Encrypted on Toronto Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipslope

I've been hearing encrypted traffic on TPS talkgroup 19472 (Toronto South tower). I think they are testing at the moment. Will some talkgroups be going encrypted?

pathalogical

I've seen those ID's as well, and hit the L/O button. I believe someone said they are digital as opposed to encrypted...not sure though.

slipslope

My scanner is digital... It sounded encrypted to me. Although it would make for poor scanning, I hope someone gives them the money to go encrypted... at least for the major crime/surveilance/drugs&guns... Our boys in blue deserve the best...

Encryption???

encryption is bad, I live in a town where the police use good old un-encrypted, and through listning to the police transmissions I have assisted the police with multiple felony arrests.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Motorola_XTS_Trunked said:
encryption is bad, I live in a town where the police use good old un-encrypted, and through listning to the police transmissions I have assisted the police with multiple felony arrests.

you assisted the idiots you talked about in this post you made:

Motorola_XTS_Trunked
Member Join Date: Aug 2003

Let me start off by saying that the state police from troop k in colchester connecticut and the local police aren't exactly the brightes bulbs.

The use Motorola XTS 3000 Model II (I believe) for portables, and motorola astro spectra's for mobiles, I know this because I have done some "police explorer" work with them.

slipslope

I should add that I would have no idea what was happening in my community without having a police scanner. It wouldn't cost them hardly anything to tell people whats happening in their own backyard, but they don't. Grrr.

mbstone99

Toronto PS

slipslope said:
My scanner is digital... It sounded encrypted to me. Although it would make for poor scanning, I hope someone gives them the money to go encrypted... at least for the major crime/surveilance/drugs&guns... Our boys in blue deserve the best...

With those 19xxx talkgroups sometimes they are just digital.. sometimes they are digital and encypted. It just depends if they decide to turn encryption on or not.

Matt

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
slipslope said:

Are you for real? Then you would have nothing to put on your feed.... lol

Encrypted doesn't mean its the best, it just means we can't listen to them any more...

jellotor

Motorola_XTS_Trunked said:

And there, ladies and gentlemen is the exact reason why some agencies are pushing for encryption: to keep clowns who think they need to assist the cops with multiple felony arrests the hell away from the trained professionals.

xml

Bingo.

Go technology.... encryption and digital are only getting cheaper (well, sort of)...

slipslope

Well I have no intention of assisting in felony arrests, but want to know what kinds of problems police are dealing with and where exactly in my community. Unfortunately, the radio is the only way.

slipslope

Right now police appear to be doing a surveilance operation around a high rise residential building near hwy 10. Digital but unencrypted - talkgroup 19392 - check it out on my feed...

slicerwizard

slipslope said:
Right now police appear to be doing a surveilance operation around a high rise residential building near hwy 10. Digital but unencrypted - talkgroup 19392 - check it out on my feed...
So much for being discreet. Those comms don't belong on a scanner feed. Not that I expect you to understand that.

thrace_merin

yeah, putting surveillance and special ops talkgroups on a live worldwide scanner feed is exactly the reason why PS agencies go encrypted, why would you want to risk their operation and possibly their lives like that?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Dude... seriously NOT cool.

Streaming regular operational talkgroups...well, I think it's a stupid idea, but if you must.

But surveillance/tactical channels??? Seriously. It's this kind of activity that gets the encryption turned on quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.