Encrpyption & the 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Will the 396xt show ENC for encrypted traffic on both trunked and conventional? I have a P25 conventional frequency programed with a NAC. But all I hear is a high pitch squeal at the begining, and then nothing. The display shows the frequency and the NAC. I thought it would show ENC.

Thanks
Mark

SCPD

QRT
Yes it will show ENC on both P25 Conventional and P25 trunking. It should mute the audio and start scanning agian.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I monitor a system that uses Motorola's proprietary encryption (ADP) versus the typical AES or DES. Whenever a talkgroup that is ADP encrypted is received, I do not see an ENC.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I monitor a system that uses Motorola's proprietary encryption (ADP) versus the typical AES or DES. Whenever a talkgroup that is ADP encrypted is received, I do not see an ENC.

I can personally confirm something related to this, whenever the BCD396XT is scanning conventional frequencies and I transmit on P25 using ADP, the scanner does stop on the frequency, shows the 'ENC' and it stays on the frequency muted without skipping it like it does on trunked systems TGs. Can't remember if the XT is supposed to skip conventional ENC or if this behavior due to the ADP.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I never see ENC. Only the NAC that i've programmed.

I think that's because you have the frequency on the scanner set to 'Digital Only'. Try and set the Audio Type to All. In other words, I can duplicate what you're saying and it looks like it's the default behavior to only show the NAC in certain modes.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
So I changed the audio type to all, and it does show ENC. But it also stays on that channel until the transmission is finished. On a local Motorola type 2 system, I see ENC, but then the scan continues. There has been so much activity on this frequency that I had to lock it out. I wish it would resume scanning.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If the frequency and talkgroup is ALWAYS encrypted, why not just lock it out in the first place. Not much reason to listen to a channel you can't listen to. Or are you trying to catch the off-chance "in the clear" transmission?

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
They just switched this "inter-op" channel to P-25. Now they seem to be in love with encryption. But that seems to defeat the purpose of interoperability doesn't it. But what else is new. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.