Eliminating audio interference on my feed

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I am having an audio interference problem on my feed and I am not sure how to remedy it. I am feeding 2 scanners on a stereo feed (BC125AT/BC996T). The 125 has the interference and it only happens when someone is transmitting on the feed. Here is an example.

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

I thought it was the other scanner causing it but it even occurs when the scanner is unplugged. The sound even comes over my computer speakers which is on the same desk as the scanners. It is intermittent on the speakers and not constant. I have a feeling a ground loop isolator won't be helpful. What about a ferrite toroid core?

CKnobb

Premium Subscriber
I assume that pulsing noise is the interference issue. Have you tried moving the scanner to a different location? Sometimes just a few feet will make a difference. Do you have any new fluorescent or LED lighting in your room? Do you have a switching power supply nearby your scanner setup (for amateur radio for example)? If you take your feed down momentarily and put your scanner on another floor or in another room does the noise disappear?

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I assume that pulsing noise is the interference issue. Have you tried moving the scanner to a different location? Sometimes just a few feet will make a difference. Do you have any new fluorescent or LED lighting in your room? Do you have a switching power supply nearby your scanner setup (for amateur radio for example)? If you take your feed down momentarily and put your scanner on another floor or in another room does the noise disappear?

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking it might have been my MoCA adapter that was causing the problem and when I went to investigate this problem, I noticed the power light on the power strip was flickering so I started there. It was on another outlet from the scanner outlet. I changed it out with another power strip and I think I may have solved the problem but my gut still feels like it may return. I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the suggestio.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
Well, it’s back. I knew it was intermittent so I guess I was expecting it to come back. Time for more digging.

Chronic

Try running both scanners on batteries and see if the interference is still there , do one at a time , and unplug the wall wart from the outlet during the test.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I am thinking/hoping I found the problem. I believe it is my WiFi router. I read that the 2.4GHz band can cause rf. I toggled the 2.4GHz button off/on and my computer speakers that were having same problem stopped when turned off. The flutter has been intermittent for me so I don’t know yet if this solves it but I think it is a decent chance this is the cause.

a417

The sound even comes over my computer speakers which is on the same desk as the scanners. It is intermittent on the speakers and not constant.
Late to this thread, but this should have been one of the first things that should have pointed you towards an RFI/Transmission issue.

move the wifi away from the devices, if you can. Disabling it and hardwiring will be preferential.