Encrypted Digital Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmaxim

I live in Prince William County, VA and one of the local fire chiefs told me that they use a digital system and the its encrypted for the Occoquan, Woodbridge, Lorton fire dept... Does that mean that it's a waste of money to purchase a nice digital scanner to try to pick up anything that is going on in the area? I'm a newbie to the entire scanning/am radio hobby so forgive me for not knowing everything!

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
I live in Prince William County, VA and one of the local fire chiefs told me that they use a digital system and the its encrypted for the Occoquan, Woodbridge, Lorton fire dept... Does that mean that it's a waste of money to purchase a nice digital scanner to try to pick up anything that is going on in the area? I'm a newbie to the entire scanning/am radio hobby so forgive me for not knowing everything!
Also, you might want to ask this question in the Virgina forum where perhaps someone who is familiar with the system in question could answer more accurately as to what is encrypted.

Dave

beastieboy101

The PWC system is NOT encrypted for the fire department, however very few of the police talkgroups are encrypted.

michaelmaxim

Yep. I'm slowly learning how to read the database and what everything means. I see the D is digital and E is for encrpyted now...

Looks like only a few talk groups and the SWAT one is encrypted at this point.

Thanks guys!

gcgrotz

FWIW: Over here in Charlottesville, some of the rare encrypted comms I've heard on the city/county system were on the Fire Marshall's talk group.

Welcome to the group!

Status
Not open for further replies.