Email Response from Whisler Today (1/16/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I agree before I cut loose my ONLY scanner that does phase 2 I want to be sure their new one is just as good or better.

Agreed. I don't want to spend money on something that isn't going to preform the way I want it too or the way it says it will.

And I was kinda looking at getting a BCD436HP for my birthday so in April which is a good time to get it then because we will have some reviews on YouTube and stuff like that which will decide which brand I choose

K1MIZ

Premium Subscriber
Forget about "trade in". I would never trade any of my scanners in.
What should be discussed here is, what will Whistler do to build a receiver that can keep up with todays technology. And i am not talking blue tooth, gps or any crap like that. Technology changes fast now a days. At the moment, as far as their scanners go, they are falling behind. I am a HUGE GRE fan. So i hope they get it together soon because that new Uniden scanner looks pretty sharp and as of right now, there is no rival to it.

troymail

Silent Key
What should be discussed here is, what will Whistler do to build a receiver that can keep up with todays technology. And i am not talking blue tooth, gps or any crap like that. Technology changes fast now a days. At the moment, as far as their scanners go, they are falling behind. I am a HUGE GRE fan. So i hope they get it together soon because that new Uniden scanner looks pretty sharp and as of right now, there is no rival to it.

Ford vs. Chevy... falling behind, etc.

I just bought a new car and I cannot believe that car sales these days are focused on cell phones and Internet capabilities, USB ports, and other electronics. I'm only saying this because I buy a car to drive - not to surf the Internet. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying that's not what I'm looking at in a car. I'm looking at fuel efficiency, space, ride, etc. My point is we all have different desires and/or needs in a scanner. Me? I want one that receives and works on the systems and activity I want to "hear". It's not (for me) about what the radio "looks" like, etc.

These same things were said when GRE released Phase 2 capability and Uniden was "behind". Now the shoe is on the other foot - and even more so given Whistler hasn't released anything yet.

Let's not write Whistler off - they just got into the business. I suspect their first steps are getting existing former GRE radios back into production. Then, perhaps we might see some firmware updates/improvements to those models - and then newer models (maybe already being worked?)

I too would hope to see support for the newer GRE models (PSR800, etc.) but I suspect the reason for the "trade-in" offer might be an indication that they won't (but time will tell).

As far as "new" models -- look how long Uniden worked on a new radio that would do Phase 2 while GRE had one on the street. The entire time people talked about Uniden falling behind and now that they've released a new series of radios, Whistler is "falling behind".

We're never going to see the exact same capabilities released by any two vendors at exactly the same time - never have, never will. But we should be incredibly happy that we are likely to have choices (between at least two vendors) in the very near future and two vendors that will continue to compete for your business with features and capabilities the "other guy" doesn't have. Six months ago we only had one potential choice! As with anything, it will come down to preference - and users will buy what they want based on many things but mostly on what they need (we don't all need EDACS, LTR, Phase 2, NXDN, etc.).

And in the end, there will be features/capabilities that neither vendor provides... and all we can do is suggest/ask/request....

Last edited:

savage308

last year i baught a gre-psr 500, going from a Uniden sport cat was a huge jump up, finally figured out p-25, havent ventured into edacs or the other systems yet , win 500 was a godsend to help program it, not sure if the uniden scanner would of been as easy to program for a green newb to the digital world , so hoping whistler makes their new ones as user friendly as possible will help with sales,

KE4RWS

Whistler's trade-in program

Something tells me Whistler's "trade-in program" isn't gonna appeal to most people. Still, I'm sure some folks will take advantage of it in order to get another scanner, and although I would likely never use it, that doesn't mean nobody else would :)

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Trust me its not going to appeal to most people for sure. I bought my 600 model for 350 a couple of years ago and sold for 325 last month. Get rid of the old trash and make room for more diamonds.

I figured that there is no way Whistler was going to give me 325.00 bucks for a trade in for sure. That would break their bank for sure.

KE4RWS

Trust me its not going to appeal to most people for sure. I bought my 600 model for 350 a couple of years ago and sold for 325 last month. Get rid of the old trash and make room for more diamonds.

I figured that there is no way Whistler was going to give me 325.00 bucks for a trade in for sure. That would break their bank for sure.

Yeah, I think their trade-in deal will likely be nothing more than getting a small discount on a new model by having to hand over your old scanner (which may not even be "old" to begin with). Either way it usually means the consumer incurs a major loss. Car dealers use the same bait trick all the time. Only thing is this method of commerce only works on *certain* people. Fortunately, I'm immune :D

I suppose if people wanna do it and it works for them then go for it. It just doesn't work for ME :lol:

Last edited:

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just like the way it is in the car business. You get more money to sell your car to private party instead of trading it in. It depends how you want to deal with your money

rwier

Amen to that, in fact, it has never even crossed my mind. I would actually prefer to give the "trade in" away to someone who could make good use of it.

k8zgw

Just curious ??

What do you think Whisler might come out with that would be BETTER then the 800 ?

You know they won't give you nearly what you paid for it, so why get rid of it ??

All of you need to relax, when the new Whisler comes out, THEN you can decide .....

I really don't see a lot of systems, that are not already phase II, changing

Don

KE4RWS

What do you think Whisler might come out with that would be BETTER then the 800 ?

You know they won't give you nearly what you paid for it, so why get rid of it ??

All of you need to relax, when the new Whisler comes out, THEN you can decide .....

I really don't see a lot of systems, that are not already phase II, changing

Don

I can think of several things that would be better than an 800, like an 800 with a KEYPAD! We're totally "relaxed" though but are merely having fun with what is being touted as a "Trade-in Program". It's more humorous to us than anything.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
IF ! I had one of the $160 Pro-18s ,and Whistler offered a$150 trade-in on a new version of the 800 or 900, I think I would jump for it, especially if they were priced like the 800 was originally, in the $400 range.

KE4RWS

IF ! I had one of the $160 Pro-18s ,and Whistler offered a$150 trade-in on a new version of the 800 or 900, I think I would jump for it, especially if they were priced like the 800 was originally, in the $400 range.

Yeah that would sure be nice but I can tell you right now they won't offer anywhere near that amount because that's not how these "trade-in" programs work. They only offer a fraction of what you paid for your item because they have to be able to get peoples' scanners super cheap :lol:

Last edited:

dkf435

If I remember correctly I think this trade in thing comes over from the radar detector market I seem to remember manufacturers giving trade in value when up grading to the newest detectors years ago when the technology was evolving fast.

David Kb7uns

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Whistler said they would take "other brands" as trade ins. Looks like I'll be trading in a bunch of old Uniden Bear Trackers for the Whistler 900 Radar Tracker.

If I drink/smoke enough tonight, I'm gonna figure out a way for an even up trade.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Good Luck. Smoking cigarettes huh? I usually have a few smokes and some coffee to kick-start my brain in motion.

Greg

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Well Gents,
if the new Whistler scanner is not computer controlled, count me out. I enjoy Unitrunker and Procom96 too much. Both are much better software than "Ez-Scan".
My PSR800 is currently a brick because it is not computer controlled. I will sell it and buy a new Uniden.

vince48

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Vince go ahead and get your uniden, Considering the 800 a brick just because it is not "computer controlled" is just asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.