Employment Poll #2

I want to;

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

Given the opportunity to make a choice with no other consequences;

Would you rather stay at the job level you are at, or move up?

Just to make it fair, assume that "moving up" includes any combination of;
More responsibility,
More prestige,
More access to management,
For this, assume the money stays about the same (or commensurate with the added work/responsibility), as it is a given that people want more money. In other words, try to take money out of the thinking.

13riverking

Perfect job

No way, I have the perfect job, work on a military airfield, with plenty of time to monitor airtraffic coms. Pay me double and I would think about a desk job.

N

N_Jay

stay, im as high up on the food chain i can, if i become a manager i will make less, and i make a little more than the boss/owner. supposedly.
Moving up does not have to be about money, nor does it have to be with the same organization.

ltjweiss

Moving up does not have to be about money, nor does it have to be with the same organization.
very true but in this industry and at the age i am my current position interests me most and what makes me happy, maybe further done the road i might get into teaching, but any other position doesnt interests me. theres always more to experience.

RayAir

I'll stay where I am at. I see how they treat at-will employees. Guys who knew their jobs with 20-30yrs, those were the ones they fired first. And they got very pitiful severances. These guys were management and many had advanced degrees. Most of them really contributed. Then they bring in recent college grads or people desperate for a job and pay them $30K/yr and dog them until they either do the impossible or get fired.

No thanks!

Now what they're doing is hiring UN-PAID interns. These are usually kids in their 3rd or 4th year of college. They receive no pay, but they get to say they have "experience" on a resume when they go to apply for a real job.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
I see nothing wrong with being ambitious. I'd much rather march to THIS idiot's drummer, than some other idiot.

Rmdig79

[QUOTEI'd shovel s*** into a fan if I could find someone to hire me.[/QUOTE]
That just about says it all in my world.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Power, money, I don't care about either one.

The only reason I work for someone else is to have the bills paid for my time off and family. I have plenty to do on my own time to extend my knowledge, satisfy my curiosities and learn new technologies. Work is simply something that gets in the way of life.

There's a missing option

Re-align quality of life, work/life balance.

My target is to move somewhere far cheaper, cut my cost of living to the bone and learn the lesson of the first two thirds of my life...and learn to actually live it.

jhooten

Since the option I have chosen to exercise is not listed, RETIREMENT, I would stay where I am at. My current position offers me variety, challenge, and a good degree of independence.

N

N_Jay

Since the option I have chosen to exercise is not listed, RETIREMENT, I would stay where I am at. My current position offers me variety, challenge, and a good degree of independence.
Yes, that would be "Stay where you are", because (assuming you are married) you are unqualified to move into management, and I doubt you can be trusted to supervise the dog. :D

I am hoping to be qualified for such a position someday. ;)

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
In my present gig the higher you move up the more of a chew-toy you become to Accounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.