Emergency Declared for demonstrations in VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
That's your choice I suppose. Hopefully someone else will decide to stream the audio.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I believe he means he’s going to lock into STARS, not take the feed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Tac team 3

Last year on the Friday before the Saturday Unite The Right rally in Charlottesville, I was hearing VSP Tactical Team members in-transit up to Charlottesville chatting car-to-car on [Appomattox] TAC TEAM 3 (GID: 48 on STARS) in a mix of Clear and Secure. (one or two users were secure, the rest were unencrypted)

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Last year on the Friday before the Saturday Unite The Right rally in Charlottesville, I was hearing VSP Tactical Team members in-transit up to Charlottesville chatting car-to-car on [Appomattox] TAC TEAM 3 (GID: 48 on STARS) in a mix of Clear and Secure. (one or two users were secure, the rest were unencrypted)

I definitely wouldn’t have that on the feed, perfect example of other departments going to encryption

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I should have said I will have my feed broadcasting STARS "only"! I am talking about the "dispatch" channels. I am sure encryption will be used and the mobile data will be primary as it is every day. The hobby that I have enjoyed since the early 1970's is rapidly ending.

Ben

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Nothing so far on TAC TEAM3 like last year, but this morning started to hear comms on "Command Post 3" (tgid 6137 on the STARS system).

After the underwhelming presence of VSP last year, I can only assume that they brought in one of their three mobile command post vehicles, which contains a stand-alone 4-channel P-25 trunked system.

Since Charlottesville is within Division-3 (HQ in Appomattox), I can only assume that the CP vehicle staged at Appomattox was brought to C'Ville for the weekend. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=28493

There are two others CP Vehicles stored at: Richmond and Chesapeake.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I noticed miserable audio quality here and particularly after the helicopter announced they were sending live camera feeds down.

I did hear 2 talking about they had each other clear on their cell phones. Was that on 1 of the apps such as Zello?

I am very glad that things went smoother this year. Possibly because of the rain!

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Due to the needed interoperability between all the jurisdictions that were present due to mutual aid, the majority of communications appeared to be on the nationwide 700MHz interop frequencies. Traffic related to the protests was very limited on STARS.

cshiffy105

Most of the traffic that I could hear was on Event 3 on the Charlottesville/Albermarle system. VSP was patched in.

I have to say that the audio quality was awful. The event channel that Charlottesville was using is an analog talkgroup and had VSP digital patched in. Garbled audio and the ECC having to ask users to repeat was common.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
They must have been patching things from the interop frequencies then. VSP and the mutual aid law enforcement agencies were operating on one of the 700MHz interop tac's, with FIRE/EMS being on a separate one. A mobile repeated was set up presumably at the command post near JPJ. I image they had the interop/Charlottesville-Albemarle/STARS system all patched together. The interop frequencies being used were digital, so maybe that accounts for the poor audio quality on EVENT 3?

cshiffy105

They must have been patching things from the interop frequencies then. VSP and the mutual aid law enforcement agencies were operating on one of the 700MHz interop tac's, with FIRE/EMS being on a separate one. A mobile repeated was set up presumably at the command post near JPJ. I image they had the interop/Charlottesville-Albemarle/STARS system all patched together. The interop frequencies being used were digital, so maybe that accounts for the poor audio quality on EVENT 3?

I guess that would make sense. I heard "Radio Test 123" a few days before and even during use of the channel. I was shocked to see that they didn't patch the audio through to one of the digital event channels.

One other thing I noticed that I haven't seen before was the use of the "SIRS Patch" talkgroup. I'm assuming that group is for the state police emergency response but all audio that was received through this TG was unreadable, not encrypted just badly broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.