Elk Grove Propane Tanks & EGPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmike1219

I have noticed for the past few months while traveling on Grant Line Road next to the propane tanks in Elk Grove, that there is always an Elk Grove Police Department vehicle at the location. Now, this vehicle never appears to be manned, and it's only parked, never moving, except I know it moves because it's always parked in a different location on different days. Also, it appears as though it's an older model Crown Victoria, although I can't be certain of that.

Does anyone know any info on this unit? Is it an actual EGPD unit, or a mock unit? Does it have a call sign if it is a real unit? Just thought it would be cool to learn the info on this unit on private property of anyone knows of it!

--
Michael

kma371

QRT
It sits there to deter crime per friend at the pd. ive seen it Ifor years, at least since 07

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Propane anyone?

That site started really appearing on the radar after 9/11/01. I was quite shocked really that they approved building a mall so close (just the other side of 99). But if EG continues to build, that site will effectively be in the middle of the population of EG.

sonticus

That site started really appearing on the radar after 9/11/01. I was quite shocked really that they approved building a mall so close (just the other side of 99). But if EG continues to build, that site will effectively be in the middle of the population of EG.

I believe it was new years 2000, there was a plan to blow up those large tanks. The plot was foiled and suspects were arrested (2 of them, IIRC). Apparently these guys did their research and figured out how to do it properly. The Elk Grove Citizen (small newspaper) ran a story on their front page with a map showing the "blast radius" which included my house! :eek:

After that I was hearing that they stopped filling the tanks, so as they took propane out they weren't topping them off. Mostly because of the proximity to neighborhoods. They also painted over the labels, I guess hoped people would assume they were full of water? I think that was after 9/11. They also upped security even more.

At this point I don't know if they really have stopped filling them or if that was just a rumor. But even if they aren't I imagine they'd take a long time to empty.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
They do radio tests with Fire Dispatch on A2 every morning, ID as Suburban 1, 2 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.