• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Enable DMR on all G4 / G5 Prior to 4-1-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Done ! Tested and working. Good job Unication.

New firmware hopefully coming soon as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I was given access to this upgrade a couple weeks ago, upgraded my 2.5 year old G5 to a “67”, then uploaded two of my local Ham DMR repeater freqs. The G5 now receives DMR, but only on ONE freq (VHF) and ONE timeslot at a time. I can program in a number of talkgroups, including a wildcard TG, into a knob position and then hear everything on that one timeslot. BUT if I put several such knob positions in a scan list, with a Slot 1 knob, and Slot 2 knob for each different output freq, the scanning process doesn’t work right. It’s intermittent. The G5 will randomly stop on a transmission but then miss the next one, or miss a couple transmissions before stopping again. I’ve verified this with a Uniden 436 scanning the same two DMR repeater frequencies. Don’t know what’s up. Could be in my programming but I’ve tried everything I could think of to no avail. Just curious if other folks are getting a scan list to work properly that has DMR channels in it.

Thanks!

N6ML

What's the wildcard for DMR talkgroups? I tried FFFCDF (the max value), with two knob positions (one for each time slot) for the local ham repeater, which claims to use color-code 1. There seemed to be activity earlier, but I wasn't hearing/seeing anything on the G5, other than bars on the signal strength meter. I don't have a working DMR receiver to compare against at the moment.

Edit: I may have gotten it working by enabling "repeater mode". Not sure exactly what that means, but since I enabled it, I heard a little burst of audio, which I think was someone "kerchunking" the repeater. Will listen more tomorrow.

Last edited:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@ W8RMH - Yes. We have a few by us. One is even a County Sheriff dept which I will be testing later with my G5. We also have a Chrysler Factory that is using 800mhz too. BUT I've noticed the "range" of these are really low. One nearby is at the O'Hare Int Airport. Only has a 3 mile radius of transmitting around the facility. Just check your own STATE in the database on the TRUNKED tab on top where it lists all types of Trunked systems in the states.

jcook11

Feed Provider
@ W8RMH - Yes. We have a few by us. One is even a County Sheriff dept which I will be testing later with my G5. We also have a Chrysler Factory that is using 800mhz too. BUT I've noticed the "range" of these are really low. One nearby is at the O'Hare Int Airport. Only has a 3 mile radius of transmitting around the facility. Just check your own STATE in the database on the TRUNKED tab on top where it lists all types of Trunked systems in the states.
But it doesn't decode trunked DMR (Tier 3). Which is a bit disappointing because around here most 800 MHz DMR systems are trunked.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
But it doesn't decode trunked DMR (Tier 3). Which is a bit disappointing because around here most 800 MHz DMR systems are trunked.

In theory you could put all the freqs for your trunked system into a scan list and monitor it that way. Wouldn't work well for a busy system obviously, but if there isn't a lot of traffic this can work pretty well. You'd need to have two knob positions for each frequency - one for each time slot. And have the talkgroup wildcard entered for each. But right now I'm not having success scanning DMR with my G5 as I posted above. Could be I'm missing a check box or something somewhere, but I don't think so.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
None in Ohio.
The Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority (SORTA) and Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky (TANK) in the Cincinnati area use 800 MHz DMR. I use my G5 to monitor them.

I am currently attempting to update the firmware on my older G4 and the AutoUP site keeps saying it can't be reached.

N6ML

For the record, I am receiving the ham repeater successfully. Summary of what I did (or what I remember doing!):

1) On D2, create a Conventional Frequency for the repeater's output (12.5k width)
2) On D3, create two Protocol entries, "Protocol Type" = DMR, the first one with "Repeater Slot" = 1, second with 2.
3) On D4, create a Group named "DMR All" with "DMR TGID" = FFFCDF (hex)
4) On D5, create two knob positions, monitor mode, select "Conventional Frequency", select "Protocol Alias" for slot 1 or slot 2, select "DMR Color Code" for the repeater (you'll need to know what it is - not sure if there's a wildcard for it?) enable "Repeater Mode", enable "DMR All" in "Talk Group List".

cookmaster

N6ML,how do you Create a Group name “DMR All” with DMR TGID,when i go to D5 and put in a conventional DMR Frequency in and set it all up,i am getting message that says “Please put one group into the talk group list,I don’t understand what the software is asking me or where to put the talk group list at???

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
N6ML,how do you Create a Group name “DMR All” with DMR TGID,when i go to D5 and put in a conventional DMR Frequency in and set it all up,i am getting message that says “Please put one group into the talk group list,I don’t understand what the software is asking me or where to put the talk group list at???

It's in the "Group ID Setting" tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.