Encrypted HF Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
All I have a station I have been monitoring tonight on 6.630 USB that sounds like encrypted voice traffic with some sort of beacon sounder that appears to be transmitting in bursts in the back ground. Any ideas what station this may be? The enc traffic seems to be very frequent and what ever it is there is a lot of chat going on its just scrambled so I cant make any of it out.

Rob

brandon

Database Admin
I'm not in a position to monitor right now but if I had to guess maybe your hearing the Mexican Army? I picked them up before in what sounded like Tadiran voice scrambler in bypass mode and they had quite long transmissions. Other times it has been completed encoded. Here is an audio sample of Tadiran voice scrambling if you want to compare.

See this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/utility-listening/156450-5542-0-khz-unid-spanish-comms.html (unfortunately don't have the audio file anymore). I also logged a similar net on 6228 kHz. OM gave locations in Baja California incl. Isla Natividad, Punta Blanca, Guerrero Negro, San Ignacio, Punta Abreojos and Santa Rosa. Other frequencies logged: 4885 and 4117.5 kHz and likely many others to be found.

SCPD

QRT
Brandon that was it scrambled transmissions with beacon like bursts mixed in with it.Very interesting stuff... I have never encountered that type of comms before on HF. Thanks for the reply.

Rob

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nah, hams do it all the time with 100W or less in the mobile. They're not far from our 40M band on 41M which "go long" in the evening so it's a safe bet they can be heard better in RI than they can hear each other.

brandon

Database Admin
FYI the 5542 net is active as of now 0212z. Fully encrypted this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.