EmComm net on 147.27 WE4RC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGA

Setting up a new VHF/UHF station today. First time getting on the air in about a year since moving. I was scanning the waves in an attempt to familiarize myself with the reception range. I stopped when I heard a net. 1045h is an odd time for one, so I decided to stay a while and listen in. Instead of for sale messages or weather reports, a few stations passed emergency info involving an radiological accident of some sort. Red Cross, Athens Regional, St Mary's Hospital, Walton Regional stations participated in what turned out as a drill. The messages contained information about the number of sick/injured, the location and cause of the emergency, vehicle assets committed/needed. I'd like to listen into the net again as I found it quite interesting. Any one have information on the source and nature of the drill? WE4RC's website doesn't mention it. Thanks.

MOGA

Yep, that has to be explanation for the net I heard yesterday. Wow, the agencies represented are wider than I initially realized. Blocking the road and isolating the scene of the radiological spill in conjunction with setting up the radio net in an effort to add realism to the disaster exericise is impressive. With any hope, there were lessons learned that will benefit the FR and citizenry in the area should a real emergency ever arise.

Now that I know that the operation was officially sanctioned by the State, I will say that the Red Cross station needs much more practice in message handling. Although the messages were fairly simple and spoken clearly at normal speed, the messages that went through RC required frequent repeating. Precious time would have been lost as a result if the exercise were a true emergency IMO. OTOH, the net control (KN4QJ) was very competent and handled his responsibilities well. He's obviously a very seasoned hand.

Thanks for digging up the story nunyax.

MOGA

A member on another board I frequent participated in a mock disaster event in Utah and wrote up an AAR about it. He mentioned that his outfit intends to send out surveys to all that were involved in the operation to find areas of improvement. I think the GEMA people would be wise to do the same after conclusion of exercises too. Don't file the plan away until something does happen, only to find out that the plan is deficient in spite of the one practice run. There may not be the time or funding to run simulations frequently but sims isn't the only way shore up the disaster plans. JMO.

K9WG

... snip ...

Now that I know that the operation was officially sanctioned by the State, I will say that the Red Cross station needs much more practice in message handling. Although the messages were fairly simple and spoken clearly at normal speed, the messages that went through RC required frequent repeating. Precious time would have been lost as a result if the exercise were a true emergency IMO. ... snip ...

That is why they have this type of drill. Hopefully in the after action report this will be addressed and additional training or coaching provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.