Ellis County Landing Zone Channel

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I managed to get a PC/SDRTrunk/Airpsy R2 setup monitoring the Ellis County site on NTIRN. I'm in NW Bedford, so it's a bit of a stretch. I've only had it going since Friday night. I've found a couple of talk groups that are new to me.

One that I haven't heard enough traffic on to confirm is 7852. I believe it's probably a county-wide landing zone channel. However, I've heard two instances in my vast 3.5 days of monitoring where ground units (Palmer and Red Oak, I believe), were calling for air medical on the channel without any response from the bird. In both cases they ended up going to V-MED 28 or V-FIRE 21. I also was hearing an repeated .6 second tone on it earlier today. On Saturday there was a Palmer unit on 7853, and I believe he was trying to set up communications with an inbound helo, but may have been on the wrong channel.

If anyone else can confirm or correct my assumptions, please do.

Thanks in Advance & Happy Scanning!
Ben

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I managed to get a PC/SDRTrunk/Airpsy R2 setup monitoring the Ellis County site on NTIRN. I'm in NW Bedford, so it's a bit of a stretch. I've only had it going since Friday night. I've found a couple of talk groups that are new to me.

One that I haven't heard enough traffic on to confirm is 7852. I believe it's probably a county-wide landing zone channel. However, I've heard two instances in my vast 3.5 days of monitoring where ground units (Palmer and Red Oak, I believe), were calling for air medical on the channel without any response from the bird. In both cases they ended up going to V-MED 28 or V-FIRE 21. I also was hearing an repeated .6 second tone on it earlier today. On Saturday there was a Palmer unit on 7853, and I believe he was trying to set up communications with an inbound helo, but may have been on the wrong channel.

If anyone else can confirm or correct my assumptions, please do.

Thanks in Advance & Happy Scanning!
Ben
Ben, did they specify which air-med was enroute? Air Evac has a base just north of Hwy 287 in Waxahachie. PHI has several birds usually parked at the DeSoto heliport. CareFlite 2, based at Methodist Central in Dallas, often does interfacility from Baylor Waxahachie to one of the Dallas hospitals. I don’t hear them sent on scene responses as often as they were in the past. Of course, if CareFlite 2 is on another flight, they might send from Ft Worth or Granbury.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Ben, did they specify which air-med was enroute? Air Evac has a base just north of Hwy 287 in Waxahachie. PHI has several birds usually parked at the DeSoto heliport. CareFlite 2, based at Methodist Central in Dallas, often does interfacility from Baylor Waxahachie to one of the Dallas hospitals. I don’t hear them sent on scene responses as often as they were in the past. Of course, if CareFlite 2 is on another flight, they might send from Ft Worth or Granbury.

Today, Red Oak was working with PHI (no number heard). Saturday, Palmer was calling "helicopter coming to Palmer".

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
TGID 7852 is just above the range used by Ennis. I'm not seeing any logs on 7852 from my SDS200, but there's a lot of other systems on there, so it may have been missed. I'll add Ellis to my other scanner that's logging & recording everything.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Today, Red Oak was working with PHI (no number heard). Saturday, Palmer was calling "helicopter coming to Palmer".
Probably one of the Desoto based PHI copters headed to Red Oak. No telling on Palmer.

Here's the heliport. The third unit had already departed to the northeast. I was sitting in Ojeda's on Hampton, looking out the window, when he took off. Had to take a quick pic because of traffic behind me on Danieldale, so it's not quite straightened up.
1670295087241.png

Last edited:

favin

Premium Subscriber
TG 7852 - Ellis County Landing Zone 1
TG 7853 - Ellis County Landing Zone 2

Used by Ellis County fire departments for landing zones and went active a few months back. Seems like there is an attempt to use LZ1 for the I-45 corridor and LZ2 for the I-35 corridor, but traffic tends to go to LZ1.