Enable all service types to start off with in 436/536

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody_46

Go into the Sentinel software and choose "profile"> Services tab and select all of them to start off with. I think a lot of new users might be missing transmissions due to default service settings on this tab during initial setup, I know I did. Once you get used to the scanner you can set avoids and shut off service types too. Also remember each time you write to the scanner the profile settings and changes you've made in Sentinel will overwrite most previous settings made from the scanner menu

Hope that helps somebody.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
That's actually how I'm using mine most of the time, with exception to special events I want to monitor. I even have a custom service to assign to "special" channels of interest.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I would have thought that it would be logical to have the default to ALL ON, rather than off.

This got me when I first started using my 436. I kept picking up transmissions on my 106 that my 436 was not getting.

But I finally read on the forum about this menu for selecting the service types. I clicked them all on and now all is good.

woody_46

My mistake was that I changed Service types in the scanner menu and overwrote them with Sentinel while making changes to FL lists etc. I had some WTF moments,lol.

I agree that all Service types should be on as default and let the new users fine tune it later on.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Well if the everyday user types or news hounds just type in the zip code, then most likely they just want police, fire, and EMS.

Scanner heads want to listen to it all, so you press the func+Zip/Services key on the 436, or the SERV key on the 536 to set the services of interest. :p

woody_46

What is important Dave is that Sentinel will overwrite many manual settings done from the scanner menu so the Sentinel setup is very important.

BTW I'll go against the grain here and say I find this scanner great (436) , especially after the new firmware fixes. It's doing a great job on the MPSCS Detroit simulcast system here across the river from Detroit.

woody_46

Lol @ RTFM! If I was UPman I would be so tempted to post that. If everybody RTFM it would be kinda quiet here.

Hit_Factor

BTW I'll go against the grain here and say I find this scanner great (436) , especially after the new firmware fixes. It's doing a great job on the MPSCS Detroit simulcast system here across the river from Detroit.

Agreed, I'm monitoring MPSCS from the SW corner of the state.

How is the OPP system doing on the 436? I go to Bruce (Kincardine) several times each summer.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Lol @ RTFM! If I was UPman I would be so tempted to post that. If everybody RTFM it would be kinda quiet here.

I've thought of making a macro keystroke :)

What amazes me is most or all of the manual was online before release. Sentinel has been out for 3-4 years.

Most of the programming issues are user error or ignorance.

When the HP1 came out, same exact programming issues and no one read before hand?

Personally - I do my research before purchasing - scanner, camera, electronics, whatever.

JamesO

Uniden needs to add a menu option on the ALL HP enabled scanners to easily toggle ALL Service Types on and then Toggle ALL Service Types back to your normal settings. They also need to add a Wild Card for Service Type that will effectively be ignored by the Service Type filter.

This simple addition would make the HP line of products SO MUCH more user friendly.

Late at night when things get quiet, I would like to push a few buttons to enable ALL Service Types, then with the same few buttons fall back to my "normal/default" Service Types.

To be required to go in and possibly turn on AND remember over 30 different Service Types just to hear some action is ridiculous.

Need some more folks to lobby for this SIMPLE feature change/improvement for Service Type toggle and Wild Card.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Service Searches

If you go into the Menu Set Scan Selection and set all lists to on, it will turn on all the service search lists as well as all your favorites. Back out and it will scan everything so you need to go into menu and select lists to monitor shut off all your favorites and leave only search with scan that should leave your service searches on.

Uniden needs to add a menu option on the ALL HP enabled scanners to easily toggle ALL Service Types on and then Toggle ALL Service Types back to your normal settings. They also need to add a Wild Card for Service Type that will effectively be ignored by the Service Type filter.

This simple addition would make the HP line of products SO MUCH more user friendly.

Late at night when things get quiet, I would like to push a few buttons to enable ALL Service Types, then with the same few buttons fall back to my "normal/default" Service Types.

To be required to go in and possibly turn on AND remember over 30 different Service Types just to hear some action is ridiculous.

Need some more folks to lobby for this SIMPLE feature change/improvement for Service Type toggle and Wild Card.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Excellent point Les! Even if you have changes setup in the favorites, you can quickly overwrite them with the Set all lists ON/Off. Then you can even select lists to turn on or of individually.

Also, once you're in one of the menus and want to return to scan, just press the AVOID key to return to scanning.

woody_46

Agreed, I'm monitoring MPSCS from the SW corner of the state.

How is the OPP system doing on the 436? I go to Bruce (Kincardine) several times each summer.

No issues with the OPP here at all H_F. I'm enjoying this radio. Thanks for all the replies!

JamesO

If you go into the Menu Set Scan Selection and set all lists to on, it will turn on all the service search lists as well as all your favorites. Back out and it will scan everything so you need to go into menu and select lists to monitor shut off all your favorites and leave only search with scan that should leave your service searches on.

Appreciate your response, but either I am missing something or your are missing something??

I am talking about the Service Type not Service Search.

What you are speaking about is enabling ALL Lists to scan if I am following what you stated.

What I am looking for is a SIMPLE and QUICK way from the scanner to enable/toggle on ALL Service Types to be scanned, then a SIMPLE and QUICK way from the scanner to disable/toggle off ALL Service Types to be scanned and go back to your "normal/default" configuration.

Again, I appreciate your suggestion, but not sure it this addresses what is needed an it may also be a work around. Tired of all the work arounds when the "feature" can easily and should be added in the firmware.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Appreciate your response, but either I am missing something or your are missing something??

What you are speaking about is enabling ALL Lists to scan if I am following what you stated.

What I am looking for is a SIMPLE and QUICK way from the scanner to enable/toggle on ALL Service Types to be scanned, then a SIMPLE and QUICK way from the scanner to disable/toggle off ALL Service Types to be scanned and go back to your "normal/default" configuration.

Again, I appreciate your suggestion, but not sure it this addresses what is needed an it may also be a work around. Tired of all the work arounds when the "feature" can easily and should be added in the firmware.

If you press Menu, then Set Scan selection, scroll to set ALL lists On, then look at the Select Service SYS, you'll see that all service types are set to On with the exception to the custom search. Now you can select the lists you wish to monitor.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Service Types

I mis-typed. If you do what I said and go into service types you'll see it turns on all service types.

JamesO

I mis-typed. If you do what I said and go into service types you'll see it turns on all service types.

Still not seeing this. Either I am defective, we are not getting the info across or you are dealing with a 436HP and the latest firmware version??

My 536HP with firmware version 1.03.03 only has Menu, Select Service Types, and all I have in the ability to turn On or Off each individual Service Type, at total of like 38!!!! I do not have an option to run on ALL Service Types.

What I want to see is the ability to easily turn ON ALL Service Types, then turn OFF all but what you original had configured.

So let me know what radio and firmware you have as well as the EXACT menu options.

If you are talking about the Sentinel software, this is not a QUICK and EASY way to do what I or other people need to operationally do!

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Menu

If you read my original post I gave you the exact steps. I thought you probably knew you hit the lower side button to get to menu.
Yes I have the 436 and the firmware that came out yesterday and in regards to this it's the same as the last firmware.

You need go through the steps I posted first then you'll see it turns on all service types. I am not at my radio now but I can go through it when I get home and post pictures step by step.

Dave seems to have done it after my posting so I don't think I left anything out but maybe so. Sorry if I wasn't clear the pictures should help

Still not seeing this. Either I am defective, we are not getting the info across or you are dealing with a 436HP and the latest firmware version??

My 536HP with firmware version 1.03.03 only has Menu, Select Service Types, and all I have in the ability to turn On or Off each individual Service Type, at total of like 38!!!! I do not have an option to run on ALL Service Types.

What I want to see is the ability to easily turn ON ALL Service Types, then turn OFF all but what you original had configured.

So let me know what radio and firmware you have as well as the EXACT menu options.

If you are talking about the Sentinel software, this is not a QUICK and EASY way to do what I or other people need to operationally do!

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Service Types

Uniden BCD436HP Firmware 1.03.00

EXACT steps
Radio On
Press side Menu Button
Set Scan Selection (Should be the first choice)
Press Yes
Set All Lists On
Back out of that by Menu
Scroll to Select Service Types
You will see all your favorites loading
When loaded you will see all service types were turned on

You will most likely want to go back into the menu and
Set Scan Selection
Scroll to select lists to monitor and turn off the favorites you don't want on

My previous post was not as clear however it had the same information.

Status
Not open for further replies.