EMSCOM System

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDodson

Does anyone know what the EMSCOM system is for. It's tagged as "EMS-Tac" I was thinking this might be the medical control patch channels but wasn't sure as I did hear anything late last night and can't try again for a bt until I get home.

Thanks,

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
That's what the intent was for this system. Nowadays, most patches are done via cellphones.

Med 5 is designated as the statewide calling channel for setting up patches but usually just carries DPS Ranger helicopter flight following traffic; Med 9 is/was used in Tucson for ambulance and helicopter system status management.

Here's the official site

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
That's what the intent was for this system. Nowadays, most patches are done via cellphones.

Med 5 is designated as the statewide calling channel for setting up patches but usually just carries DPS Ranger helicopter flight following traffic; Med 9 is/was used in Tucson for ambulance and helicopter system status management.

Here's the official site

The Emscomm channels are in use down here in Tucson. Plenty to be heard, but rather sedate...no pun intended :)

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
EMSCOM 3 is used on every medical call here in Flagstaff. Its used to tell the ER doctor what the patient details are.

EMSCOM 5 is used up here whenever DPS ranger in in the air.

JDodson

Thanks for the info on Flagstaff. EMSCOM seems pretty dead around here (Casa Grande/Coolidge/Florence area) but I'll be Flagstaff latter this year.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info on Flagstaff. EMSCOM seems pretty dead around here (Casa Grande/Coolidge/Florence area) but I'll be Flagstaff latter this year.

send me a private message when you're in town. Always nice to chat with a fellow radio enthusiast (especially up here, where I feel like the only one.)

E5911

Premium Subscriber
emscom

EMSCOM came about in the 70s as part of federally funded improvements to the EMS system. What is so unique about Az is EMS communications are centrally managed out of DPS. For those systems like the rural areas , to use the med channels you call DPS(EMSCOM) on MED 5 and request a patch to the hospital of your choice. What may people do bnot know is if the need arises to speak to a doctor on the other side of the state by telephone, DPS can do that too. They have the ability to patch maountaintops together. They also can, and have handled areomedical requests for first responders. Busier systems such as flag, Yuma and Phoenix have Standalone systems, Phoenix and Tuscon assign their own channels and yuma has Med-6 permanently assigned to Yuma regional.

There are 31 mountaintops under the control of DPS, one VHF subsystem(navajo county) and Med-5 is in every DPS unit on the road.

And yes EMSCOM has lost its luster to cellular networks and Trunked systems, but when I sopoke to the EMSCOM manager for DPS about its demise, he stated "something", like emscom will continue even if the state migrates to 700mhz in the future. Either the 460 system will remain, or they will upgrade.

JDodson

A little of the EMSCOM topic but is AZ State and DPS planning to/want to move to 700 Mhz? Phoenix Fire just went to 800 Mhz (mixed with their old VHF for hazard calls) so I'm going to guess that not everyone has plans to go to 700 Mhz anytime soon.

joen7xxx

I think we used to use channel 3 when I volunteered for Coolidge DPS back in the early 1980's. They had a combined police, fire and EMS system at the time. I volunteered on weekends on the ambulance. We were 2162, I believe. Pinal County Hospital was 2160. I think Casa Grande Regional Medical Center was 2380.

radiosean

Can anyone tell me about the EMSCOM system in AZ? Is it an analog or digital? Conventional or trunking? We're being required by our base hospital in Kingman to install the radios for hospital patch. I'm wondering if it's even going to work in the far northwest corner of Mojave County where we work. Haven't as of yet been able to get in touch with anyone at DPS that can tell me what we need to buy. Thanks for any info you guys can share.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me about the EMSCOM system in AZ? Is it an analog or digital? Conventional or trunking? We're being required by our base hospital in Kingman to install the radios for hospital patch. I'm wondering if it's even going to work in the far northwest corner of Mojave County where we work. Haven't as of yet been able to get in touch with anyone at DPS that can tell me what we need to buy. Thanks for any info you guys can share.

Its an analog conventional 15 channel 463 Mhz multi site repeater system. I would think the sites at Hualapai Mtn and Willow Beach should give pretty good coverage. Also, I believe you can patch to Clark County Las Vegas Fire Control as well. (At least you could when I was working EMS in Kingman in the 80s :cool:)

I believe it's still a state requirement for ambulances to have EMSCOM capability, not sure about non-transport units. Many rural hospitals rely on it for notification.

Status
Not open for further replies.