Enable all service types to start off with in 436/536

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesO

Again, I am not trying be be difficult here, I am not seeing what you are claiming is in the Menu or is an Option for the Service Type.

So on my 536HP this is what I have:

Under Set Scan Selection, I can find and do this:

Menu, Set Scan Selection, and there is an Set All Lists Off and Set All Lists On option. Again, IMHO there needs to be an option to also choose User/Default/Last and a Set All List Off choice.

Under Select Service Types, I can find and do this:

Menu, Select Service Types, and then I can individually turn On and Off each one of 38 Service Types, however, there is NO Set All Types On or Set All Types Off selection or option that I can find in the menu structure. Again, there SHOULD NOT be a Set All Types Off option as the scanner would then not scan anything, it would display Nothing To Scan, the selection should be Set All Types to User/Default/Last.

This is what drives me ABSOLUTELY crazy when the software/firmware guys get SO CLOSE, but miss by a mile. This is a necessary FEATURE/OPTION along with a User Selectable Selectable Service Type that will ALWAYS be scanned, not filtered. As there are specific frequencies/Talk Groups that some would like to not turn off or have controlled/filtered by the Service Type.

Gilligan

Database Admin
In my opinion, the majority of users, from novice to expert, will desire to listen to all of the public safety traffic available. While there are a few users who may only wish to hear dispatch channels, most people buy a scanner to hear the action. For this reason, I would think that Uniden would program all public safety service types to default to ON instead of just the dispatch types. I seriously doubt that they ever expected to hear so many complaints of this brand new scanner 'missing traffic' that other scanners are hearing, and it seems like it would be a quick and easy fix to change the default in new firmware. That would solve a lot of problems for people who don't take time to read the manual, and simply punch in the zip code for their area instead, basically following the instructions of most of the videos online, including Upman's first demo video. Plus, you can always just avoid any channels that become annoying or that you don't wish to hear. Just my two cents...

JamesO

In my opinion, the majority of users, from novice to expert, will desire to listen to all of the public safety traffic available. While there are a few users who may only wish to hear dispatch channels, most people buy a scanner to hear the action. For this reason, I would think that Uniden would program all public safety service types to default to ON instead of just the dispatch types. I seriously doubt that they ever expected to hear so many complaints of this brand new scanner 'missing traffic' that other scanners are hearing, and it seems like it would be a quick and easy fix to change the default in new firmware. That would solve a lot of problems for people who don't take time to read the manual, and simply punch in the zip code for their area instead, basically following the instructions of most of the videos online, including Upman's first demo video. Plus, you can always just avoid any channels that become annoying or that you don't wish to hear. Just my two cents...

Pretty much agree with having all Service Types enabled, but again a simple firmware/Menu option would also be useful as well.

Nobody will ever complain about too much activity to listen to, but they will be unhappy when everything is quiet. Kind of like buying a car and it comes defaulted that it will only run in 1st gear. Everyone will complain why can't the car go more than 15 MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.