Embarrisment to Glendale Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix805

Glendale's Fire Station 1 (AKA 151) was a small building at 55 Ave & Orangewood and was used for something like 50 years before finally being moved to a new modern building just off 51 Ave & Glendale a few years ago. When the new station became active, the old station was put to use for storage.

This morning the Fire Department dispatch page showed a 1st alarm working structure fire at 7500 N 55 Ave. There are no other structures there, only grass, a park and a playground for a church. It had to be that building. So a few hours later, after things had time to calm down, we HAD to drive by there and take a look. Sure enough, there were 4-5 Glendale trucks there and about 20 firefighters cleaning out burned debris from the building. Sad.... and embarrassing.

KB7MIB

Really? Wow.
And I wasn't aware that they had moved to a new station. I never heard anything about it. I'll have to go look for it, because I've been through that area several times recently and haven't noticed it.

Phoenix805

The new station 151 is at 6851 N 52 Ave, not exactly on a major street where it's easy to find/be seen. It's actually right across from the old sugar beet plant. It's a nice building, similar to the huge station 157 on 59 Ave next to the college. They moved in 2008.

Old Glendale fire station catches fire
I don't know, it looked to me like there was more damage done than what the article says.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Why do you feel its an embarrassment to the department? The article says nothing about a cause yet. Perhaps it was accidental in nature.

KB7MIB

I think anytime a fire station catches fire, whether accidental or otherwise, it can be an embarassment to the crews. They didn't do anything wrong, of course, but the public perception is, they're the ones who put out fires, not the ones who's stations catch fire.

Phoenix805

I think either the Republic or the Fire Department isn't telling the whole story. They reported damage was limited to the restroom. Why was it a 1 alarm assignment? I know I shouldn't assume things, but the article said someone reported seeing flames from the roof. It's a small 1-story building, I would have thought they'd start a 3-1 assignment, and if it went to a 1 alarm, the original crews would have called for more help. When I went by this morning there was a roll-off dumpster in the driveway that was completely filled with damaged material.

radiomanNJ1

Some of you have a conspiracy behind everything.
It was an abandoned building not an active fire station.

Do you think these cub reporters can get anything straight?
BTW please use spell check.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I know around here the volunteer fire departments take forever to finally go out to a fire...wouldn't be surprised if their own fire station burned down. lol.

Phoenix805

Some of you have a conspiracy behind everything.
It was an abandoned building not an active fire station.

Do you think these cub reporters can get anything straight?
BTW please use spell check.

Not even thinking about conspiracies, just griping that either GFD is giving out false info, or more likely the news media is messing up another story. BTW, it was not an abandoned building, the building was used for storage and the grounds were used for storing extra fire equipment. The article in the AZ Republic today twice called it fire station 151. It's a former fire station being used for storage, Fire Station 151 is a different building a mile away. The news reporters couldn't even get that right. I kind of think the new media should check their facts and make accurate reports. I know, I'm asking a lot!

Oh, and what did I misspell that my spell checker missed?

Glendale's Fire Station 1 (AKA 151) was a small building at 55 Ave & Orangewood and was used for something like 50 years before finally being moved to a new modern building just off 51 Ave & Glendale a few years ago. When the new station became active, the old station was put to use for storage.

This morning the Fire Department dispatch page showed a 1st alarm working structure fire at 7500 N 55 Ave. There are no other structures there, only grass, a park and a playground for a church. It had to be that building. So a few hours later, after things had time to calm down, we HAD to drive by there and take a look. Sure enough, there were 4-5 Glendale trucks there and about 20 firefighters cleaning out burned debris from the building. Sad.... and embarrassing.

what's embarrassing about that?? it's not unheard of to have fire stations burn down!! it's just another structure fire like anything else, it could have been the simplest thing like the air conditioner overheating

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Hardly embarrassing. What qualifies as embarrassing is when firefighters accidentally leave the stove on when they rush out to a call and that starts a fire.

As others have said, this was not an active fire station. They did nothing to cause the fire and it's not like it took them an hour to get there.

As for the spellcheck comment...it's in the title..."embarrissment" instead of "embarrassment"

Phoenix805

Thanks Brenda, I wondered what I misspelled. My spelling never was that great, but with the advent of computers and spell checkers it has gotten better. Now I usually see when I goof up and remember the next time. Unfortunately I guess RR's spell checker doesn't check the titles unless I really spaced it out!

And to you and the others, I concede! I would have thought it would be embarrassing to GFD to have a fire in one of their own buildings, even if it wasn't their fault. But I guess I should have titled it differently. It was intended to be a story about a fire in a fire department owned building. The intent wasn't supposed to be about how embarrassing it was to the department.

Move along people, nothing to see here. I've been kicked enough! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.