Encrypted radio license for SCPD?

bitzan20

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I’m part of a team of scanner listeners in the St. Cloud area that post on Facebook and Twitter pages to try to keep our community aware of what’s going on. I know some agency’s like Hennepin County Sheriff give the media access to their encrypted channels. Does St. Cloud MN police do that? If so would we apply? Obviously we would limit what we post if they did give us access to their encryption. And who would we contact?

Thanks!

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I commented on your Facebook page a couple months ago. Copied directly from Facebook.

Hello all, first time commenter here. I live on the other side of Stearns County in Sauk Centre, and active over at the Radioreference.com

forums. First, of all St Cloud PD started to encrypt Dispatch because of task force to decrease crime in the St. Cloud area. There was a news article I can't seem to find back in August about it. Second, encryption is happening nationwide because of the use of scanners and social media. Posting on social media about things being heard on the scanner and people screwing with officers on scene is what has caused many PDs throughout the nation to encrypt. DO NOT POST THINGS YOU HERE ON THE SCANNER. Also, to the comment on transparency, that's a non-issue. Many PDs broadcast a delayed stream for this reason.

stmills

I know some agency’s like Hennepin County Sheriff give the media access to their encrypted channels.
None of the PSAPS that went encrypted have given Media access to their encrypted channels. The only breaking police news covered in Hennepin County comes from the Cities that aren’t encrypted- Minneapolis, Bloomington, Edina & Richfield.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Second, encryption is happening nationwide because of the use of scanners and social media. Posting on social media about things being heard on the scanner and people screwing with officers on scene is what has caused many PDs throughout the nation to encrypt. DO NOT POST THINGS YOU HERE ON THE SCANNER.

Nah, they've just finally found the excuse and have the radios to do what they've wanted to do for ever.

Many PDs broadcast a delayed stream for this reason.

This is great until they have an incident they know will be an issue and they pull it down. Then you're stuck putting in in a FOIA request which they'll stonewall as long as possible.

VexingRaven

Actually the biggest drive for encryption, as evidenced by the ARMER TOC meeting minutes, is the FBI standards for Criminal Justice Information handling. The feds are pushing hard on not passing any of that stuff unencrypted, and the easiest way to comply is just to encrypt everything.