Votes: 7 14.0%
  • It matters based on other things

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

Would you prefer to be paid hourly or salary.

All else being the same;
(Given that at the end of the year, you have worked the exact same hours and received the exact same compensation, all overtime, bonuses, etc. included)

freqs

The Garbage Company's I have worked for have paid by the dumpster I dont like being paid that way .
No Dumpsters no pay you can't count on what you make a week and limited to 60 hours a week.Dispatchers had their favorite drivers so those guy's made all the money making loads.Now I only take hourly jobs I know how much I make for x- amount of hours I pull more loads at a hourly shop than I did at paid by the load.
less stress at a hourly job you dont have to drive the truck like a fool to make a good wage and work all the hours-- 60 plus if I want.

ltjweiss

commission would be under salary correct? im an temporarily unemployed collision technician and we are usually paid by hours we have booked for the week for example: on average i would do around 100 hours worth of work a week and only actually work for 35-40 hour in the shop. which always worked awesome for me. thats why i voted salary, ASSuming commission was in the same category as salary.

N

N_Jay

I did not consider commission or piecework, but could have.

Again, the assumption is at the end of the year you have worked the same amount of time, put in the same effort and been paid the same amount, so the whole "I don't get enough work and hence pay, or I get to work harder and make more is for another discussion.

RayAir

I prefer to be paid hourly.

At my work they make many of the salary workers work 60+ hours a week for their set pay; no overtime. Plus they just cut their salaries by 20% and made them pay more on their insurance.

If I work 60hrs, I get 20 hours of time and a half. If they make me come in Sunday, I get double time.

I'll take hourly pay, that way they can't screw me.

N

N_Jay

I prefer to be paid hourly.

At my work they make many of the salary workers work 60+ hours a week for their set pay; no overtime. Plus they just cut their salaries by 20% and made them pay more on their insurance.

If I work 60hrs, I get 20 hours of time and a half. If they make me come in Sunday, I get double time.

I'll take hourly pay, that way they can't screw me.
The assumption was at the end of the year you put in the same hours for the same pay?

N

N_Jay

Kind of interesting.

As not sure which way people would lean.

Still a little surprised the how vocal the "Hourly" side is.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
What if the overtime never added up to what was expected?
If you assume some risk of not getting the workload to require as much overtime as would equal the salary paid total, then I would pick salary. The original question appeared to have no risk of losing any money at the end of the year. I am primarily at my job for the money after all.:wink:

RayAir

The assumption was at the end of the year you put in the same hours for the same pay?
So all things being equal I guess there's no point in asking this question since it wouldn't matter one way or the other. Just put me don't for "doesn't matter" then.

Oh well, thanks.

Hope you got the results you were looking for.

N

N_Jay

So all things being equal I guess there's no point in asking this question since it wouldn't matter one way or the other. Just put me don't for "doesn't matter" then.

Oh well, thanks.

Hope you got the results you were looking for.
Was not sure what I was looking for.

The question got prompted as I was reading an article on a company that got sued for having their store managers on salary and the state of CA said they should have received overtime and mandatory breaks (hence, treated like hourly).

zz0468

QRT
I'd prefer to be salaried. But that's a double edge sword... many employers don't agree that the flexibility should go both ways, so most people are better off as hourly workers.

Would you prefer to be paid hourly or salary.

All else being the same;
(Given that at the end of the year, you have worked the exact same hours and received the exact same compensation, all overtime, bonuses, etc. included)
But the problem with a lot of supposed "white-collar" jobs is unpaid overtime, except many of these jobs don't exactly pay a white-collar salary. Just look at the accounting field. Becoming a CPA was the biggest mistake of my life.

N

N_Jay

What a silly question. It's like asking, "would you rather have steak and potatoes for dinner or potatoes and steak?".
To some people, but to others it is significant.

(Or everyone would have provided you answer.)

Status
Not open for further replies.