Encrypted comms in the clear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

markab

Anyone else monitoring the unencrypted comms now happening on Fleetnet Z1, OPP Intelligence, Organized Crime 1? Most (all) of their transmissions over the last 2 hours or so have been in the clear! I won't repeat anything that I've heard (recorded) here but there has been some interesting "exchanges" going on. It's not often that I hear comms that are suppose to be encrypted in the clear but when I do it can be interesting :)

Mark

Last edited:

neoengel

I've listened in on that channel when my HP was on Fleetnet Z1 rotating through MTO and OPP when I've been through the Niagara and Hamilton areas. In 3 occasions it was in the clear and had much colourful language used by the officers too ;)

Gonna try listening in to it more - did you hear this exchange in Waterloo Region?

EDIT - that channel does NOT come up listed as encrypted in the HPDB as it does for Niagara etc. so as far as I know it's above board.

Last edited:

markab

Comms

I've listened in on that channel when my HP was on Fleetnet Z1 rotating through MTO and OPP when I've been through the Niagara and Hamilton areas. In 3 occasions it was in the clear and had much colourful language used by the officers too ;)

Gonna try listening in to it more - did you hear this exchange in Waterloo Region?

Hi Neoengel,
I'm not sure where the officers were but I was monitoring it at my home location in Cambridge. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything in the last hour or so. Perhaps someone read my post and tipped them off :)

Mark

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I noticed that you guys arent neubs so you cant hide behind that.

Why would you guys mention on a very public forum that you are listening to the talk groups that you do?
Do you understand that these talkgroups and the chatter are generally encrypted for a reason.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe you would be doing something wrong by mentioning this, the largest forum in the world for scanner's?

And finally, did you ever stop to think that there are plenty of law enforcement on these sites, looking for people like you to post publically that these talkgroups are active?

The only thing you have achieved here is that you have drawn attention to yourself and now maybe, just maybe someone with the OPP has saw this and is going to tell the officers to click their encryption button.

I have always aimed to help out anyone and everyone who needed help here. I have always remembered the people who helped me out to figure things out with scanners and I wanted to pass on any knowledge to others whenever I can.

You have no business mentioming what stuff you heard and it is wrong to do so, almost against the law.

This new generation of IPhone scanner people and others who have no idea what they are doing but do not listen to reason.. I have had it.

To all of you newbs who need help, I hope you get it but it isnt going to come from me.

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

Guys... Keep talking and you will have nothing to talk about.

It is bad enough you listed the talkgroup, but you went on to say the general area that you heard the comms ..

Command30

As many will tell you - "discrete is elite". I think we can all admit to making this mistake at least once, eventually you will learn from it.

And on to other matters...

I noticed that you guys arent neubs so you cant hide behind that.
This new generation of IPhone scanner people and others who have no idea what they are doing but do not listen to reason.. I have had it.

To all of you newbs who need help, I hope you get it but it isnt going to come from me.

Right, so in your very first sentence you've identified that the users in question aren't considered newbies. And then you proceed to disparage and rip new users to shreds, presumably because you need to release your anger. Sorry, but this logic is fail.

While I agree this hobby attracts many "special" users that might aggravate some, take a minute and consider this is a community-based website and that tension isn't very welcoming. Personally I choose to vent offline when necessary.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
As many will tell you - "discrete is elite". I think we can all admit to making this mistake at least once, eventually you will learn from it.

And on to other matters...

Right, so in your very first sentence you've identified that the users in question aren't considered newbies. And then you proceed to disparage and rip new users to shreds, presumably because you need to release your anger. Sorry, but this logic is fail.

While I agree this hobby attracts many "special" users that might aggravate some, take a minute and consider this is a community-based website and that tension isn't very welcoming. Personally I choose to vent offline when necessary.

Ok, so now you had a chance to climb up on your soapbox:

There are a few of us here who go above and beyond to help newbs and to help others learn things here. I dont know you and I dont know what you have given to this site and its members but I know what I have done and it is substancial. I have given up evenings helping people over the phone, I have met up with people and I have made a good deal of friends here.

Check out the wiki, take a look at the articles I have written, you do better, thats a challenge.

If you have a question and you are new and these scanners today confuce the hell out of you, I have been there and if I can help I am going to.

When it comes to the original posters happily mention that " whoa! I hear the OC Cops swearing and talking bad about people" and others engaging them with comments like " I am in K/W. What tower are you hearing them?"

Thats when I get angry. Keep what you hear to yourselves. If you want to talk about listeninmg to cops say f*cK and "rawwwwwggggg" send a BBM or IM to your friends. I dont want to see it I dont want to know. When they are active here in the GTA you are never going to hear it from me or anyone else with an ounce of sense.

Disrete is elite

And as for neubs, I am tired of the barrolrols et all who have no problem listening to a feed but give them a scanner and they do not know what the hell they are doing. They do not take advice, they ask the wrong questions they talk when they should learn.

I am not a moderator, my personality is probably too volitile to handle crap like that but ask those who know me if I am part of the problem or part of a solution.

Good day

markab

Clarification

I am the original poster and I want to clarify some things;

A) I never stated where the officers were -infact I didn't know. I only stated the city where I was monitoring it from. Given that most repeaters have a 20 mile transmission radias it's hardly giving away the location of any officers.

B) I never quoted what the officers said.

C) The mentioned TG would have been transmitting in the clear whether or not I brought it to anyones attention.

I made the post to let those who were interested a chance to hear some comms that are rarely available. For all I or anyone here knows they may have been transmitting in the clear deliberately.

Mark

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I am the original poster and I want to clarify some things;

A) I never stated where the officers were -infact I didn't know. I only stated the city where I was monitoring it from. Given that most repeaters have a 20 mile transmission radias it's hardly giving away the location of any officers.

B) I never quoted what the officers said.

C) The mentioned TG would have been transmitting in the clear whether or not I brought it to anyones attention.

I made the post to let those who were interested a chance to hear some comms that are rarely available. For all I or anyone here knows they may have been transmitting in the clear deliberately.

Mark

The next time you hear anything on those tac or talkgroups that are encrypted err on the side of caution and dont post it. You have no idea what they are doing and making a public comment on their activites public could compromise the situation at worst or have someone tell them that they should use encryption at best.

markab

Encrypted comms

The next time you hear anything on those tac or talkgroups that are encrypted err on the side of caution and dont post it. You have no idea what they are doing and making a public comment on their activites public could compromise the situation at worst or have someone tell them that they should use encryption at best.

Hi EJB,
Thanks for the advice. As I stated previously I never posted any particulars regarding what I heard. I only informed others that a particular TG was transmitting in the clear. If this shouldn't have been the case, and someone here rectifies the situation then that's a good thing for the officers involved. Otherwise it is an opportunity for other scanner enthusiasts to monitor a more unique series of comms.

Mark

VE3RADIO

Hi EJB,
Thanks for the advice. As I stated previously I never posted any particulars regarding what I heard. I only informed others that a particular TG was transmitting in the clear. If this shouldn't have been the case, and someone here rectifies the situation then that's a good thing for the officers involved. Otherwise it is an opportunity for other scanner enthusiasts to monitor a more unique series of comms.

Mark

You clearly don't get it.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm... Perhaps it's you who doesn't get it.

Mark

No, WZ1 gets it, it is you who doesnt.

Anytime you hear anything on the talkgroups that are generally encrypted like the ones you saw DO NOT , repat DO NOT post that you have heard them ITC (thats in the clear). It is not ok to post that you are hearing them but its ok, you did not mention what they are saying or where they are.

Again, keep anything like this to youself and should you feel the need to brag about your find or want to tell the world about, go somewhere else.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Again, keep anything like this to youself and should you feel the need to brag about your find or want to tell the world about, go somewhere else.

Do not tell people to go somewhere else or what to or not to post. As you said, you are not a Moderator. Members can post that info here if they want. We have no rules against that. The only rule pertaining to posting what you hear would be SWAT or active surveillance. Nothing the OP posted was against the rules.

If you want to explain why you *think* they shouldn't. Fine. But do not tell someone to not post or go somewhere else.

Last edited:

bigcam406

im pretty sure most of us hobbyists come across certain tg's that arnt usually in the clear,and we hear things that we otherwise shouldnt.but this forum is about information concerning the hobby in the area,not about what we hear.discreet is elite!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Do not tell people to go somewhere else or what to or not to post. As you said, you are not a Moderator. Members can post that info here if they want. We have no rules against that. The only rule pertaining to posting what you hear would be SWAT or active surveillance. Nothing the OP posted was against the rules.

If you want to explain why you *think* they shouldn't. Fine. But do not tell someone to not post or go somewhere else.

Yes sir!

Since I got your attention perhaps this thread should be shut down. But you are the boss and it is your call
:)

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

The OP was posting about active surveillance.. those talkgroups are used for nothing else... thus he is actually breaking forum rules.

I am not sure in what world "OPP Intelligence, Organized Crime 1" are used for anything other than active surveillance.

Last edited:

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Posting detailed information such as addresses/locations of active surveillance/SWAT activity and what one is hearing on those type of channels is what's against the rules. Simply posting that there is activity in the clear on those channels is not against the rules. He did exactly as he was suppose to. He left details out.

Listen, I can understand your guys' argument about not wanting to loose those channels if they are in the clear. In my opinion, most agencies running full time encryption know when they are running in the clear. I'd say it's more likely than not that it's not an accident when it happens.

Again, You all are more then welcome to post your opinions on the matter. But what is not acceptable is you setting the rules on your own by telling people to go somewhere else and post it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.