emailing from database for Win500

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyes00only

I sent a Win500 file to a friend but he said it wouldn't open in his Win500.

What is the proper way for me to send a file, and the proper way for my
friend to get into his Win500?

Thanks in advance.

JK

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I sent a Win500 file to a friend but he said it wouldn't open in his Win500.

What is the proper way for me to send a file, and the proper way for my
friend to get into his Win500?

Thanks in advance.

JK
Whether Win500 (for the GRE made scanners), or FreeScan (for the Uniden's), I've found that the email programs tend to try an convert the attached file into text, either during the send process, or on the receiving, or maybe one of the email server's in between. They often end up stripping out the formatting that make the file work in the scanner software, rendering it useless, even if the attachment's file extension (*.p500 for Win500 for example) was still in place.

I gave up trying to decide whether to blame Yahoo, Thunderbird, Hotmail, Outlook Express, and the rest of the gang. Instead, I just use Win-zip for any attachment I'm going to send. Assuming your recipient is familiar with how to unzip a compressed file, with one of the many programs (often freeware, some in Windows itself), that will end the problem. It did for me.

eyes00only

Thanks. I just got WinZip and haven't quite learned it yet, but I will try to zip a file and send it to him if I can figure it out.

JK

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I just got WinZip and haven't quite learned it yet, but I will try to zip a file and send it to him if I can figure it out.

JK
Once you install WinZip, it's real easy.

In Window's Explorer (or in WinZip itself, but to me, it's easier just to use Window's Explorer):
Navigate to the folder where your Win500 files are stored.
(In my case, I have a folder, labeled 'files', as a sub-folder of the Win500 folder.)
<Right> click on the file you want to zip & attach.
You'll get a Windows pop-up menu. You'll have the standard choices- Open, Copy, Move to, Send to, Delete, (probably a scan option for your anti-virus), several others.
You should also see two related to WinZip:
One will say "Add to Zip" (that actually just starts WinZip)
The other is the one you want. It should say "Add to "xxxxx.zip", where "xxxxx", without the quotes, is the name, without extension, of the file you clicked on.
Example- If I right click on my Win500 file labeled "DFW Metro.p500", then, when the pop-up appeared, I chose "Add to DFW Metro.zip" (quotes added only for illustration), WinZip would would then create a file, by that name, within the same folder.

If you choose the "Add to zip" option instead (no file name), and started WinZip, you'd then have to specify what zip file to add the file to, or choose create a new one from the WinZip. It's quicker to to it the other way, unless you're going to be combining several files. If that were the case, you could simply highlight them all first, then right click.

Whichever way you choose to zip the file, once that's done, just attach to your email message as normal. As long as your friend has WinZip, or a program capable of unzipping the file (it's a standard format), it'll work fine.

ddoorman

To: eyes00only

What version of Win500 are you and your friend using? Suggest that you both download the current version and then email the file. I think this will correct your problem.

eyes00only

We both have the latest Win500. I did pull a file from my Win500 and got the option to
zip it, but my free trial of WinZip expired. I guess I need to buy some zip software.
Thanks for the help everyone.

JK

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hardly. Go get a copy of 7zFM. Do a google search - you'll find it. I understand WinRAR is also very good.

73 Mike

eyes00only

I'm always a bit paranoid to download unless I'm really sure they're safe.
I have heard about WinRAR and may try it. Thanks for the tip.

JK

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've been using 7zFM for about a year now, and no problems at all; no malware, viruses, hidden ads, etc. It's an open source project, and it's free.

Can't get better than that; it does what I need it to without much fuss....73 Mike

eyes00only

OK, I ended up clicking on the ad here on Radio Reference and downloaded the latest 7-Zip. I sure hope I avoided all the dang add ons & toolbar
crap they tried to stick in there. I'll try zippin' my buddy a file this weekend.
Thanks again!

JK

LSEMT219

Why don't you just find the file and right click and hit send to zip folder? No need to download programs to do this. It's built right into windows.

eyes00only

That never seems to work, but I'm probably doing it wrong. Where does the file go when you zip it that way? For some reason my Win500 files want to go to the Widows Media Player, then it says it can't open them. Anyway, I'm required by Irish law to go eat some corned beef & cabbage before work. I'll try all this again this weekend.

Thanks!

JK

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Why don't you just find the file and right click and hit send to zip folder? No need to download programs to do this. It's built right into windows.

I have also found that Explorer's zip/unzip can corrupt files; it's not very reliable. Better to use an external app for things like this 73 Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Might not work with Vista according to their website.
Interesting that the ad posted on this page is for the
7-Zip Download.

JK
7-zip is working just fine on my Vista 64 Home Premium laptop. (The WinZip version I have is not compatible with Vista, so rather than purchase a newer one, I downloaded 7-zip for that specific machine.)

Status
Not open for further replies.