Emergency vehicle lighting in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I know it's trivial but I'm curious because I tend to notice very trivial things. But I can't help but notice that over the last 2-3 years or so a lot of NJ police departments who used to have just red lights on their vehicles now have both red and blue. And they just seem to replace a bunch of them at random. Is there something to this, some mandate or guideline, or is it just a coincidence? And I also notice that a lot of the new ambulances and fire apparatus are going to both blue and red too. Strange.

mondaro

Feed Provider
I think that's how there selling the state contract light bars, That's why many PD's have them, For my agency I request all red lights and I got rid of the blue lights long ago.

Tech792

Emergency vehicle lighting is part of my job for my town. No mandate here. Just personal preference. Something different with more variations to get peoples' attention. More visability. Plus I think the blue LEDs are a lot brighter then what the older blue light incandescence bulbs use to be.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
color of lights

thru out the US police departments use different lights per dept directives, i have been building police cars for about ten years in two states, many depts are going to red and blues for a uniformed look all over the us.

lets say you live in new york and you go to florida for a week and as you drive down i95 a car pulls behind you will all blue lights are u sure he is a cop or a want to be, since nypd uses red and white

i do belive this my be the reason you dept changed colors not cost or supplier

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Blue Light Fever

The trend seems to be to going towards blue lights for all State Police agencies throughout the US. In the 70's thats what (LEAA) had planned, and a lot of agencies didn't want to go to it. During that time New Jersy was a stange exeption, I can remember being at the Bergen Co Sheriffs garage, and the State DMV Police (Yes Police) came in and told the shop manager that all the Blue lens had to removed in 24 hours or the cars would be impounded for unlawfull lights. Pretty absurd. Here in New Yrok I suspect in a few years the entire light bars for the State Police will be blue and the volunteers will lose them.

SCPD

QRT
RED= more visible during the day
BLUE=more visible at night
i personally believe that all EV's should have R/B on them so they function at top quality during all hours of the day. i have been a strong supporter of this for awhile now.

SCPD

QRT
lakekid313 said:
i personally believe that all EV's should have R/B on them so they function at top quality during all hours of the day. i have been a strong supporter of this for awhile now.

I concur. I believe that law enforcement was beginning to realize that blue is more visible at night. A lot of volunteers were buying blue/clear lens' when strobes came about for the visiblity. Now with the invent of LED's IMHO the clear lens is not necessary. When I turn on the Blue/Blue LED people now jump out of my way, sometimes too quickly.

Plus, LED's last much longer than rotators or strobes and use less power and for full lightbars, more aerodynamic and stealthy. Also, a lot of towns follow whatever NJSP does.

compuruss

res148cue said:
When I turn on the Blue/Blue LED people now jump out of my way, sometimes too quickly.

Repectfully, res148cue, I must disagree. My Whelen Talon blue light is usually not very effective during the day, but performs exceptionally at night.

SCPD

QRT
compuruss said:
Repectfully, res148cue, I must disagree. My Whelen Talon blue light is usually not very effective during the day, but performs exceptionally at night.

It all depends on who is in front of you. I have the same light (Dual model).

SCPD

QRT
res148cue said:
I concur. I believe that law enforcement was beginning to realize that blue is more visible at night. A lot of volunteers were buying blue/clear lens' when strobes came about for the visiblity. Now with the invent of LED's IMHO the clear lens is not necessary. When I turn on the Blue/Blue LED people now jump out of my way, sometimes too quickly.

Plus, LED's last much longer than rotators or strobes and use less power and for full lightbars, more aerodynamic and stealthy. Also, a lot of towns follow whatever NJSP does.

I forgot to mention that they are bright during the day too, and the fog factor.

npd155

dot studies showed the mix of red and blue improved visablity and reduced the number of police related collisions. The nj state AG recommended all agencies to use the red/blue which they "agenices" are doing. The AG also recommended the revert back to black and white cars because the public does not have to recognize the town/boro or city ....just that its a police car. If the AG did not recommend the change agenices would still just be all "red" as NJ has always been....and blue is more expensive then red.

SCPD

QRT
well i really dont agree with the color change even though i love black and white cruisers, that would be like saying all fire appuratus with a yellow or other paint scheme would have to turn back to red. i would think that most people are smart enough to figure out that a cruiser behind them with L/S means pullover. i wish it was the same with fire trucks lol

scanjunkie

lakekid313 said:
I couldn't agree more...

EMD91123

Red Lights-----Strictly Police Vehicles not eqipped w/Oxygen for medical purposes
Blue Lights---Vehicle used for Emergency Medical Assistance
Combination---Vehicle used for Police and Medical use

comspec

EMD91123 said:
Red Lights-----Strictly Police Vehicles not eqipped w/Oxygen for medical purposes

Is this your suggestion? It certainly is an interesting one, but this is not a law.

The types and colors of lights are usually spelled out in the V&T Law. In NY Red and White are for Emergency Vehicles and Blue for Volunteer Fire Fighter (personal vehicle) responding to alarm and green for volunteer EMS (personal vehicle) responding to call for service.

In NJ its the same except FD and EMS both use blue. Some states mandate blue for Law Enforcement only with all other emergency vehicles using red/white.

Amber is frequently used rear facing on all emergecy vehicles because that it supposed to be the most visible.

Persoanlly, I think it is all hype by the lightbar sales people. If you have red you need blue because...
and if you have blue you need red because...

After all you can't sell the latest model if you don't create desire for it.

SCPD

QRT
EMD91123 said:
the lights should have no meaning other than to pull over, the only light that has a specific cause is green which identifies incident commander. red lights or blue lights you should pull over

EMD91123

When I worked as 911 Supervisor for Paterson we had a big to do about the police using blue on the light bar and was advbised to either get oxygen tanks in the police vehicles or take the blue off. I was advised that is the law in the State of NJ regarding the color of the lightbar on Police/EMS/Fire vehicles.

SCPD

QRT
EMD91123 said:

Wrong. Red lights are for Police, Fire and EMS. It's their choice whether to use all red or a combination of red/blue.

Also, volunteer EMT's and Firefighters use blue lights in their personal vehicles. Not strictly for "Emergency Medical Assistance".

Whoever told you that doesn't know either.

firecentral

Blue Lights On The Parkway...

Is It True That Ems/fire Personnel Cannot Use Blue Lights On The Garden State Parkway Or Is This Just A Rumor? If I Do Use The Blue Light Will I Be Pulled Over And What Are The "probable" Consequences If Im Caught...

Status
Not open for further replies.