EMS Helicopter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaelk

Who makes the call for a Chopper go? Can anyone in the public service feild make the call or does it have to be emt or better ?

KB9LMJ

I've heard PD officers call if they make it there and know enough to feel they need it. I've never really given it enough thought to ask if they are EMTs as well or not.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
papaelk said:
Who makes the call for a Chopper go? Can anyone in the public service feild make the call or does it have to be emt or better ?

Anyone Police, Fire, EMS, Park Rangers, Search and Rescue and actually lay citizens as well often launch Air Life Greeley into rural NE Weld County and land them in there back yards before any emegency services can get there.

Jim<

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
At DIA, the responding paramedic makes the determination, but the actual request goes thru airport ops.

sargeek

Chopper Go

Most of the chopper gos are done by protocals - When the dispatcher recieves a call that fits specific criteria then they will put a chopper on stand-by. The arriving first responders will then determine if the choper is needed. In rural areas police may send it before EMS arrives. You can always cancel it in route, but once the skid hits the ground someone has to pay the bill.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
sargeek said:
Most of the chopper gos are done by protocals - When the dispatcher recieves a call that fits specific criteria then they will put a chopper on stand-by. The arriving first responders will then determine if the choper is needed. In rural areas police may send it before EMS arrives. You can always cancel it in route, but once the skid hits the ground someone has to pay the bill.

Don't know where your located sargeek but local protocols do vary and skid hit the ground information is not accurate in Colorado.

Jim<

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Somewhat off track - I know the term "chopper go" is used frequently in the CO forum, and I know what it is, but this a term you'd hear the field personnel use on the radio?

"Engine 21 to Dispatch, chopper go"

Also, to add to Jim's last post, our protocals vary a great deal in Virginia depending on the air-medical service that's responding to the incident. Furthermore, we don't place helo's on "standby." We just make the determination when the helo is needed and immediately place the phone call to the appropriate location for the chopper.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
BoxAlarm187 said:
Somewhat off track - I know the term "chopper go" is used frequently in the CO forum, and I know what it is, but this a term you'd hear the field personnel use on the radio?

"Engine 21 to Dispatch, chopper go"

Also, to add to Jim's last post, our protocals vary a great deal in Virginia depending on the air-medical service that's responding to the incident. Furthermore, we don't place helo's on "standby." We just make the determination when the helo is needed and immediately place the phone call to the appropriate location for the chopper.

Yes Engine 21 could also request a chopper standby, chopper go or airborn standby.

Interesting we use standbys pretty much all calls that require a chopper and then make the determination once onscene to launch or standdown. The AB standby concept has also really helped us to reduce delays.

But that's one thing you will quickly learn is EMS is drastically different across county, state and sometimes even city lines.

Jim<

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Where is Med star out of?

Depends what area your referring to, the main Med-Star base is Washington, DC but if your hearing it locally then it's probably Memorial Star out of Colorado Springs.

Jim<

Memorial chopper takes flight

The new face of emergency medicine is more visible than ever in southern Colorado. Memorial Hospital’s new helicopter paid a visit to the Pueblo rural fire department, where they said they hope to provide more help in the coming months.

The new helicopter can fly over 150 mph, often cutting a 45-minute car trip down to just 15 minutes in the air. Paramedics said they hope air rescue will become a bigger part of emergency response in small towns, to help get patients to a major medical center before it is too late.

"You are confined by a lot of constraints on the ground, even with red lights and sirens,” said Mike Badgere a flight paramedic. “We're line of sight, direct-to."

"Tragedy is sort of inherent in this business, and we get in there where people are at their most scared and their sickest and their most hurt, and we get in there and try to do some good and help them," said Max Mabrey, another flight paramedic.

Memorial’s helicopter went into service last March. It covers a 100-mile radius around Colorado Springs.

Last edited:

cstockmyer

jimmnn said:
Depends what area your referring to, the main Med-Star base is Washington, DC but if your hearing it locally then it's probably Memorial Star out of Colorado Springs.

Jim<

Memorial chopper takes flight

The new face of emergency medicine is more visible than ever in southern Colorado. Memorial Hospital&#8217;s new helicopter paid a visit to the Pueblo rural fire department, where they said they hope to provide more help in the coming months.

The new helicopter can fly over 150 mph, often cutting a 45-minute car trip down to just 15 minutes in the air. Paramedics said they hope air rescue will become a bigger part of emergency response in small towns, to help get patients to a major medical center before it is too late.

"You are confined by a lot of constraints on the ground, even with red lights and sirens,&#8221; said Mike Badgere a flight paramedic. &#8220;We're line of sight, direct-to."

"Tragedy is sort of inherent in this business, and we get in there where people are at their most scared and their sickest and their most hurt, and we get in there and try to do some good and help them," said Max Mabrey, another flight paramedic.

Memorial&#8217;s helicopter went into service last March. It covers a 100-mile radius around Colorado Springs.

Thanks Jim..I in the Springs and saw it fly over. I asked the PFK behind the counter and all he knew is it was Med Star. Great Pics too!

Will that be able to go to the top of pikes peak? They have that Marathon that people run up and down pikes peak, and one year a guy had a stroke at the top and I could of swore they had to bring in a special helicopter to get him off the top..is that right?

Last edited:

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
cstockmyer said:
Will that be able to go to the top of pikes peak? They have that Marathon that people run up and down pikes peak, and one year a guy had a stroke at the top and I could of swore they had to bring in a special helicopter to get him off the top..is that right?

Not true at all. Both Memorial Star and Life Guard 3 (based at Penrose Hospital) can get to the top of Pikes Peak just fine.

cstockmyer

firescannerbob said:
Not true at all. Both Memorial Star and Life Guard 3 (based at Penrose Hospital) can get to the top of Pikes Peak just fine.

I could of heard wrong and or remembered wrong, sorry.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
cstockmyer said:
I could of heard wrong and or remembered wrong, sorry.

There is nothing to be sorry about, it was a legitimate question.
It's my understanding that if LG/3 and Memorial Star are not available for a call on top of Pikes Peak, the other med choppers in the state are not able to get up there. In that case one of Ft Carsons Blackhawks (assuming they're not all deployed somewhere) would be asked to go to the summit.

KG7JEV

Premium Subscriber
firescannerbob said:

Colorado Flight for Life (lifeguard's 1-5) use the Eurocopter A-Star B3 which holds records for high altitude operations. It is probably the best aircraft for use here in CO.

As mentioned above, just about anyone can call for the helicopter. In my experiences, it is better to have the bird on the way and not need them than the other way around. And most of the time the flight crew likes to be in the air than sitting in the lounge.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
bomber2782 said:
Colorado Flight for Life (lifeguard's 1-5) use the Eurocopter A-Star B3 which holds records for high altitude operations. It is probably the best aircraft for use here in CO.

As mentioned above, just about anyone can call for the helicopter. In my experiences, it is better to have the bird on the way and not need them than the other way around. And most of the time the flight crew likes to be in the air than sitting in the lounge.

And where might L/G 5 be based?

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.