Enabling & Disabling Departments and Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa2sqq

I finally got done creating all my favorite lists and now I want to start implementing Department name Quick Keys and Channel name Quick Keys.

1. While I’m scanning a favorite list, how do I enable and disable Departments from within any given favorite list? (Assuming I have more than one Favorite list open?

2. While I’m scanning a Department, how do I enable or disable a Channel Name?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There are 3 levels of Quick Keys (QK):
Favorites List QK (FLQK)
System QK SQK)
Department/Site QK (DQK)

There is no such thing as a "Channel Name QK."

To toggle the state of a quick key:
To toggle a FLKQ, simply FLQK (E)
To toggle a SQK, FLQK.SQK (E)
To toggle a DQK, FLQK.SQK.DQK (E)

If you want to toggle an element in a current list, you can eliminate the FLKQ number. For example, to toggle SQK 5 in the favorites list you are currently scanning, you can press ..5(E).

wa2sqq

Thanks!

Man you're fast! Thanks
Picked up the "Channel Name" from the from that column in the Department list.
Sri for the error.

After using the Sentinel software for several weeks I'm finding it works quite good, and no need to buy the 3rd party software that I was seriously considering. Just wish I could "cut and paste" several channels from one FL to another.

Those who are intimidated should just dive in a explore.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just wish I could "cut and paste" several channels from one FL to another.

There are a couple of ways you could accomplish this. One is to arrange your Favorites List and associated quick keys. You would, for example, create a new department which would include your "Favorite" channels (cutting and pasting), giving it a different Department Quick Key. Then you could lock out all other department quick keys and just be scanning that Favorite within the Favorite.

Also, and this is a little more cumbersome. You could save the source FL as an HPE file. Then import that HPE file as a new Favorites List and cull the unwanted stuff. Be sure to use a different Favorite List Quick Key however.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A caveat on trunked channels: You should not include them in multiple departments. If, for example, TGID 3212 is in both Department A and Department B, and you've disabled Department B, but not Department A, what should the scanner do when TGID 3212 becomes active? You would have told it to both pay attention to it (in A) and ignore it (in B).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Upman - do you anticipate any revisions to Sentinel such that more than one Favorites can be opened at the same time, or possibly having two instances of Sentinel running at the same time?

It might also be nice if there was a "move" function so that one can avoid the redundant/conflict potential. Acknowledging "Cutting and Pasting" is pretty much a "move" task with "cutting and pasting" compated to duplication (copying and pasting).

AC2OY

Ok I finally acquired enough courage to ask this programming question? When editing something in my favorite list and wanting to assign a LED alert light to a group of frequencies. How do you make more than one line at one time work. If I wanted to do let's 6 or 7 at one time I can't find the way. I tried control + A but it dosen't highlight more than one line at time. I know there has to be a way but I just didn't discover it yet. Thank you gentleman ahead of time!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok I finally acquired enough courage to ask this programming question? When editing something in my favorite list and wanting to assign a LED alert light to a group of frequencies. How do you make more than one line at one time work. If I wanted to do let's 6 or 7 at one time I can't find the way. I tried control + A but it dosen't highlight more than one line at time. I know there has to be a way but I just didn't discover it yet. Thank you gentleman ahead of time!!
That one is easy.

Set the first one to your choice of color and "flash option" (if any).
With that first one 'highlighted', copy it (<CTRL>+<C> or right click with the mouse, or edit menu).
Next, click on the first one you want to change, highlighting it.
Now, holding down the <Shift> key, click on the last one in the string to change. They should all be highlighted now.
When you click on the last one in your list, you'll get the pop-up menu for setting the color. Select cancel on the menu.
Now, 'paste' the color value you copied from the first one into all the rest of them using <Ctrl>+<V>, the mouse, or the paste from the Edit menu.

If the channels you wish to change are not contiguous, hold down the Control key and select the ones you want to change.

Note: Once you have copied the "color" to your clipboard, you can then use it on more than one system / department to flag channels with the same color.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That's what I did - a little cumbersome, but effective.

I assign my light colors based on service (blue police, red fire, etc.) I sorted my channels using Service Types, assigned the colors, then re-sorted them by channel name. It made the process a little faster and I didn't miss any channels or assign an incorrect color.

atlong

Database Admin
UPMAN...question on this operation of toggling Departments. I have 3 Favorite Lists set up in my scanner, each with between 10 and 20 Systems and each System programmed with between 0 and 20 something departments. The scanner is mounted in my car and when I travel around the region, I need to be able to toggle Systems and Departments within those Systems efficiently. I've gotten pretty good at hitting the keys without taking my eyes off the road, but I am seeing a possible bug/problem with toggling Departments. When I toggle a department ON, I often see the display state that it is ON, before going back to scanning, when I know as a fact it was already ON. I then proceed to try and toggle it OFF again, but it still says its ON. Why does this happen? I've noticed this only happens on certain programmed Systems and not all, as well. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.