EMS Narrowbanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What are the other EMS providers doing about narrowbanding the Hosp to Ambulance frequency (155.340) statewide?
We havent received any guidence from the state on this, anyone have any ideas?
Jim

WX5JCH

Banned
That is exactly what I've been working on. Nothing new from the state on this? No funding for the change over?

I've got my hospital and our local ems wondering what to do. It looks like I'm going to have to replace our base unit and have all the mobiles reprogrammed at least. Luckly, our VHF repeater is already narrowbanded for our hospital comm's.

WX5JCH

Banned
Yes, I've looked at that site. Nothing for non-state owned radios. I'll have to get with our motorola rep and see what kind of base he recommends I guess.
Thanks

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I see $$$$$$$$$$$ in Motorola's eyes. Take their response and do a bid with all vendors and brands, don't get pushed into MOTOTRBO ,NXDN or the like. Make sure the equipment you already have is NOT narrow band type accepted before doing anything. Get the FCC type acceptance numbers and run them through.

OET -- FCC ID Search

The big M loves people that call them in a panic about narrow banding. I don't doubt that they have an entire division devoted to it.

W2NJS

Just to put a finer point on what you've been told, the first thing to do about narrowbanding is to find out if your present equipment can be reprogrammed to work in narrowband mode. If it can't then you're going to have to replace some radios, but if it is capable then all you need is reprogramming of units.

Also, there is no, repeat NO, requirement in narrowbanding for you to change to any kind of digital operation; your current FM mode is still permitted and will work fine.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
It's been 7 years ....

It's a federal mandate of dubious usefulness (it will help users not at all) but a *federal* mandate nonetheless. I don't see the state jumping in with money.

I thought this was a good list of Myths and Realities:

FCC Part 90 LMR Narrowbanding Myths & Realities - WirelessRadio.net

Here's the actual FCC Report and Order. Note that it just turned 7 years old so, really not a new thing:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-292A1.pdf

Another, more technical narrowbanding FAQ:

http://www.narrowbandinglaw.com/faqs.html

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
This really is ad nausuem, but with narrow banding there will NOT be any additional frequencies made available on VHF especially in the areas that need them most, the cities. It has turned into a bonanza for the radio manufacturers to go on the fear of narrow banding and basically scare agencies to buy complete new radio systems when they don't need them. Sometimes on 800 when the agencies old VHF worked just fine. We are stuck with the mandate, so my opinion is to spend as little as possible, change systems as little as possible and especially NOT go digital. I wish everyone the best in this endevour, I have worked with agencies as well as my own and I only hope we get it done on time. The manufacturers are more interested in large scale systems then replacing existing ones causing delays on getting equipment.

WX5JCH

Banned
Well the state grant money has already been spent.
Oklahoma Office of Homeland Security - Narrowbanding
I'm going to have to do all this myself. I'm required to make the changes, as they can pull our funding to the facility if were not fully in compliance. It takes months of planning to do anything around here, so I guess I'll start today, only got 360 something days left...lol

JRayfield

Someone stated that a CDM750 is a 'comparable replacement' to the M-120. While it will work good, a more 'comparable' radio to the M-120 would be a CM200. It's a very low-cost, simple radio, with specs that would be very similar to the M-120. A CDM750 would have higher specs than the CM200.

Another unit that would work well is an XPR4350. The specs are going to be similar to the CDM-series, but it's a lot newer design. The CDM-series will be 'going away' a lot sooner than the XPR-series (in fact, Motorola has already discontinued some of the more 'specialized' versions of the CDM-series radios), so it might be well-worth the slightly extra cost to use an XPR4350 as compared to a CDM750.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Thanks, I was aware of that, we have already narrowbanded our repeater: WQKG919 (GREAT PLAINS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER) FCC Callsign Details

I'm using a motorola M-120 as a base for our Hosp to EMS radio. I know its not narrowband compatable. I'm going to have to develope a plan to work with the area EMS's to get everyone working together on this.

Thanks again!
Jim

JRayfield

And a sheriff's department near me did exactly what you're suggesting (reprogram and definitely don't go digital), and they lost around 25% of their range.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

This really is ad nausuem, but with narrow banding there will NOT be any additional frequencies made available on VHF especially in the areas that need them most, the cities. It has turned into a bonanza for the radio manufacturers to go on the fear of narrow banding and basically scare agencies to buy complete new radio systems when they don't need them. Sometimes on 800 when the agencies old VHF worked just fine. We are stuck with the mandate, so my opinion is to spend as little as possible, change systems as little as possible and especially NOT go digital. I wish everyone the best in this endevour, I have worked with agencies as well as my own and I only hope we get it done on time. The manufacturers are more interested in large scale systems then replacing existing ones causing delays on getting equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.