EMS codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Can someone clue me into what the EMS people are talking about when they refer to a victim as RED or BLACK? I think there are others but I can't think of them.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Can someone clue me into what the EMS people are talking about when they refer to a victim as RED or BLACK? I think there are others but I can't think of them.

It's trauma triage guidelines.

Green = Minor
Yellow = Serious
Red = Critical
Black = Dead

Jim<

Along the same lines, Jim, can you point us to a place on the web maybe that lists the elements of the Glasgow Coma Scale. I know its a system of points in three categories, but Im curious of the criterion.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
epbernstein said:

Just remember there is no such thing as a GCS of 0, the lowest you can get is a 3, many folks get that confused. We also use a saying "less than 8 intubate" so that helps you understand that a patient with a GCS of 8 or less often is not able to manage there own airway helps when your considering the need for ALS intercept or chopper go, a big issue especially in most rural areas of Colorado.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
What does it mean when they refer to someone as priority one?

Only some systems use that and most are actually getting away from it, just another method of triage similiar to referring to a patient as a priority red, green or yellow.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.