EMSA Contract? Will TFD and OCFD Take Over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamhere300

tomokla said:
Doubtful.

1. Paramedic shortage statewide
2. Start-up costs outweigh any perceived "benefit"
3. FD facilities dont match needs for housing EMS units (name 10 fire stations with the room...much less 20)
4. Suburbs (Bixby, Jenks, Sand Springs) have to be consulted in the matter and I seriously doubt that they have.
5. The $$$ is made with non-emergency transfers. If TFD doesn't do this (which they wont) then their estimated cost savings is skewed and potentially incorrect.
6. Making 40+ more paramedics firefighters isn't easy and in many terms may be impractical.
7. What is the moral going to be of the 30 or so TFD paramedics now that might have to ride on an ambulance?

It "works" in BA and Owasso because they're smaller and thus cross-training is easier to complete. Houston may be the largest EMS cross-trained provider (not FD based EMS, cross-trained) and even they have policies and practices that will prohibit some of the things TFD will likely want to do.

As with anything it comes down to cash. In this instance, EMSA will "show" the city the money.

A

1. Paramedic shortage statewide. Perhaps, but won't they just be able to hire the majority of EMSA medics? (At least the full time people) That is what normally happens.

2. Startup costs? Who actually owns the medic units in tulsa, and anyways, since when has a government REALLY cared about that? If the percieved savings over 20 years makes up for it, they can do it.

3. Housing of units. Another argument for SSM. If they guys are never in house.... Why do they need a house? Seriously - that is something that can be handled. Park them outside, and slide some more bunks inside.

4. Why does Tulsa need the blessing of those other areas? EMSA can downsize, and still cover that area, or as Commshrek has pointed out, used any of the other options available to them.

5. Agreed. The real bucks are in the transfers, the long distance stuff. True emergency stuff is not profitable.

6. As the program starts, who says the medics have to be firefighters? Way back in the day, when we rode dinosaurs to the calls, and used jumper cables for defibs... (Once seen on a TV show) and the Fire Department first took over EMS, the medics were not trained as firefighters, but grandfathered into the system. As the medics started to want some of the benefits of being firefighters (firefighters got the kewl hats) they started to ask for cross training.

7. If done properly, the moral will be fine. Rotation of personnel back to the suppression side is a BIG key on that.

Just some thoughts. Not taking one side or the other.

tiawah466

The city of Tulsa technically owns the trucks.75% of the medics could not pass the physical to get into the firefighters pension system: EMSA would not be able to make enough money to stay in buisness just off of the small cities. If TFD did not do non emergency transfers and let EMSA run them they might possibly make enough money.

tomokla

1. Paramedic shortage statewide. Perhaps, but won't they just be able to hire the majority of EMSA medics? (At least the full time people) That is what normally happens.

I guess the true answer depends on whether Tulsa is proposing cross-trained personnel (which I imagine they would) or if they are simply creating civilian EMS employees. Civilian EMS within TFD means no changes - period - thus making no apparent reason to move the organizational chart below the fire chief. Cross-training EMSA's employees is a huge issue. The physical fitness and medical physical requirements will nearly eliminate 50 or so percent of the EMSA paramedics. Not to mention the fact that EMSA Paramedics may have zero desire to be firefighters as well. Like I mention, I am assuming this is a cross-trained scenario (Houston Model).

2. Startup costs? Who actually owns the medic units in tulsa, and anyways, since when has a government REALLY cared about that? If the percieved savings over 20 years makes up for it, they can do it.

Typical the overhead is the reason most programs don't get funded. Guess it depends on your view. As someone else mentioned the units are owned by the City of Tulsa, but we still have tons of overhead in station remodels, and indirect costs associated with finding a private service provider. This doesn't take into account the Personal Protective Equipment, Ambulance remodeling, etc that will have to occur. The workload on the city of Tulsa EMD will likely increase since "EMSA" will no longer be doing maintenance and the list goes on.

3. Housing of units. Another argument for SSM. If they guys are never in house.... Why do they need a house? Seriously - that is something that can be handled. Park them outside, and slide some more bunks inside.

And my point is one of the few benefits from TFD taking over would be the units having a "home". This assumes that the paramedics are on a 24hr shift (and if they aren't can you imagine the issues the current ff/paramedics will raise?). How would anyone like having to post and move all the time over the course of 24hrs? I think I'd put in an application to Houston and get to sleep in a bed. SSM is great for EMSA, but if TFD is going to take over the units will be housed - I have little doubt. I can't even think of a FD based EMS service that does anything similar to SSM (with cross-trained personnel) on a large metropolitan scale. Maybe fire trucks should go to SSM too if it is so great (and yes, I'm familiar with move-ups and fill-ins - rare in occurance)

4. Why does Tulsa need the blessing of those other areas? EMSA can downsize, and still cover that area, or as Commshrek has pointed out, used any of the other options available to them.

Those other areas subsidize EMSA too at the same rate Tulsa does (population base). Fire Departments have to work together and can you imagine the ripple effect that could occur if EMSA simply shut down? Simply going to a 3rd party is a joke. Look at the trouble Claremore/Catoosa has had with their private provider. Bottom line is these cities won't be left out in the cold and without EMSA serving the entire area, the funds wont be available to keep quality up.

5. Agreed. The real bucks are in the transfers, the long distance stuff. True emergency stuff is not profitable.

AGREED

6. As the program starts, who says the medics have to be firefighters? Way back in the day, when we rode dinosaurs to the calls, and used jumper cables for defibs... (Once seen on a TV show) and the Fire Department first took over EMS, the medics were not trained as firefighters, but grandfathered into the system. As the medics started to want some of the benefits of being firefighters (firefighters got the kewl hats) they started to ask for cross training.

Time always makes issues easier, agreed. However, this will have to be a question answered early on to determine whether or not these firefighters will enter the pension system and how their job will be classified. The State Pension Laws require an ALL or NOTHING rule for sworn employees, which mean that they cannot pick and choose which employees are or are not firefighters. They will have to determine if they are civilians (not cross trained) or sworn personnel so that the pensions of the current membership are not threatened.

7. If done properly, the moral will be fine. Rotation of personnel back to the suppression side is a BIG key on that.

I agree that rotation will help with moral. But, Point #1 - their is no one to rotate. Not to mention that many of the current TFD paramedics hold rank and wont be anywhere close to an EMS unit - this cuts the supply even further. Moral is always an issue with FD based EMS - hence the reason ambulances now get painted red. Paramedics who join the FD often (not always) want to be firefighters and use their medical education as leverage for their careers. If you stick firefighters on ambulances that wanted to be stuck on fire trucks applying ALS skills then you will likely lose those people or see moral take a serious drop. End of issue.

A

tomokla

and i guess i might also state that EMSA does a great job. I, for one, believe in EMSA and think that they are doing what is necessary to provide for the treatment and transportation of the sick and injured in NE Oklahoma. I too believe FD based EMS can work, but also know a good organization when I see it. Likely, the correct solution is to leave EMSA alone and let them operate effectively while encouraging ALS first response.

A

CommShrek

peterjmag said:
Well if TFD takes over does mean they will inherit EMSA's radios and go encrypted?

P.J.

The answer to that question would require a crystal ball for sure.

tiawah466

I would be willing to bet that if TFD takes over that the radios would stay the same. Fire on their talk groups and the ems would stay on the current talk groups. The encrypted part would require a crystal ball and mine is in the shop.

Last edited:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
iamhere300 said:
Ain't nothing like EMS in NYC. Nothing. Falling apart ambulances, falling apart people, and a rift that remains to this day between fire and ems.

NYCEMS compares to nothing.

Except that NYC*EMS was taken over (and not willingly) by FDNY nearly 10 years ago. Like in the Chicago FD, FDNY medics are not "sworn" and therefore are not real in the eyes of many of those on the suppression side of things.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Public Utility Model EMS

EMSA in Tulsa and OKC operate on what is known as the Public Utility Model. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Utility_Model for an overview. The idea was fleshed out in a bunch of articles and columns in Jems, circa 1983-1985. Ask your oldtimers for their back issues and look for articles by a guy named Stout. At that time, the four examples touted were, IIRC, Tulsa, OKC, Little Rock, and Kansas City. SSM, "quality unit hours", etc, all come from that.

The long and the short of it is that the contract comes up for renewal every few years. It's supposed to, it's designed that way. If the service provider (who is it in OKC now, BTW?) has been performing to the contracted levels, there is no reason why the EMS Authority won't award the contract to them again.

I have no beef with the IAFF, but they've been fighting against private EMS for a long time and this rumbling from TFD is likely an outgrowth of that.

As an aside, Stout was the first to point out that using averages for response time was bogus since that meant that roughly half your calls were higher than the average. His solution (implemented in public utility model EMS at that time - now too?) was to have response time specified as "90% under 6 minutes".

Peter
ex-NREMT-P

tiawah466

I just thought of this if TFD takes over they could do what EMSA is doing now and continue using an outside contractor for medics

iamhere300

plaws said:
Except that NYC*EMS was taken over (and not willingly) by FDNY nearly 10 years ago. Like in the Chicago FD, FDNY medics are not "sworn" and therefore are not real in the eyes of many of those on the suppression side of things.

Among most the rank and file were welcoming the merger. Most thought at the time that it would be a wonderful thing, accepted into, and equal to, FDNY.

Sadly, to this day, as you say, it has not happened, for various reasons.

Now, they are even further down on the funding ladder.

garys

Premium Subscriber
plaws said:
As an aside, Stout was the first to point out that using averages for response time was bogus since that meant that roughly half your calls were higher than the average. His solution (implemented in public utility model EMS at that time - now too?) was to have response time specified as "90% under 6 minutes".

Peter
ex-NREMT-P

Jack Stout is an EMS expert. He must be since he has been wrong about just about everything he has every proposed. The Public Utility Model was his brain child, as we System Status Management. Jack Stout is also the guy that promised at EMS Today in 1996 that within 18 months there would only be three EMS providers in the country. AMR, Rural Metro, and MedTrans would do it all and all other private, volunteer, and municipal services would be out of business. Not so much as it turned out.

The PUM is a great piece of slight of hand. It requires the municipality to assume most of the liabilities of running EMS, and allows the contractor to reap the profits. PUM shifts costs to the city by requiring FD first responders. Which is part of how the response time goals are met. MAST in KC, KS has had financial problems for years. MedStar, in Fort Worth has similar problems. Fort Worth is considering turning EMS over to the FD, but it's anyone's guess if that will happen.

The key to PUM models, as with SSM, it constant churn of paramedics and EMTs. These systems eat up field staff and shorten careers. That keeps wages down because new medics make less money than experienced ones. New medics will also put up with the BS of SSM, while experienced medics will move on to FD, helicopter, and other systems as soon as they can.

SSM is based on the premise that you can predict where and when emergencies will happen. Sure you can, if you have about 100 years of data, by which time the data will be useless. SSM is like cutting material off of one end of a blanket, sewing it on the other end and then saying that you made the blanket longer.

Gary

iamhere300

garys said:
The key to PUM models, as with SSM, it constant churn of paramedics and EMTs. These systems eat up field staff and shorten careers. That keeps wages down because new medics make less money than experienced ones. New medics will also put up with the BS of SSM, while experienced medics will move on to FD, helicopter, and other systems as soon as they can.

SSM is based on the premise that you can predict where and when emergencies will happen. Sure you can, if you have about 100 years of data, by which time the data will be useless. SSM is like cutting material off of one end of a blanket, sewing it on the other end and then saying that you made the blanket longer.

Gary

I bow to you sir. I don't know how it could have been put better.

CommShrek

KOTV Oklahoma's news channel 6 in Tulsa has been following this story and today they did a story on Broken Arrow Fire, (I think I mentioned them previously in this thread) who runs a fire based EMS system right next door to Tulsa. Here is that story for your entertainment / reading pleasure. :)

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=112507

Firecop203

One of the things that hasn't been mentioned is that if medics were hired by the FD from EMSA, they would have to be able to qualify and pass all the requirements of the State FD pension system. It's not just a change uniforms and move in process.

BigMacFire

OK -- Some clarification-

EMSA was established in Tulsa in 1977. The service area was expanded to include Bixby, Jenks, and Sand Springs, and then into Oklahoma City and Edmond in 1990. EMSA now has two divisions -- the eastern division, with Tulsa as the major city, and the western division centered around Oklahoma City.
Each year, we respond to more than 100,000 calls for help. We transport more than 60,000 patients to health care facilities each year

EMSA is a public utility. Meaning they are a corporation owned by the cities of Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

Here is the information- directly from EMSA's website- www.emsaonline.com

http://www.emsaonline.com/aboutemsa.html

EMSA, the Authority, is actually an extension of the Tulsa and Oklahoma City governments. As an arm of local government, EMSA puts out bids for a private ambulance service to provide emergency and non-emergency medical services and dispatching for the entire jurisdiction served. These service providers must meet stringent response times, and staffing and training requirements, as well as strict requirements for care. The personnel are monitored closely by EMSA personnel. Currently, Paramedics Plus holds the medical and dispatching contracts with EMSA.

Along with the contract oversight responsibilities, EMSA, through the city, owns all emergency services medical equipment used by the contractor to provide emergency services. EMSA also administrates the system, manages agreements, maintains patient records, bills and collects, purchases goods and services, markets TotalCare, deals the financial matters and makes policy recommendations to the Board of Trustees.

Mayors and City Councils of the communities EMSA serves appoint trustees to the EMSA Board and have final approval of any changes made to the Trust Agreement which governs EMSA operations.

The EMSA Board of Trustees is a group of 10 volunteers appointed by the Mayors and City Councils from Oklahoma City and Tulsa. The trustees have the responsibility of establishing EMSA policies.

Paramedic Plus is currently contracted with EMSA to provide emergency medical services personnel and to oversee operations.

The Medical Control Board is composed of emergency room physicians from hospitals in the communities served by EMSA. This volunteer board oversees all medical procedures and issues.

The Medical Director, also an emergency physician, is an employee of the Medical Control Board. This person develops and monitors the medical protocols followed by the EMSA medics and First Responders of the Fire Departments. EMSA works closely with First Responders in the communities to offer the fastest response to every call and provide universal coverage to individuals in our service area -- regardless of the patient's ability to pay.

Many of these newspaper articles state- via the IAFF union representative- that "the city just purchased new ambulances for EMSA" ---- Yes- they did- because the city owns them. They have always owned them, since the inception of EMSA. "EMSA" owns all of the 'durable' equipment (the ambulance itself, the cot, the LP12, the Medusa, etc... - while the contractor provides all consumable material (EMT's and PMEDS)- meaning the supplies that are stocked on the ambulance.

I don't see it happening. Both OCFD - and TFD are barely staffed as it is-- thanks to government wanting to 'do more with less...' They aren't going to suddenly absorb EMS - and things be peachy and fine...

The wheel isn't broken- why fix it.... Many of the facts in both the Tulsa world, and the Daily Oklahoman are mis-stated.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
You're a long way from Stoughton, mister. :D

garys said:
Jack Stout is also the guy that promised at EMS Today in 1996 that within 18 months there would only be three EMS providers in the country. AMR, Rural Metro, and MedTrans would do it all and all other private, volunteer, and municipal services would be out of business. Not so much as it turned out.

It was his plan for those privateers to shrink or go out of business completely another 18 months after that. Didn't you get the disclaimer handout?

I'm not trying to defend PUM EMS, just explain how some of it works. As for the "churn", that's how all private EMS services survive - up and out. At least with a PUM EMS, you've got a (theoretically) interested authority making sure things toe the line. OCFD and TFD won't be running ambulances any time soon - it would cost the cities too much to staff the ambulances.

car2back

peterjmag said:
EMSA blows! I hope TFD and OCFD take over EMS!

EMSA only blows b/c TFD sucks! :lol:

Man this is the best thing to happen in Oklahoma since Bedlam! Boomer EMSA baby!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.