Ems b 100.0pl

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd119

Anyone in Washburn or Sawyer counties hearing a constant buzzing sound on EMS B with the Hayward Hospital PL tone? It's keeps coming on and off different times of the day and night. It's driving many area hospitals, EMS, Fire & Law people nuts if they have it in their radios.

box23

Anyone in Washburn or Sawyer counties hearing a constant buzzing sound on EMS B with the Hayward Hospital PL tone? It's keeps coming on and off different times of the day and night. It's driving many area hospitals, EMS, Fire & Law people nuts if they have it in their radios.

Yes, I've heard it many times. I believe it to be Hayward's base acting up as usual.

n9upc

Ding...yes it is the Hayward Hospital base. I am assuming by the sound and the fact that it did rain yesterday that a ground loop is coming back in on the wireline to the transmitter causing it to key-up and cause a buzzing type noise.

I just wish hospital would ALL go back to the PL encode and decode and not the suggested hospital Rx PL and Tx CSQ.

sfd119

Yeah, I figured it was Hayward's because of the areas I was picking it up at. Hayward has a far range with their tower.

surferman2u

Do you have any more info on this? Do you hear any voices in the background? (open mic?) Is there any pattern to it at all? I live in Sawyer County and we have not been picking up any of this on our radios at all.

sfd119

No voices in the background. It's just a buzzing sound that keys up for literally a second. It normally happens late at night/early morning. There's no rhyme or reason with timing. Sometimes it's all night other times it's not. It's coming acrossed with 100.0 PL. I usually hit the NUIS button and lock it out the next time it pops up again.

box23

Yeah, I figured it was Hayward's because of the areas I was picking it up at. Hayward has a far range with their tower.

Yes, they do. But somehow they can never hear us more than a few miles out. I really think they need a competent radio tech to go over their whole system.

It's almost like they don't know about some of the problems even though we have told them multiple times. Either that or someone along the line doesn't care so the information doesn't get where it needs to be.

sigh...

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Yes, they do. But somehow they can never hear us more than a few miles out. I really think they need a competent radio tech to go over their whole system.

It's almost like they don't know about some of the problems even though we have told them multiple times. Either that or someone along the line doesn't care so the information doesn't get where it needs to be.

sigh...

Amazing eh? Ya gotta wonder if they can hear this themselves, from what i`ve been reading of this thread it (this buzzing interference) sounds like it`s really anoying, curiously, does this happen all the time (constant keyup), or is it just when someone transmits? Intresting. N9NRA

surferman2u

Does anyone have a time frame when they started hearing this? And any explanation why our radios don't pick it up here in Sawyer County?

box23

Amazing eh? Ya gotta wonder if they can hear this themselves, from what i`ve been reading of this thread it (this buzzing interference) sounds like it`s really anoying, curiously, does this happen all the time (constant keyup), or is it just when someone transmits? Intresting. N9NRA

From what I can figure, they do not hear it. When they transmit normally, as they unkey their system, being a tone remote, makes a very unique sound that I have never heard from any other hospital. From my analysis what we are hearing is a buzzing mixed in with that unique unkey.

The buzzing sounds kinda electrical/sparky in nature, so I would venture a guess that there is some kind of interference or similar getting into the wireline between the console and the base location. One other alternative is possibly an electrical failure inside the console itself.

Having seen it with my own eyes and hearing it in use I would say that is a very likely source.

Since it is probably a 2-wire circuit, because it is simplex only, I doubt anything is feeding back down the receive side to the console. On the other hand, if anything is I don't know how they would be able to stand it.

I have never heard this happen from someone transmitting. It just seems like it starts on it's own.

box23

Does anyone have a time frame when they started hearing this? And any explanation why our radios don't pick it up here in Sawyer County?

I would say a month ago or maybe two. I remember because it woke me up in the middle of the night because it was a constant kerchunk every second or so.

I'm not sure why you can't hear it. Are you using just portables, or mobile, base? I don't know how far south it will reach into the SE portion of the county.

The other thing is are you listening with CTCSS 100.0 or carrier squelch? Unless you have the radio in monitor mode using just EMS B will not pick it up because the radio would be looking for a DCS 156 code to unsquelch.

Again it isn't a continous thing either. At times it can be, but the majority of the time it will do it for a period of time and then just stop. I have heard it about once a second all night long a couple times. The other day I heard only 2 and then it stopped.

Being as sporadic as it is could you just be missing it by not having your radio on?

sfd119

sigh...

I believe someone called DSC to complain.

I would say a month ago or maybe two. I remember because it woke me up in the middle of the night because it was a constant kerchunk every second or so.

That's how I found it out. A few nights it got so bad to the point I locked it out of my scan list on my portable and the scanner.

sfd119

Sometimes it's literally a second. If you are not sitting on the channel it may not pick it up or you could be far enough away it won't unmute in time. Othertimes (if i'm not sitting on the channel) it will show up in the scan lists.

surferman2u

Hey all, keep your scanners open. One of the radios is shut off for a few days here so let me know if its still doing it so I can let the guys know that are working on this problem.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
From what I can figure, they do not hear it. When they transmit normally, as they unkey their system, being a tone remote, makes a very unique sound that I have never heard from any other hospital. From my analysis what we are hearing is a buzzing mixed in with that unique unkey.

The buzzing sounds kinda electrical/sparky in nature, so I would venture a guess that there is some kind of interference or similar getting into the wireline between the console and the base location. One other alternative is possibly an electrical failure inside the console itself.

Having seen it with my own eyes and hearing it in use I would say that is a very likely source.

Since it is probably a 2-wire circuit, because it is simplex only, I doubt anything is feeding back down the receive side to the console. On the other hand, if anything is I don't know how they would be able to stand it.

I have never heard this happen from someone transmitting. It just seems like it starts on it's own.

Ya mean like the old system they used on the railroad channels? That one was kinda like that, when the dispatcher would unkey the radio there would be a single DTMF tone that lasted for about 3 seconds (later on it was shortend to more like a second). Just curiously, is this like that? N9NRA

sfd119

Hey all, keep your scanners open. One of the radios is shut off for a few days here so let me know if its still doing it so I can let the guys know that are working on this problem.

Haven't heard anything.

sfd119

I was in Sawyer County all morning from 930 on and didn't hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.