Elliot Knob STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

I can't remember if this has been brought up already but... there is a STARS site going on Elliot Knob in western Augusta. The site elevation there is over 4000ft. Reliable Source tells me there has been testing, don't know if it is active yet. If I get time before I head out I'll try to search FCC for it. Anyone else wants to do that, feel free and thanks!

I see a site listed as North Mtn in Alleghany Co but the Elliot knob site is for sure Augusta.

Also, I don't see the Nelson County site listed, it is on High Knob (or High Top maybe?). Reliable Source confirmed that to me.

One more BTW, the Bearden site is in Albemarle County per different but equally Reliable Source. There is a SIRS base there now.

Last edited:

W4UVV

2013 VSP Projected New STARS "Filler" Sites

Per a VSP previous report to the General Assembly in 2013 the following future STARS "filler" sites were planned based on funding being available.

Waverly (Operational)
Dumfries Scales (Operational)
Rawley Springs (Operational)
Potts Mountain
Elliott Knob
Massanutten
Westin Hotel (NOVA)
Gordonsville
Big Walker Mtn.
Interstate 77 Rest Stop
Wise Co.
Division 1 Dispatch (Glen Allen) (Operational)
Bath Co. (Hydro)
VSP Driver Training Complex (Ft. Pickett) (Operational)
Amelia VDOT

Below is the report's link where I posted it in Dec 2013. See my first link post with attachment (RD219 STARS report 213.pdf):

http://forums.radioreference.com/vi...rum/276064-stars-frederick-county-site-2.html

For any of the above listed sites which appear to be finished anyone within monitoring range who has a laptop with Pro96com installed and a scanner CC output capable needs to drive to or close to the target site and have Pro96Com analyze the site's attributes created as a txt file. That's the best way to be certain as to frequencies actually are being used and adjacent neighbor sites, etc., instead of wasting time speculating.

John
W4UVV

freqhopping

What information do you have the says the Westin Hotel site is in NOVA?
Alexandria, Arlington or Tysons? All are close to existing sites.

Pro96Com does not show any new adjacent sites to the Fairfax site currently.

dtscho

Database Admin
Yes, I think that's the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, which is supposedly the tallest building in Virginia.

Dave

W4UVV

It also could be Va. Beach

What information do you have the says the Westin Hotel site is in NOVA?
Alexandria, Arlington or Tysons? All are close to existing sites.

Pro96Com does not show any new adjacent sites to the Fairfax site currently.

You are making a false assumption that construction presently is underway at all the listed sites.

The Westin Hotel NOVA location was one of the "best guesses" previously discussed I think in another thread. I believe Va. Beach also was mentioned. Time will tell.

Change my post for Westin Hotel to "(NOVA or Va. Beach)".

John

W4UVV

SCPD

QRT
Yes, that's correct about the Westin Hotel being the tallest building in Virginia, think it's like 40 something stories

gcgrotz

Reliable Source said the Elliot Knob site is there and networked but work remains on the trunked radio part before it is turned up.

Status
Not open for further replies.