Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Advanced Life Support I think.

Correct.

BLS = Basic Life Support
ALS = Advanced Life Support

ALS crews have more advanced training for airway support, trauma care, can administer a wider variety of drugs ect ect. BLS crews are basically limited to supplying oxygen, performing CPR and administering non-controlled substances like Asprin for cardiac cases.

shadetree1999

pair of 3's?

Hey all,
Quite often I hear ems dispatched with something along the lines of "You're code 4 on a pair of 3's"....what's a "pair of threes"?

Thanks

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

shadetree1999 said:
Hey all,
Quite often I hear ems dispatched with something along the lines of "You're code 4 on a pair of 3's"....what's a "pair of threes"?

Thanks

Perhaps you are hearing the EMS call in to dispatch that the patient they have is code 3 CTAS 3. A call like that is gnerally not life threatening: broken limbs, sickness, etc.

shadetree1999

Thanks for the responses thus far, but no, it's not CTAS 3....hear that quite often as well, and I am aware of what the different CTAS levels are. Sometime ago, I saw a post in which someone else referenced "pair of threes", but didn't elaborate what it was.....I will see if I can find it.

RickLeb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Perhaps you are hearing the EMS call in to dispatch that the patient they have is code 3 CTAS 3. A call like that is gnerally not life threatening: broken limbs, sickness, etc.

In my area I hear the term "pair of threes" on a daily basis. As you said if refers to a Code 3 CTAS 3 call. This is the only type of call that the CODE and CTAS values are the same.

VE3JSO

Thanks for the responses thus far, but no, it's not CTAS 3....hear that quite often as well, and I am aware of what the different CTAS levels are. Sometime ago, I saw a post in which someone else referenced "pair of threes", but didn't elaborate what it was.....I will see if I can find it.

ems crews will often radio in dispatch and ether say we are 10-8 to such and such hospital code 3 ctas 3
or they will say 10-8 to such and such hospital pair of threes 3 and 3 etc

crossfire291

ems crews will often radio in dispatch and ether say we are 10-8 to such and such hospital code 3 ctas 3
or they will say 10-8 to such and such hospital pair of threes 3 and 3 etc

I have heard that too. I have heard: " 11blahblah is 3, 3, and 3 th PGH."

I have also heard: " 11yadayada is 3, 3, 3 to PGH."

I have heard the 3 "3's". I too know the difference in the codes, and CTAS levels, and how the paramedics usualy communicate them. Whis is usually : " 11xx is 3 and 3 to PGH." or "11xx is code 3, CTAS level 3 to PGH."

shadetree1999

Thanks everyone....that makes sense, code 3, CTAS 3.....ergo.....pair of 3's....

Sorry EJB, I didn't make the connection when you first posted it...slow on the uptake yesterday :)

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Litterally about 30 seconds ago, I heard 1161 say that they were "3, 3, and 3 at CEE."

CTAS Levels as per MOH .
CTAS = Canadian Triage Acuity Scale
Level 1- Resuscitation
This type of emergency patient is someone who is suffering from either severe respiratory
distress and or unconsciousness resulting from a major trauma. Typically the patient is
unresponsive with either unstable or absent vital signs. The patient is deemed to be
suffering from conditions that are a threat to life and/or limb requiring immediate
aggressive intervention.
Level 2 – Emergent
Conditions that fall into this category pose a potential threat to life and/or limb and require
rapid medical intervention. This emergency patient type could be suffering from such
symptoms such as but not limited to an agitated mental state, chest pain, abdominal pain,
symptoms associated with diabetes, some head pain or trauma or high fever (especially in
children) marked with other ailments such as vomiting and/or diarrhea.
Level 3 – Urgent
Conditions could progress to a serious problem requiring emergency intervention. These
patients may be suffering from serious discomfort and/or an interruption in their daily living
routine. Examples of symptoms may include but are not limited to head pain, chest pain,
mild to moderate asthma, mild to moderate bleeding and any symptoms associated with
dialysis.
Level 4 – Less Urgent
Conditions that are related to patient, age, distress or potential for deterioration. Symptoms
could involve, but are not limited to, chest pain, head pain, back pain, abdominal pain, and
depression.
Level 5 – Non Urgent
Conditions that may be acute but non-urgent as well as conditions that are part of a
chronic problem with or without evidence of deterioration. Intervention can be delayed
and/or referred to other areas of the health care system. Symptoms can be but are not
limited to minor trauma, emotional distress, sore throat, and abdominal pain

Vehicle Codes & Numbers
1 number = Region
2 number = The number of full lenght streachers the unit can carry
3 & 4 number = Vehicle Type & ID (This may include Supervisor/First Response vehicle, Fleet vehicle used to transport oxygen tanks & other stock to ED's so units can re-stock.

This is to the best of my recollection, I am sure any errors/additions will be cited with thanks.
~ Cheers

Last edited:

derevs

Just to change tmbstn's chart slightly;
Vehicles have 4 digit numbers, i.e. 3215 or 3306 or 3412 as assigned by the MOH and can be transferred between vehicles such as new vehicles replacing old.
The first digit is MOH assigned region.
The second digit is vehicle designation, a 1 or 2 designates it as an ambulance. I believe that there are no more 2 stretcher vehicles. a 3 designates the vehicle as supervisory or support. A 4 appears to be used for rapid response vehicles, 1 person only.
The third and fourth numbers are random.

To elaborate on support vehicles, only emergency support vehicles have provincial radios and designations. Casual support vehicles, i.e., re-stocking, are not provincially designated vehicles.

And just to add response codes:
Priority 1 - non-urgent
Priority 2 - appointment or meeting an aircraft, etc. These would be persons requiring a stretcher for transport.
Prioity 3 - urgent but not life-threatening.
Priority 4 - life-threatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.