Employee Told To Remove US Flag Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Well, in all honesty, you don't know if the supervisor was some "snot-nosed kid" and what you or I think should be allowed isn't the issue. There are bigger potential issues to deal with if policy is not followed.
The "policy" was written in a boneheaded manner. My uniform policy specifically states that an American flag pin may be worn, but that no other flag pin can be displayed, which was actually to get rid of the crossed US/Irish and US/Italian flag pins that were being worn.

This company made a big deal about how they are an AMERICAN company, and that they proudly display the flag above their hotel. Obviously, they are not proud enough to let their employees show their pride in the country. As was pointed out above, if it was a US Flag pin in another country, people wouldn't be getting upset, but this company has, at least in my opinion, squatted and taken a huge dump on our flag, and the pride associated with the country. The media has latched onto them, and I'd be willing to bet that they reverse their "policy" at some point and allow American Flags while prohibiting any other flags, which is NOT discrimination, but a statement of the company's patriotism. It's a hotel chain....for gawd sake, what bigger issues can arise if policy isn't followed?

JoeyC

It's a hotel chain....for gawd sake, what bigger issues can arise if policy isn't followed?
I've already given an example. A lawsuit and more bad publicity.

I am not saying I agree with their policy, but it is what it is. Calling it written in a boneheaded manner is opinion but doesn't invalidate it. Perhaps they will re-write the policy but I think their action in terminating the gentleman for refusing to comply was valid as boneheadedly written as the policy may be at this point.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard any more about it I haven't seen anything on the news or online....... I do not have net at home been down for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.