Eton Elite Satellit (a.k.a. Eton E1) selling at Universal Radio

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For a late July date- at a huge price increase. Use your browser find feature to search for Universal Radio...

One word on the price: OUCH! Let's hope it's worth the long wait.

Mike

majoco

Stirrer
A friend had one of the earlier ones with the tacky rubbery case - it felt awful - fortunately I don't want one - I always thought they were overpriced. I see the blurb says " The look, feel and finish of this radio is superb. " so perhaps they've realised. Tecsun will bring out a copy soon.... :)

4nradio

The new $600 (Universal) price doesn't seem out of line to me at all. I ran the original USD $500 price in 2005 through an inflation calculator and the adjusted price would be $748.

IMHO the synchronous detector in the E1/E1XM is one of the best available. I feel it rivals the synch-AM of the Lowe HF-series and also the AR7030. That was one of my favorite features. Having PBT in a portable radio was also really nice in the E1/XM. Hopefully these features will work just as well in the new Eton.

I'm happy to see this "revival radio" come to market, and perhaps with the new tri-color display we'll be able to view the LCD info from a wider viewing angle than on the original... that downside always bugged me.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are quite a number of solutions for the tacky plastic issue that can be had at a Home Depot or Lowe's. Let's hope Eton learned their lesson with this sticky issue....Mike

4nradio

I've "de-stickified" three E1XM receivers, and the safest and easiest product I've used is "Max Pro Ink & Adhesive Remover", which I purchased through Amazon.

This great product also goes by the name "Max Professional 3043 Citrus Power Remover". For me it works better than the isopropyl alcohol approach. "Purple Power" is good for a temporary reduction in the stickies, but doesn't seem to remove it permanently.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some additional discussion on this upcoming portatop....

Mike

WA8ZTZ

Yikes! $600 for a glorified portable that AFAIK nobody has yet reviewed.
Even the seemingly timeless 750 sees a $100 price increase.
Inflation or not, this is getting to be a lot of money for a shortwave set to listen
to mostly empty bands.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mostly empty? Not even close. And yes it's a really high price when you could get a SDR for a whole lot less....Mike

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I've "de-stickified" three E1XM receivers, and the safest and easiest product I've used is "Max Pro Ink & Adhesive Remover", which I purchased through Amazon.

This great product also goes by the name "Max Professional 3043 Citrus Power Remover". For me it works better than the isopropyl alcohol approach. "Purple Power" is good for a temporary reduction in the stickies, but doesn't seem to remove it permanently.

Do these treatments remove the sticky coating or do they re-harden the sticky material?
I have a sticky AOR that needs some help.
Thanks

4nradio

Do these treatments remove the sticky coating or do they re-harden the sticky material?
I have a sticky AOR that needs some help.
Thanks
The Max Pro product as well as isopropyl alcohol can completely remove the sticky coating... It takes patience, care, and quite a bit of firm rubbing. Do a Google search and you'll find some details on the process.

N4DJC

It appears to be available. I noticed an HD version of the Executive Elite due 4th quarter. I'd be interested in one of those, quite a few HD stations in the area.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The initial news on this radio is nowhere near encouraging. Eton evidently has some fairly serious QC issues. From what I've seen, they include unexplained lockups when trying to use FM HD, loose antennas, misaligned labels and likely more that will come out as time goes on. There's a decent YouTube video by Dan Robinson summarizing the issues. It's a real shame that Eton is going to likely take a black eye on this. The price aside, they themselves set the bar rather high with the original E1 and E1XM of many years ago. Those that aren't experiencing display failures have a very fine portatop that performs well, from all accounts.

It's also been reported that Universal Radio (one of a few distributors) has been in contact with Eton about these issues.

In other words, for the time being at least, this is a Do Not Buy.

Mike

4nradio

Even if it had no other issues, the muting while tuning "feature" was enough for me to cancel my pre-order at Universal. Even at the "low, low" $349.95 price a receiver shouldn't mute or chuff while band scanning.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I received my Elite Satellit two days ago. Started a Facebook group if anyone is interested. I have posted my comments and opinions, others will be posting also. Initial reaction, it's likely worth the $350 price but not $700.

Boombox

RE: "Mostly empty bands": Obviously, your mileage may vary, depending on QTH and latitude, but 31 meters earlier tonight had a grand total of FOUR, count 'em, FOUR stations, two WRMI outlets, a weak and grainy WBCQ, and the CRI outlet in Cuba. Oh, and amazingly Turkey made it over the pole on 9770.

OK, it was a grand total of FIVE stations then.

In 1997 the band would have been packed. Same thing in 2002. Comparatively, that's probably what one could consider 'mostly empty'.

So, I think the comment on the price, vs. what one can hear, is appropriate. Of course, people spend over a thousand on Icom 7300s, so they can use the ham bands. SWLing is a hobby. Whether a price of a piece of equipment is justified is always a personal opinion.

If I were to get another SWL radio, it would probably be one of the Tecsuns, or possibly a Sangean 909X. I think they will hear most of what is available. But my present, 1990s-2010s era radios are doing that job OK. It all depends on whether you have the money and desire to spend it.

I'm glad Eton is still making radios, though. I'll definitely rue the day if and when new SW radios are no longer made. That will be a sad day, indeed. May that day be a long ways off.