EM Wave EM-B11809 Yagi Antenna, 9.5dBi, 6 Element, 760-870 MHz, N Female, Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I think I found the ideal Yagi for scanner enthusiast! EM Wave EM-B11809 Yagi Antenna, 9.5dBi, 6 Element, 760-870 MHz, N Female, Black.

It seems most of the Yagi antennas I see are for 806-896 MHz. This one is 760-870 MHz which would be better suited for our scanning needs as it would included the 700MHz band. It should be noted that the coax pigtail is somewhat stiff so you want to keep bending to a minimum and not form it into any sharp bends. Put a nice radius in it and secure it and the connection to your coax feed line to the mast with TyRaps. I've added it to my indoor "light stand" antenna tower in hopes that a can pickup Detroit's simulcast system from my home in Macomb Twp, about 35 miles South.

Note: The mount shows it's setup for horizontal polarization, but it's easily re-positioned for vertical.

The Antenna Farm

prcguy

If you can find an affordable omni with at least 6dBd gain across 760 to 870MHz, the world would be a better place.

I think I found the ideal Yagi for scanner enthusiast! EM Wave EM-B11809 Yagi Antenna, 9.5dBi, 6 Element, 760-870 MHz, N Female, Black.

It seems most of the Yagi antennas I see are for 806-896 MHz. This one is 760-870 MHz which would be better suited for our scanning needs as it would included the 700MHz band. It should be noted that the coax pigtail is somewhat stiff so you want to keep bending to a minimum and not form it into any sharp bends. Put a nice radius in it and secure it and the connection to your coax feed line to the mast with TyRaps. I've added it to my indoor "light stand" antenna tower in hopes that a can pickup Detroit's simulcast system from my home in Macomb Twp, about 35 miles South.

Note: The mount shows it's setup for horizontal polarization, but it's easily re-positioned for vertical.

The Antenna Farm

View attachment 86770

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If you can find an affordable omni with at least 6dBd gain across 760 to 870MHz, the world would be a better place.

I have that Terrawave omni I posted about that I found on Ebay a while back and it works great. That's on my SDS200. Omni is not always a good choice in a troubled simulcast envoroment like Detroit. And between my home and Detroit is a enormous cluster of 800 MHz systems an cellular towers so I thought the selectivity of a Yagi would perform best for this project. I'm using the Yagi on my BCD536HP.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P20CD62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought this for 20 bucks to solve my simulcast problem. Worked far better than I expected. Bought a second one to point the same direction to Paris mountain for the ultra weak translator of WLOS 13 out of asheville that is our local ABC, but everybody has a problem with both the main signal and the translator in upstate SC. It works great for that also. I did mount it vertical for the scanner.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P20CD62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought this for 20 bucks to solve my simulcast problem. Worked far better than I expected. Bought a second one to point the same direction to Paris mountain for the ultra weak translator of WLOS 13 out of asheville that is our local ABC, but everybody has a problem with both the main signal and the translator in upstate SC. It works great for that also. I did mount it vertical for the scanner.

That should work fine as well!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
That should work fine as well!
How did you make out with the yagi from Antenna Farm? I am in simulcast area that can be difficult and am thinking of a yagi but wasn't sure which one to get. I have a system to my east (called "EAST zone) and it is a bit weaker than the other 3 zones. The other 3 zones are full scale. I am thinking if I point yagi to east it will pick up that EAST zone better and still pick up the other zones off the side. The other zones are due north and due south of my location.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
How did you make out with the yagi from Antenna Farm? I am in simulcast area that can be difficult and am thinking of a yagi but wasn't sure which one to get. I have a system to my east (called "EAST zone) and it is a bit weaker than the other 3 zones. The other 3 zones are full scale. I am thinking if I point yagi to east it will pick up that EAST zone better and still pick up the other zones off the side. The other zones are due north and due south of my location.

As far as I can tell so far it's working great! I haven't taken the time to test it on Detroit. Been busy with a lot of overdue projects.

If you're in a simulcast environment normally all the tower sites are on the same frequency. If that's your situation there's no advantage to trying to pick up more than one site. That's what causes the problem with simulcast, picking up several sites at the same time on the same frequency. In fact the goal is to concentrate on the strongest sites and avoid the others as much as possible.

If the frequency of the EAST zone is different and you want to receive that a yagi should help simply by pointing it in the direction of that sites.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
As far as I can tell so far it's working great! I haven't taken the time to test it on Detroit. Been busy with a lot of overdue projects.

If you're in a simulcast environment normally all the tower sites are on the same frequency. If that's your situation there's no advantage to trying to pick up more than one site. That's what causes the problem with simulcast, picking up several sites at the same time on the same frequency. In fact the goal is to concentrate on the strongest sites and avoid the others as much as possible.

If the frequency of the EAST zone is different and you want to receive that a yagi should help simply by pointing it in the direction of that sites.
Yes I am hoping to hone in on that EAST system and the other 3 systems should be picked up off to the side of yagi. There are multiple sites for each zone so it's confusing but with a yagi I can just point and check signal. Right now I am using an 800 mhz mag mount up on small ground plane in gutter on 2nd floor outside my shack. It's been working fine but I want something more permanent. Luckily this set up withstood a few heavy wind storms.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Here is a picture of my inside antennas mounted on a 9ft light tripod stand in my home office!

EM Wave EM-B11809 YAGI and TerraWave M3030035O10006O-B omni

View attachment 87042
Wow.....I think I am going to order that yagi. What connector is on the end of pigtail? Is it a female "N"? And that round white antenna on top, how well does it work and what do you use it for? Thats a really nice setup for indoors. I am wondering if it is possible to use this same setup indoors at my house. I use my SDS200 strictly for 1 P25 system and a trunked 800mhz system. I am using an 800mhz mag mount on gutter sitting up in the gutter on 2nd floor outside my shack window. But even with the SDS200 I still get some simulcast issues. Nowhere near as bad as my BCD996p2 but I am thinking a yagi might help. I am trying to assess the situation. I have 2 P25 simulcast sites to my north, one to the south and one to the east. And the Massachusetts state police use trunked motorola system (800 mhz) which is located to my east. So I am thinking if I mount this yagi pointing east I should hopefully pick up everything better. The mag mount in gutter works pretty well, but a little directionality might help. There is nothing to hear to my west. Mostly all just north south and east. I suppose I could try this out inside and see if it works. If not I can mount yagi on one of my other masts.

Attachments

• 100_2729.JPG
    100_2729.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 21

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What connector is on the end of pigtail? Is it a female "N"? And that round white antenna on top, how well does it work and what do you use it for?

Yes it is a Type-N female connector. The round white antenna is a 608-896/1700-2700MHz omni-directional antenna. It works surprisenly well for it's size. They claim it has 1.86/1.36dB (3/3.5dBi) gain. I used it for Michigan's MPSCS P25 system which is simulcast connected to my SDS200. Normally I wouldn't recomend an omni for a simulcast system as the goal then it so try to null out or tone down surounding redundant sites but the SDS200 shuns off the interference extremely well.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Yes it is a Type-N female connector. The round white antenna is a 608-896/1700-2700MHz omni-directional antenna. It works surprisenly well for it's size. They claim it has 1.86/1.36dB (3/3.5dBi) gain. I used it for Michigan's MPSCS P25 system which is simulcast connected to my SDS200. Normally I wouldn't recomend an omni for a simulcast system as the goal then it so try to null out or tone down surounding redundant sites but the SDS200 shuns off the interference extremely well.
I recently got a new SDS200 and was surprised to find it didn't totally get rid of the simulcast issues. However it is better than the BCD996p2 I have. I ordered the same yagi you have and a custom length coax. It's a gamble this will actually work better but I have been wanting to try out a yagi anyway. What I am hoping for is to point this yagi due EAST. There is a P25 system in that direction that is part of the Rhode Island RISCON P25 system. So in addition to picking up the EAST zone better, I am hoping to still hear the NORTH and SOUTH systems too off the side of the beam. It might take a few times up and down ladder to pin point till reception is good. I get pretty good strong signals from the RISCON system here. But each zone has multiple towers. Worst case is I could always use this yagi for monitoring the Mass State Police which is also due east. I can hear them on vertical but much static. I am sure the big hill across my neighborhood is the cause of much scanning grief. The hill is 100' higher than my location. But I find with right antenna in right position, I get very good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.