gila frequencies, I think their North Forest Net. Otherwise I would not have programmed the Carson NF in my scanner. I could not hear the Lincoln NF due to the Magdalena Mountains.

It was an interesting place to play with my first programmable scanner.

hhall2260

Premium Subscriber
Something is going on in New Mexico 2021, Game & Fish may have abandoned 44.80 Base nd 44.92 Mobile. Many game wardens have moved over to NM State Police Districts and the now dispatch through them. The NMSP system works just like the old G&F system on on VHF District 6 Gallup base 155.790 pl 127.3 cars 155.730 pl 127.3. The pl 127.3 is an old favorite pl for many years for the NMSP. And yes if the cars are too far away you can only hear the base station side which is transmitting from mountain tops. All the NMSP Dispatchers are trained to repeat radio traffic from the cars frequency back over the base frequency so that all cars too far away from each other can hear the traffic or emergency help that any officer might need if he's too far away to be heard by other officers on the car frequency. The NMSP are also using 460.150 on handhelds for extenders after they get out of their cars, which is also a training issue if more than two of them get together and they turn of the hand held extender. As a rule the first officer out will leave his on and other officers pulling up will not active their HT extender to prevent feedback. Frequencies 155.550 pl 127.3 and 155.370 pl 127.3 car was the original NM Law Enforcement Net aka NMLEN was used for city, county, and other departments and worked from mountain tops in the same manner to speak with the NMSP District Dispatchers but has fallen by the way side and hardly used any more. 155.550 in the talk around mode or simplex F-2 is still used by many officers from all LE Departments as a close in interop throughout the state to this day along with 154.310 simplex state fire, 155.160 simplex Search & Rescue. In the large cities like Albuquerque the NMSP along with other federal departments are moving to the 700 MHZ band with Phase II Trunking but has only been done in areas where cell type towers can cover large cities from one or two points. New Mexico is still a rural state with populations spread out over vast areas and makes it cost prohibited to install enough cell type sites to make this system go state wide. AT&T has gotten the contract from New Mexico to start installing First Net and some of these new 700 MHZ sites may start popping up on existing cell towers as times goes by instead of the state having to put up new towers. Today most normal cell phone towers just like the anything else get put up first in the high population areas or along Interstate Highways to make the most money to recover the expense of building the tower. So for now VHF is still king of the long distance radio coms for NMSP an d other departments.
Radio Reference Page has done a good job of keeping the old and new frequencies up todate.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
The state has no plans to abandon the old Low Band channels. In fact they are working to replace the old aged low band repeaters with the new Kenwood Low Band and switch over to NXDN Low Band. They in fact have been working with Kenwood for years on this project. Along with CA who still uses Low Band daily. Low Band still in use mostly in the mountain parts of the state like Catron and Silver City. Mainly in part because there is no chance of 700 system ever covering down there with all the pine trees and mountain terrain. They will replace with low band with the added benefit of NXDN digital and patch to the state trunking system. Game and Fish units are now running the VM7000 from Kenwood with all four RF decks (LB, VHF, UHF, & 7/800) so they are covered. Some parts of the state like Gallup I think the old Low Band repeater died and G&F had no choice but to make the switch over to NMSP dist channels. But again are faced with much worse coverage because the state build some remote base VHF system to cover the highway. Not so much when you leave the highway. I bet we see some of the first Low Band sites get installed in the southwest in the next few months.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
The state has no plans to abandon the old Low Band channels. In fact they are working to replace the old aged low band repeaters with the new Kenwood Low Band and switch over to NXDN Low Band. They in fact have been working with Kenwood for years on this project. Along with CA who still uses Low Band daily. Low Band still in use mostly in the mountain parts of the state like Catron and Silver City. Mainly in part because there is no chance of 700 system ever covering down there with all the pine trees and mountain terrain. They will replace with low band with the added benefit of NXDN digital and patch to the state trunking system. Game and Fish units are now running the VM7000 from Kenwood with all four RF decks (LB, VHF, UHF, & 7/800) so they are covered. Some parts of the state like Gallup I think the old Low Band repeater died and G&F had no choice but to make the switch over to NMSP dist channels. But again are faced with much worse coverage because the state build some remote base VHF system to cover the highway. Not so much when you leave the highway. I bet we see some of the first Low Band sites get installed in the southwest in the next few months.
Wow NXDN on low band, way awesome!!! The few times I've visited Northern New Mexico I heard nothing on low band, I'll have to keep an ear out next time I visit.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground

That's a good call by Game & Fish. Trying to get reliable 700 MHz coverage in Grant and Catron would about bankrupt the state.

I don't anticipate FirstNet going too well in that corner of the state either. I have AT&T and have zero service from the state line until fifteen minutes west of Socorro. Reserve used to have AT&T "Edge" service in town but the last time I stopped there that site was offline.

hhall2260

Premium Subscriber
Any reason why NMDOT frequencies I used to hear them on Analog 151.070 the same has happened on NMSF aka New Mexico State Forestry 159.330 159.420 all I hear is CW and clicks??? All of these frequencies where broadcasted from La Mosca Peak on analog near my home it they may have moved to some other mode. I purchased a Home Patrol 2 hopping it will pickup some of this new traffic but nothing so far any suggestions would be welcomed!

hhall2260

Premium Subscriber
I may have posted this on another page but rare fine on a FCC search with all New Mexico State Parks it seems they have licensed 4 VHF Marine frequencies at each park as well as mobiles, 156.425 CH 68, 156.450 CH 9, 156.800 CH 16, 156.850 CH 17. I live about 15 miles from Bluewater State Park and have heard nothing on the two normal channels so I wonder if these guys are using any of these Marine Channels for day to day business. I have heard regular folks that might have a Marine Radio on there boat might be able to call for help on CH 16 which I have heard is the channel every body at sea listens to for emergencies or calls for help. Maybe they licensed CH 9 because of the CB days and somebody might call for help on that channel not knowing that is not the correct channel for calling for help on a boat? Of course the million dollar question would their be anyone on these channels at the state parks to answer a call for help, and would the state park workers get in trouble for not answering in a real emergency?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
If they are on duty they will answer. Depends if anyone is on duty.

As for nmdot they use analog and p25 non repeated most the time if used duplex microwave like sp vhf. Most is done simplex car to car mobiles if they do. You're more likely to hear them during plowing, traffic control, or major events. Day to day they use cell phones or have their assignments and their supervisors call by phone or are with them. There isn't many per district these days honestly in their work forces as the most places within the state have not filled public works, skeleton run them, or cannot find people to work for minimum wage or just above being required to hold class A with endorsements or other certifications.

hhall2260

Premium Subscriber
Thank for the info how do I program the Homepatrol 2 to pickup P25 I have it set to all is more needed like a second entry for P25???

Status
Not open for further replies.