• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Enabling TwoTone Alert & Finding Frequencies

kjv6789

Premium Subscriber
Hello! I am still very new to this so I apologize but I have a lot of questions.

I have had a Kenwood TK-2170 for 2 years now, personal radio that I was authorized to purchase through both of my EMS agencies. It has been pre-programmed to FleetSync with the rest of the agency's radios. But the issue is, I have absolutely no idea how to enable a pager tone when a certain tone is hit for an agency.

Basically I am dumb and obviously not transceiver literate.

The EMS agency I currently work at, I don't know what their frequency is for when their tones go off. I need to find that out, and once I do, I need to program my Kenwood Radio so that when those tones are hit, it makes an alert tone like a pager. I am not familiar with FleetSync, nor am I familiar with DTFM. There are also no other radios that I can grab data from, and copy over to my own, at this agency.

I need help in figuring out how to make my radio go beep beep beep beep if my tones are hit. Please help.

kb4mdz

My initial answer is your department should be able to tell you the tones, and if they can't, your 911 Center that does your dispatch should know the tones.

It's possible your current depatment/PSAP uses 2-tone pageout, or even another format. Again, the 'Powers That Be' should be able to tell you.

Where are you located; it says you're in NY, but where?

wd8chl

If you have a scanner or know someone who does, it can probably decode the tones for you.

I don't know of any scanners that can decode two-tone without knowing what the tones are to begin with.

To the OP: There is no way any of us would know what those tones are. Your department is the best source.

a417

U+0000
You will need to ask the authorities for specifics. If they are using QC2, you might be out of luck - i don't see anywhere on the specification sheet that the x170s will do QC2 signalling.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
i don't see anywhere on the specification sheet that the x170s will do QC2 signalling.

They should encode and decode quickcall just fine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221227-135358_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227-135358_Opera.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20221227-135714_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227-135714_Drive.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 17

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I don't know of any scanners that can decode two-tone without knowing what the tones are to begin with.

To the OP: There is no way any of us would know what those tones are. Your department is the best source.
It's trivial, my 396XT and SDS 100 both decode Quick Call tones. You just put the scanner in the correct mode and park it on the frequency, it will display what tones are being broadcast.

wd8chl

It's trivial, my 396XT and SDS 100 both decode Quick Call tones. You just put the scanner in the correct mode and park it on the frequency, it will display what tones are being broadcast.

Well, my 996P2 doesn't do that...<shrug>

a417

U+0000
They should encode and decode quickcall just fine
Interesting! I appear to have found an unreliable source. Thank you for that.

It's nice that the moto stuff is included and the "other" firmwares that the x180s used to require is gone by the wayside.

Last edited:

n2mci

I had a audio spectrum analyzer that would read peak frequency out. I'm not sure how accurate it was, but you should be able to get close
By comparing it with other know frequencies.

Just a though.

bytehog

Premium Subscriber
Your dispatch center or city/county radio techs should be your first go-to for tones, but.... If you can get ahold of a recording, you can use the program audacity to decode the frequencies, and tone lengths, etc.