Emergency Freq across Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramjet555

I am told that Search and Rescue Aircraft and Helicopters carry FM VHF-UHF radios and use what is called SIM 11 148.075 and Marine Channel 6 156.3 FM
Does anyone know what is "SIM 11"?
If an aircraft did an emergency landing in a remote area,what would be the best frequency to have programmed into a VHF-UHF handheld
and to put in the remarks section of a filed flight plan?

Assume there is no ADSB out, 406 MHz EPIRB, or GPS Spot or Aircraft AM VHF handheld on board the aircraft.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The only SIM 11 I know of is used by the OPP in Ontario and the frequency is 148.765MHz. I've heard their helicopter on it before but if you ever transmitted on it, they'd come and find you for sure. Once the incident is over, you would most likely be charged.

Don't know why you wouldn't carry a SPOT device or something similar with 2 way voice capability?

Ramjet555

Thanks for the explanation of Sim 11 and its OPP use. 148.765 is not the frequency I mentioned of 148.075.
I was told by a SAR pilot that SIM 11 is in fact 148.075 and probably a very good frequency to use
if you really needed to get a VHF connection in an emergency with a search aircraft
rather than having them try to call you on an airborne cell network.

I did say "assume there is NO SPOT. For this excercise you can assume there is NO voice, NO Satphone, NO air to air
NO cell, etc.

Your claim that you would be charged after the incident is bull**** unlimited.
You can use any frequency in an emergency.
The key is, being prepared and using the most appropriate frequency
should an emergency arise.

Reality check. Most private aircraft do NOT carry a spot on board.
Survival gear is not required to be carried by private aircraft in sparsely populated areas.

My question is what FM VHF or UHF frequency on a handheld would be the best one to have
programmed into a UV5-R or similar.

I'm down to a UHF GMRS freq or Marine VHF freq like CH 6 that SAR use as a training frequency.

Any ideas appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.