Email Response from Whisler Today (1/16/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake68111

Here is what I sent to Whistler this morning:

Hello there!

Just a simple question that I realize I may not get an answer to but, why
not?

I'm currently in the market for a new police scanner and as I understand
it, Whistler has obtained the "GRE" rights. I've heard that Whistler will
be coming out with a model/models this year. Uniden has just come out with
a few new scanners and what they have to offer is impressive.

My question is, if I choose to hold off till Whistler starts making
announcements, how long will I be expected to wait before Whistler comes
out with some information on what they have to offer?

I simply don't want to "jump the gun" on a purchase based on what Whistler
might have hiding in the wings.

If any information can be provided, it would be greatly appreciated,
although I'll keep in mind the sensitive nature of the question.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Here is the response I received:

Hi Jake,

Thank you for your inquiry! Whistler's line of scanners are expected to be
released at the end of the first quarter this year. At that time we will
provide information on them via our website, facebook page and by
answering inquiries like yours.

We plan to have a trade in program for customers who have GRE or other
brand scanners and would like to purchase a Whistler. The trade in program
will give a discount off the price of a new Whistler scanner when you
trade in your old unit.

If you can wait to purchase a new unit, I encourage you to do so! Check
back with us toward the end of March and keep an eye on our website at
facebook page for updates.

Thank you,

Sheri Nolan | The Whistler Group
Customer Service/Warranty Manager
Office: 479-464-3586| Fax: 479-696-3686
Toll Free: 800-531-0004
Email: snolan@whistlergroup.com

Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/WhistlerGroup
"Like" us on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/WhistlerGroup

I thought I'd share the information for those waiting. Its pretty much everything we all knew but it does state that the release is still on track for the end of the first quarter of this year.

Ugh, I strongly dislike waiting......... But IMHO, Uniden will be hard to beat for this years releases. Once the Whistler line comes out, the decision shouldn't be hard.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Well I also like the idea of the trade in program. But one thing sounds fishy how much of a discount are we talking here? 10% maybe?

dkf435

The trade in program worries me a little, are the new radios going to be changed so much that software will be different and not support programming updates for the PSR 800 and other database radios??

I would be hoping that they were keeping the same design so FCC recertification would note needed and a parts supply would be available for the 500, 600 106 and 197 radios that I have in inventory. I have already crossed Radio Shack off my list of radios for the poor parts availability and Uniden is not far behind with their tactics on the Home Patrol parts.

David Kb7uns

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Trade in sounds good. But I agree what is the catch?

Given they have been mute about the 800/900's I think they just might have a trick up their sleeve!

I am going to get a 800 If I can find one and if the trade in is worth it, I'll trade the HP and 800 in for a new one. If the trade in value sucks then fleabay and Craigslist it will be!

Either way I am waiting on Whistler. March is not that far away.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Trade in sounds good. But I agree what is the catch?

Given they have been mute about the 800/900's I think they just might have a trick up their sleeve!

I am going to get a 800 If I can find one and if the trade in is worth it, I'll trade the HP and 800 in for a new one. If the trade in value sucks then fleabay and Craigslist it will be!

Either way I am waiting on Whistler. March is not that far away.

I'd hold on to that 800 if I were you! ;)

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I agree that waiting is prudent. With Uniden's new offerings only now getting a good shakedown by the "gotta have mine first" crowd we'll have a pretty good idea what to compare the Whistlers when they come out in March.

dkf435

Those 'fire sale' Pro-18's look like great trade-in bait now!

Why trade them in unless you must have Phase II, trade in old 296 and pro 96 but get rid of analog radios first P25 will be here for a very long time.

And unless they purposely try to lock the PSR800 out of the updates, (and if they do why should I buy anything from Whistler) the radios will be very usable for a long time also.

If Whistler is trying to force obsolescence like Radio Shack has they will be placed on the DO NOT BUY LIST along with Radio Shack.

David Kb7uns

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
Why trade them

Depending on the trade value they give, you could end up getting more for the scanner than was paid for it and get Phase 2 which the Pro-18 doesn't do as well as more scanlist capabilities.

scanchs

Depending on the trade value they give, you could end up getting more for the scanner than was paid for it...

This is very unlikely. Most trade-in programs involving electronic items offer only pennies on the dollar for what an item is actually worth. You will most likely be able to get more for your old scanner by selling it outright.

Manufacturers typically offer trade-in programs so that they can get older products off the streets. Then, more people are forced to buy their new products because the used items are no longer available. Items that are traded in are usually destroyed. :(

ScanCHS

fredva

Feed Provider

I don't know about that. If you buy an 800 before the new Whistler and Uniden scanners are widely available, you may pay a high price to get one. Then by the time the new Phase II scanners are widely available, the value of a used 800 would have dropped and you would lose money on the deal. At least in theory - supply and demand.

troymail

Silent Key
Wow - give 'em time! So much speculation! Regardless of what happens, you always have the option of taking what they offer in trade or just keeping what you have.

I'm just happy they're in the game giving us options!

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well I not sure if I will wait to sell my GRE PSR 600 or wait to see what trade in program they will have. It might just be best since my 600 will sell no problem on EBAY and just wait until I can get one of them

WS1095 units.

Lets say that I paid 350.00 for the GRE PSR 600 and I can easily sell it on EBAY for 325.00 since I have the origional box and all of the fixings. I dont think Whistler is going to be-able to do a trade in and give me that kind of value.

So who knows. I think if you might have an older unit and that is not worth much then it might be an option for a trade in. Not sure if this is a good business move for Whistler or not, since they will have to pay money to get those older units off the market or it could create more sales for the new company. We will wait and see and it's all here say right now. No concrete info on trade in's

D

DaveNF2G

With states like New York getting more aggressive about collecting sales tax from online purchases, and the Federal courts letting them do it, we should probably figure on any trade-ins covering the sales tax and not much more than that.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
IMHO

Just my thoughts, but if Uniden will be releasing their two new models in late January, then I would not totally understand why Whistler would wait until the end of March.

Now I know nothing of running a multimillion dollar company, advertising, sales, or otherwise, but I think there are a lot of guys out there, like me, who won't be able to stand the wait. (Lets face it; I, like many others, are like little kids painfully waiting to open a new gift)

Perhaps if I knew by the end of this month what Whistler WILL BE offering in late March, then I would know what to do. But midway thru February, and not hearing anything from Whistler, I would probably buy the New HH Uniden Scanner.

It is a tough decision.

IMHO.

Greg

(I would really appreciate hearing other, more radio savvy guys with their suggestion as what to do?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.